RedDogNamedClippers

Kristaps Porzingis 2018-2019 Season Outlook

I like this theory.  KP was good to play but the knicks rather hold him out because of his value as a trade chip.  Why risk injury since Knicks were playing for nothing except draft position and him getting re-injured only hurts them.  KP told Knicks he was ready to play but they told him no.  He didn't like it so that is why he was traded.    You hate to think the Knicks would do that to their top guy but the franchise is being handled poorly at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if no FA sees NY as a place to play. 

In the end, it is just speculation on our end.  Maybe KP is done and Knicks knew it.  Instead of playing him and we finally see he has lost the step and can't regain his former status.  He then becomes an asset worth nothing.  It isn't like players of KP's height who had good careers derailed by injuries. 

Edited by danman227460
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, danman227460 said:

I like this theory.  KP was good to play but the knicks rather hold him out because of his value as a trade chip.  Why risk injury since Knicks were playing for nothing except draft position and him getting re-injured only hurts them.  KP told Knicks he was ready to play but they told him no.  He didn't like it so that is why he was traded.    You hate to think the Knicks would do that to their top guy but the franchise is being handled poorly at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if no FA sees NY as a place to play. 

In the end, it is just speculation on our end.  Maybe KP is done and Knicks knew it.  Instead of playing him and we finally see he has lost the step and can't regain his former status.  He then becomes an asset worth nothing.  It isn't like players of KP's height had good careers derailed by injuries. 

I also take up the former of the two theories. The latter is less plausible. Mavs would’ve surely done their research in such a trade package. There was also that article where Fizdale said he had to tell himself to “look away” during practices because the sight of the seven foot monster dunking and dropping 3s was getting his hopes up. This was during the week when he said Zingis was ramping up and in a great groove in his rehab.

It makes sense.. if you play detective a bit, ACL time table puts him about ready.  Sure it's harder on a big guy but he's also young.   He was dunking awhile ago, and indicate that he's getting close, then NY panic'd and said he's not close or something like that.  Clues are there.  Motivates makes sense..  If you wait for official confirmation.. he's prob gone before you get to him.   

Plus it makes sense that we'll get some clarity from Mavs soon I'd imagine with their plans with him.. so it shouldn't be a long hold until we get better info.   

Edited by drummerboy7816

Let's see what happens after the physical, like Drummberboy said, we shouldn't have to wait too long either way.

20 minutes ago, FANTASY_KING said:

Picked him up, hope he's back before all star break 

if so, the optics will be terrible for the Knicks. The one thing athletes hate more than losing is DNP-BS. What FA wants to go to a team steeped in both?

4 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

if so, the optics will be terrible for the Knicks. The one thing athletes hate more than losing is DNP-BS. What FA wants to go to a team steeped in both?

You heard about the trade.....right?

This is my theory, and I've started looking into this when it was rumored that Spurs & Pop were planning on pursuing KP. To start, I think KP would of been held out this entire season to depress his market value and allow the Knicks to offer/match for much less than a player of his caliber would usually be offered. The biggest clue is their inability to reach a contract extension before the season started. This never happens to any young player of his caliber, Jokic, Booker, Wiggins, Towns to name a few as they all signed extensions prior to hitting restricted FA. Obviously the Knicks would want to wait and see how his rehab goes before extending similar to what the Bulls did with Lavine coming off the ACL injury. I assume KP wanted the max, and Knicks were unwilling to give it to him at that time (rightfully so).

The next part is where things get weird as early in the season both KP and Fizdale raved about how close KP was then the organization back tracked and continued to delay his return. The latest evaluation was scheduled in mid Feb meaning about 20 games would be left in the season. At that point I felt like the Knicks would just rule him out for the rest of the year and allow KP to hit RFA with zero evidence of his play post ACL tear, and for a 7ft3 big man I doubt any team would be willing to commit serious long term money to KP. Only the Knicks would of known how he looked in practice/training and this situation would of led to an extremely depressed market value for KP.

As the Knicks are planning to be major players in this years free agency class saving money would of taken priority over resigning and taking care of their star in the making. I assume Kristaps noticed this and was upset that saving money was prioritized over allowing him to return and play with his teammates. If this is what happens it's an extremely sad situation as the Knicks essentially tried to bully their young star and depress his market value.

Edited by FantasyBallFan

Carlisle: Zero timetable. It will be later than sooner, i am sure of that.

:(

Like I was saying... 

Cuban: Kristaps Porzingis (knee) unlikely to play this season.

And like I said the Knicks did zero wrong. The smart thing is to give this guy more rest and as much as possible. The Mavs tanked the season with that trade yesterday. 

Edited by chud12

Wasted a roster move for the week, but at least nobody else is going to benefit from picking him up lol. #petty

• Like 1

It was too good to be true :lol:. Congratulations to all who didn't believe he will play this season. And DROP CITY!

Unlikely doesn't mean he's out for certain/ they are shutting him down completely. It's definitely league-based, but if you're in a league with multiple IR spots, you're not fighting for playoffs and you have moves, especially this late in the week, it was a no brainer to pick him up. If you're fighting for a playoff spot, you have no business pondering the status of Porzingis, plain and simple.

Makes sense, its gonna be tough for Dallas to make the playoffs this season, they are 4.5 games back for 8th and only 2.5 games to drop them to 14th

Edited by DezedandConfused

2 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Makes sense, its gonna be tough for Dallas to make the playoffs this season, they are 4.5 games back for 8th and only 2.5 games to drop them to 14th

They have no expectation to make the playoffs abynore. That dream was gone commiting to that deal yesterday. But maybe Luka can carry them to a spot. But make no mistake the franchise is looking towards next year atp. 

I still picked him up even with the uncertainty. I'm currently at the top of our standings with a relatively easy schedule left. I'll wait for his re-evaluation in mid-Feb if it's still what the planned schedule is for the Mavs. With all the rumblings that Kristaps is 'essentially cleared ro play' you never know. However, the Mavs probably want better odds to land in the top 5 now compared to when they didn't have KP. Also, consider that the Mavs don't want to further annoy an already disgruntled star who feels that he is healthy and wants to play.

There's just a lot of factors here but if you have an IR and likely making the playoffs, just wait and see how this whole thing develops.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TJDhoops/status/1091334979190222849

Porz: ”I’m ready soon, play me”

Knicks: “Sorry bro, not trying for Zion...”

Porz: “Trade me”

Knick: “Ok”

Doncic-Porz pairing could go down this season? 👀👀

Cuban already said he'll probably not play this season