RedDogNamedClippers

Kristaps Porzingis 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

They're giving conservative signals, but February is late. Add some time to ramp up to significant minutes. 60% he'll be getting 25+ min/game by fantasy playoffs?

 

I don't see them giving a guy that young an extra two months recovery -- missing the whole year -- if a doc says okay and he's practicing at speed. He's still developing.

 

Ya knever know, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you drafted him for $2 like I did,

immediately put him on the IR, then picked someone up who has produced then it’s a free roll.  If you spent a significant amount of money on him why the f--- did you spend a lot of money on a guy likely to miss the entire fantasy regular season?  The only people I feel badly for is people who have him as a keeper.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odds are he will probably sit out the entire year.  However, the Knicks may decide to bring him back late to show potential free agents he is healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t be shocked if he sat the entire season and I also would’ be shocked if he played like 10-15 min just so they can get a look at their team full strength to gauge for next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there's still a possibility of being out the entire season. plus, it seems that Fizdale is more concern about the long-term/future of his players. in short, tanking mode, again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm optimistic about stashing Porzingis, even for this season. Comparing his situation to Zach LaVine's last year:

 

LaVine: Torn ACL on 2/4/17 at age 21. Wound up as a prized young asset on the tanking Bulls who brought him back on 1/13/18, about 11.5 months later. You could argue they had every reason to let him sit out the whole year too, as one of their untouchable assets (they gave him a huge contract after the year) and look how well he's playing this year.

 

Porzingis: Torn ACL on 2/13/18 at age 22. At the time, he was unanimously viewed as better than LaVine, however it appears LaVine is closing that gap and obviously he was viewed as HUGE piece to the Bulls FO as evidenced by that contract. Now, I know that no two front offices are the same. But this years Knicks and last year's Bulls are pretty similar in regards to tanking. If the Bulls brought back LaVine 11.5 months after his ACL tear at 21, then it's not unreasonable to think the Knicks could do something similar and bring him back, say 12 months after the surgery so around 2/13/19.

 

To me, that's worth a stash if you have an IL spot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the draft has passed there’s another consideration as to why you’d draft him.  If you’re in an auction draft the format makes you take 13 players (or wherever your leagues settings dictate).  A lot of the time you’d rather not waste $1 or more on a pick that 90% of time is going to be dropped for a waiver wire addition.  You’d rather just draft 10

players, save the money, and pick up three players from the waiver wire as soon as the draft is over. Assuming you can draft someone like Kristaps for $1 you can kinda do that. He serves as a filler you can immediately put onto the IR and pick up someone from the ww.  It’s basically a free roll.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Although the draft has passed there’s another consideration as to why you’d draft him.  If you’re in an auction draft the format makes you take 13 players (or wherever your leagues settings dictate).  A lot of the time you’d rather not waste $1 or more on a pick that 90% of time is going to be dropped for a waiver wire addition.  You’d rather just draft 10

players, save the money, and pick up three players from the waiver wire as soon as the draft is over. Assuming you can draft someone like Kristaps for $1 you can kinda do that. He serves as a filler you can immediately put onto the IR and pick up someone from the ww.  It’s basically a free roll.  

I'm sorry, I'm a bit slow. Can you explain that one to me again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Although the draft has passed there’s another consideration as to why you’d draft him.  If you’re in an auction draft the format makes you take 13 players (or wherever your leagues settings dictate).  A lot of the time you’d rather not waste $1 or more on a pick that 90% of time is going to be dropped for a waiver wire addition.  You’d rather just draft 10

players, save the money, and pick up three players from the waiver wire as soon as the draft is over. Assuming you can draft someone like Kristaps for $1 you can kinda do that. He serves as a filler you can immediately put onto the IR and pick up someone from the ww.  It’s basically a free roll.  

well,I don't think any competitive league will let you draft some high upside inj player like Porzingis and Cousins for only $1 or last round in draft day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kane said:

well,I don't think any competitive league will let you draft some high upside inj player like Porzingis and Cousins for only $1 or last round in draft day

All my leagues are $200+ buy in (most of which are filled with guys with 500+ posts in this forum and/or 60%+ win rates on yahoo) and 14+ teams and I got kristaps for $2 in one.  Cousins went for more than I was willing to spend in all of them.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, T_Rex said:

I'm sorry, I'm a bit slow. Can you explain that one to me again?

I’m saying that in all the auction drafts I’ve done (whether being stars and scrubs or balanced) you typically spend all of your money on your top 9-10 guys.  This is particularly true in roto leagues where you’re capped at 820 games.  But most commissioners don’t change the league settings from 13 team rosters.  So the interface forces you to draft 13 players.  $1 players are typically Hail Mary gambles or low upside 150ish ranked players who you will probably drop as soon as a hot player on the wire becomes available.  So you almost always waste those last few dollars/slots.  You’d be better off just spending all of your money on 10 players, leaving the last few rosters spots up, and picking up guys from the wire for free after the draft.  But the interface won’t let you, you have to draft 13 players.  So if you can draft Kristaps cheaply enough, say $3 or under, then you can just put him on the IR, and pick up the hot ww player.  So it’s a free roll bc the player you would have drafted instead of kristaps would have been dropped for the hot wire add.  But now you don’t have to drop anyone!  Free roll.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thornton1986 said:

Anyone picked him up with the news that he was sprinting?

