smeeze

Aaron Jones 2018 Outlook

This is probably going to turn into the Colts three headed monster back field just with more talent. I can envision Williams and Jones splitting series with Ty Mont getting all passing down work. Fantasy headache 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

So I was reviewing AJones's game logs from last year, since I just bought shares today...weeks 3-6 last season he appeared to be headed towards the lead back role (62 carries) then he disappeared (19 carries weeks 7-12). Does anyone recall why?

(PS I'm searching now, but I was here already)

1 minute ago, cutter311 said:

So I was reviewing AJones's game logs from last year, since I just bought shares today...weeks 3-6 last season he appeared to be headed towards the lead back role (62 carries) then he disappeared (19 carries weeks 7-12). Does anyone recall why?

Maybe around the time Ty mont, came back 

4 minutes ago, cutter311 said:

IIRC he got injured last year

1 minute ago, HOF12 said:

Maybe around the time Ty mont, came back 

Monty had 15 carries weeks 7-9, then was gonzo...Weeks 9-16 Williams took a ton of carries...with "meh" success

I can see this backfield shaping up to be 60% Aaron Jones, 30% JW, 10% TY.

Aaron Jones is too explosive to not be the lead back here, plus he's worked on his pass blocking ability in the off season. Williams is a nice change of pace but I believe AJ will command this backfield going forward. The aspect I do not like is the lack of play action we're going to see from the Packers going forward due to Rodgers' injury but I still think he can be effective in the pistol/quick passing game.

Ideally I'd like to see Montgomery go back to his natural position and take some snaps at WR, but that's the aspect I'm not too sure of yet.

williams is not really that good, jones is a beast. they'll figure that out quickly, if not from the start.

• Like 1

Fantasy is always amusing. Every player that is a threat to a player they own is trash and bad. Just look at the Chris Carson thread. Williams doesn't have to be great to keep hold of the lead back job.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Fantasy is always amusing. Every player that is a threat to a player they own is trash and bad. Just look at the Chris Carson thread. Williams doesn't have to be great to keep hold of the lead back job.

Well except Williams is not that good 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cutter311 said:

Hurt his knee (MCL) and he then tried to rush back and reaggravated the same injury. 

• Like 1

People in here thinking an extra yard per carry (15-20 carries per game = 15-20 extra yards per game) is more important than keeping the best QB ever healthy. LOL. 

Pass blocking is by far the most important aspect in Green Bay's offense for the RB position. 

This is William's backfield. 

2 minutes ago, jccouger said:

People in here thinking an extra yard per carry (15-20 carries per game = 15-20 extra yards per game) is more important than keeping the best QB ever healthy. LOL. 

Pass blocking is by far the most important aspect in Green Bay's offense for the RB position. 

This is William's backfield. 

How many points do you get for a block? Why do you want to own an RB who can block but can't do anything else? 

16 minutes ago, devaster said:

i don't own jones by the way.

it's just the way they run the ball really, jones is much more explosive. the only thing that will keep williams in is his pass protection, and given the fact rodgers is limping already that may be a big factor.

but if i want to pick a guy to run, it's jones and not even close.

Just now, disasterisk said:

How many points do you get for a block? Why do you want to own an RB who can block but can't do anything else? 

Because he is actually going to be on the field getting the touches when they do decide the run the ball.

Jones will come in for 5-6 plays a game in obvious running situations, or to spell Williams when he is tired. He could be a solid handcuff though if Williams gets hurt. The only problem is if Williams gets hurt and Jones comes in, he will probably get Rogers killed with his pathetic pass blocking and then the whole Green Bay offense will be a dumpster fire. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

You're missing the point.  He's not advocating for anyone to own Williams.  He's just saying the Packers don't care as much about RB production (or, fantasy points) than they do about protecting AR. 

4 minutes ago, jccouger said:

Because he is actually going to be on the field getting the touches when they do decide the run the ball.

Jones will come in for 5-6 plays a game in obvious running situations, or to spell Williams when he is tired. He could be a solid handcuff though if Williams gets hurt. The only problem is if Williams gets hurt and Jones comes in, he will probably get Rogers killed with his pathetic pass blocking and then the whole Green Bay offense will be a dumpster fire. 

Is there anything to back up Jones being pathetic in pass protection?

They have relied on a converted WR to play RB-- and pass block for Rodgers. I would hope a conventional RB could at least display similar abilities in pass protection. If so, I see no reason GB would not trust him enough to be their lead back. 

14 minutes ago, jccouger said:

Spell williams that’s a good one hahahaha

18 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Is there anything to back up Jones being pathetic in pass protection?

6 minutes ago, rahuLL said:

is there any data/evidence that says Jones is a brutal pass blocker as ppl suggest?

No, it's just parroted by the anti-Aaron Jones crowd. He looked serviceable in pass protection last year and the story over the summer was that he bulked up in an effort to improve pass protection specifically. It's also a skill that can be vastly improved upon with some help from NFL caliber coaches who actually focus on it.

Williams is the perfect example of a guy you have on your fantasy roster that you never want to have to start but one that probably shouldn't be on waivers either. He's the guy that just clogs up your bench for the entire season that you hope you never have to start. These are the kind of players that I absolutely hate rostering. Very little upside (if at all) but a guy who you never really want to drop.

Jones is the perfect example of a talented guy that if given a decent workload could turn into a league winner. A guy that you don't feel bad about rostering on the edge of your bench because you know if he hits, he'll hit big. He has great upside but his floor is admittedly very low. He's in my opinion the perfect kind of player you want to stash on your bench. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

No, it's just parroted by the anti-Aaron Jones crowd. He looked serviceable in pass protection last year and the story over the summer was that he bulked up in an effort to improve pass protection specifically. It's also a skill that can be vastly improved upon with some help from NFL caliber coaches who actually focus on it.

Thanks, that's what I had thought. Williams has looked good in pass protection from the games I have seen, no doubt. However, to simply blanket Jones being "awful" or "pathetic" with no support seems a bit disingenuous, especially since he hasn't taken the field in 2018 to showcase improvements.

7 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

Could be the 2017 ravens back field all over again. 

2 minutes ago, daguyondacouch said:

Why is anyone calling Jones or Williams a beast?  They're both not very good.

I do not see any posts referring to either as a beast? Only speculation on potential.

Looks like Jones was, as has been said above, injured, re-injured, then playing back-up to TyMo & Williams at the end of last season. 

I suppose we, the AJ owners (especially since I JUST got my shares via trade), will have to hope he repeats what he did during weeks 3-6 last season IF he's given a chance, but this could indeed remain murky.