Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigPapi44

Brandon Lowe - 2B Rays

I posted in the Deep Sleepers section, but he just keeps putting up daily numbers, I feel he deserves his own thread.  

Last night, 3-4 with a double, 2BBs, and today, 2-4 2doubles, 2BBs

Brandon Lowe, turning 24 on July 6th, has been having himself quite a season.   He started off really slowly in AA hitting .229 in April, but has been on a tear since.  Recently, he was promoted to AAA and been dominating.  The power numbers are quite impressive, especially since the call-up hitting .343 with 8hrs and 9 doubles in less than 90Abs. Wowsas!

8 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Think he gets the call this year?

Well, if he keeps this up I don't know what more they want to see from him, but I guess a lot will depend on whether or not they make any deals at the deadline.  They already shipped out Brad Miller, but they have other guys like him that seem to be blocking Lowe.  Matt Duffy has had a pretty solid season, same for Daniel Robertson whom they have now shifted to the OF, I believe, and acts in super utility role.  Joey Wendle's also been decent and been playing quite a bit at 2B, though he mixes through the OF rotation as well.  That means there are a lot of mouths to feed right now, so barring a trade I'm not sure you see Lowe before September, and even then, I'm not sure how much playing time he would receive.  Still, he would look like a good long-term piece for them and don't forget about Nick Solak, who is knocking on the door in AA too.  He looks every bit like a good 2B prospect too.

At this pace he'll be a Sept call-up...in 2019 #glacialrays

But yeah he's really impressive and there is not much that should be in his way. Wendle is a bench guy, Robertson prob too. They need to deal the SS and have Adames there daily, that should theoretically open up 2nd for Lowe.

Fangraphs now catching up on our hype train:

Lowe was promoted to Triple-A a few weeks ago and is hitting .341/.431/.716 there in 21 games. His swing had better hand separation last year, which led to a semi-breakout, and now Lowe’s batted-ball profile is also changing, his ground-ball rate dropping from 42% to 35%. We had him projected as an average everyday player at second base, but it appears there might be another gear here.

4 minutes ago, TheDarkside85 said:

How's Lowe been doing lately?? Haven't heard too much?

Hitting .289 with 4Hrs in his last 10 games.  

So good then, cool. Walks have spiked a tad too, as teams start working around him some.

Another fun fact... He's yet to get a hit in 4 starts.  0-14.  Even Adames hit a HR off of Sale before he got himself demoted earlier.

In all seriousness, I didn't see this coming.  Obviously any rookie can fall flat on his face after getting the call, but it seemed like he had a decent chance to succeed given how good he was doing in AAA.