I don't think that is a big milestone with an ACL. Sprinting is a straight line movement and I am sure he was given plenty of room for deceleration. It is going to be lateral movement, cutting, explosive basketball movements that will be the milestones. He is many, many weeks away. The more the Knicks go with youth (like Mitch Rob starting) the more I think KP is not going to make a significant impact this season. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 5:59 PM, CFN said:

I'm optimistic about stashing Porzingis, even for this season. Comparing his situation to Zach LaVine's last year:

 

LaVine: Torn ACL on 2/4/17 at age 21. Wound up as a prized young asset on the tanking Bulls who brought him back on 1/13/18, about 11.5 months later. You could argue they had every reason to let him sit out the whole year too, as one of their untouchable assets (they gave him a huge contract after the year) and look how well he's playing this year.

 

Porzingis: Torn ACL on 2/13/18 at age 22. At the time, he was unanimously viewed as better than LaVine, however it appears LaVine is closing that gap and obviously he was viewed as HUGE piece to the Bulls FO as evidenced by that contract. Now, I know that no two front offices are the same. But this years Knicks and last year's Bulls are pretty similar in regards to tanking. If the Bulls brought back LaVine 11.5 months after his ACL tear at 21, then it's not unreasonable to think the Knicks could do something similar and bring him back, say 12 months after the surgery so around 2/13/19.

 

To me, that's worth a stash if you have an IL spot.

 

Porzingis is 7’3” with the body of a stringbean. To directly compare his recovery to that of an athletic 6’5” shooting guard is a little misguided if you ask me.

 

Not saying that I’d be shocked if he returns at some point this season, but I think it’s pretty likely that it would be for no more than a handful of games toward the end of the year and in very limited minutes. Whether that’s worth a stash is up to you to decide based on your team and league situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Asapjoshy said:

I don’t think he’s coming back this year ?

 

To be honest , his injury at his height requires less rehab , with the advancement of ACL injuries his original ligaments are reinforced, we are talking about the Knicks, one of the most valuable franchises in the world. They might not be the best team but their doctors are top notch, he’ll have a titanium ligament like Wolverine where it regenerates every game. ??? nah but he will most certainly come back, guards require more stress and a lengthier rehabilitation program with all the quick cuts they have to do. Porzingis is fine and New York will need him playing this season in order to assure pending free agents who want to cash out on the big Apple. Kanter is gone and nobody else on this team has a max contract. It will be interesting to see how Kristaps comes back, he could possibly give the NBA a boost post all star break. When NYK are playing well Madison square garden games are much more delightful for the fans to enjoy. Those Sunday morning games are fun to watch and I’m getting nostalgia now

Edited by CityBaller8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CityBaller8 said:

and I’m getting nostalgia now

 

Let him play one game first at least...chill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Head coach David Fizdale said he doesn't think Kristaps Porzingis (knee) is as close to returning as the big man says he is. "I know he’s feeling better, obviously his progress. We’re all excited about every step he takes forward," Fizdale said. He added that the Knicks have no interest in bringing him back before's 100 percent and that he doesn't envision Porzingis practicing anytime soon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoHablaIngles said:

Why is Fiz always contradicting KP? 

 

It's his job as a coach to temper expectations and the Knicks aren't exactly in a position to win right now. No need to rush your franchise cornerstone unless the Knicks don't have their pick but even if they don't, they must absolutely make sure he is 100% before he is cleared to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Knicks have been absolute garbage since the Patrick Ewing era.

 

They sign terrible free agents, offer questionable long term contracts and their management is probably top 3 worst in the league.

 

the two positives this organization has had since Ewing retired is Linsanity, which they fumbled because of Carmelo and drafting Porzingis.

 

As dumb as they are, they would have to be next level stupid to bring porzingis back this year.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't stash, you will not smash.

Edited by JormaJormala
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can look at it two ways: 1. they would be dumb to bring him back this season because he would help them win games. Conversely, they may want to bring him back this year if healthy to show KD, Kyrie, Butler etc that Porzingis is healthy and will be ready for next year. I think he will play, but probably just the last couple of weeks of the season - so irrelevant for fantasy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soccer8098 said:

You can look at it two ways: 1. they would be dumb to bring him back this season because he would help them win games. Conversely, they may want to bring him back this year if healthy to show KD, Kyrie, Butler etc that Porzingis is healthy and will be ready for next year. I think he will play, but probably just the last couple of weeks of the season - so irrelevant for fantasy. 

 

that does make sense, but lets be honest... KD isnt coming to NY lol, nor is anyone worth while...its a pipe dream... the same dream we've been hearing about for years...

 

so, if thats their rationale for having KP play this year...jsut another misstep in a long line of missteps by the knicks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jim james said:

 

Knicks have been absolute garbage since the Patrick Ewing era.

 

They sign terrible free agents, offer questionable long term contracts and their management is probably top 3 worst in the league.

 

the two positives this organization has had since Ewing retired is Linsanity, which they fumbled because of Carmelo and drafting Porzingis.

 

As dumb as they are, they would have to be next level stupid to bring porzingis back this year.

 

 

 

 

 

Why are people still so hung up about Jeremy Lin? He has proven to be an average point guard in the NBA who is always injured. Even though it sucked to let him leave for nothing, but with the poison pill contract Houston offered him at the time, I said good riddance! 

 

I think Porzingis will come back this year though. When you are a player you want to play, so if he feels both mentally and physically ready I think he will play. Most players return after 10 months (December) and 12 month (ASG) if you want to be conservative, but apparently there's really no added safety past 12 months.

 

https://nypost.com/2018/09/27/doctors-arent-sure-about-kristaps-porzingis-acl-hesitation/

 

 

Edited by bballshinobi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...