Sign in to follow this  
cizastro

Dynasty Trade Offer - Go for it?

5x5 12-team dynasty league

I get: Foltyneiwicz (sp)

I give: Matt Olson & either Jo Adell or Bo Bichette (MILB prospects)

Current roster:

C - Sanchez, Mesoraco

1B - Goldy, Olson

2B - Altuve, Moncada

3B - J. Ramirez, Devers

SS -  T. Turner, Semien

OF - Ozuna, Mazara, Pollock, Soto, Brinson, Pham

SP - Price, S. Gray, McCullers, Sale, Rodon, Arrieta, Darvish

RP - Jansen, Giles, Morrow, Chapman

If you think I should upgrade my pitching, which prospect would you rather deal?

I'd definitely do Olson and Adell for Folty. I get pitchers can be inconsistent, but Folty's been pitching great this year and is still young. Adell's a good prospect, but nothing that's that significant of a loss (prospects become busts all the time) and Olson isn't that big of a loss. 

I do the trade and give Adell. In a dynasty Folty is worth acquiring and adell looks great in A ball but we have yet to see him at higher levels while Bichette has already proven he can be promoted and make adjustments to the competition. 

Agree with the others on making the trade, but keep Bichette. Folty looks solid & can help your SP.

Thanks for mine & good luck!

I would not.

I've been following Folty closely based on a podcast I heard last year, suggesting he could follow a Scherzer-like trajectory.

But still, I think Adell and Bichette are both top-10 prospects with perennial all-star potential. I wouldn't give either of them straight up for Folty, and I certainly wouldn't give Olson as well - whose raw power is top-5 in the game. Then again, I'm notoriously infatuated with potential - and Folty is acing right now - it's less of a hypothetical. I understand if you do it, but I really like both those prospects and personally just couldn't pull the trigger.   

Any chance he'd take Lewis Brinson instead of Adell/Bichette?

Edited by RotoBird

RotoBird,

Brinson is like holding a bag of dog doo right now.  Nobody wants to touch the guy.  SP is my weak spot right now and also the area where my age tends to show a bit.  One of my biggest trades in recent memory was to land Jose Fernandez (RIP) and that set me back on my SP situation a bit.  I've done well with drafting talent for my MILB roster and have used some of that talent to upgrade at current positions.  I'm a perennial championship contender so my focus is on winning above all else.  I also have Luis Robert in my farm system so giving up Adell wouldn't destroy my farm.

5 minutes ago, cizastro said:

RotoBird,

Brinson is like holding a bag of dog doo right now.  Nobody wants to touch the guy.  SP is my weak spot right now and also the area where my age tends to show a bit.  One of my biggest trades in recent memory was to land Jose Fernandez (RIP) and that set me back on my SP situation a bit.  I've done well with drafting talent for my MILB roster and have used some of that talent to upgrade at current positions.  I'm a perennial championship contender so my focus is on winning above all else.  I also have Luis Robert in my farm system so giving up Adell wouldn't destroy my farm.

pitchers man... one sharp pain, and Folty could be gone for a year. 

I get that you're a contender... but a future with Bichette/Adell/Robert is dynamite. I genuinely believe all three of those players can be, and will be, future 20-20 guys.

honestly I'm not sure how much it matter though. your team is absolutely stacked, for the present, and the future. Even Altuve is only 28. 

I'd love to hear how you managed to acquire so many star players... that kind of geeky dynasty stuff always fascinates me. When was the draft?

p.s. sucks about JoFer. What did you trade for him?

Edited by RotoBird

RotoBird,

This has been a league that's been around since around 2000.  I drafted guys like Price, Verlander to my MILB squad back in the days.  Throughout the years I've always sacrificed younger talent to build up my current talent.  Sometimes I overpay, but we have a 16-man MILB team that allows us to stock up on MILB talent. 

I acquired Altuve, Castellanos and Trumbo in 2015 for Adrian Gonzales, Devon Travis, Delino DeShields & Brett Lawrie.  Altuve was the only guy I was interested in and I dropped the others over time.  I tend to trade young players to teams who are constantly rebuilding as they value youth over actual value and sometimes I can get a good veteran for it.  Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't. 

I dealt Verlander, Shelby Miller, Willin Rosario and a 1st round MILB pick for JoFer back in 2014 (this was when he was shelved with TJ).  Verlander being the main component as well as the lost opportunity cost of a 1st rounder (not sure who he took). 

My success began with good drafting and once I created a core of enough "home grown" talent I took a "Yankees" approach and started acquiring talent via trades or FA and usually the trades would be where I'm dealing quantity to get quality (3 solid players for one stud).  The year I got Altuve was the first year he hit double-digit HR's so at that point I was just trying to acquire a speedy 2B with good average.  I don't think anyone could've guessed the pop at the time.  I consider myself lucky on that one.

I dealt JT Realmuto (another home-grown dude) and Smoak (free agent pickup last season) for Gary Sanchez and a last round pick this year.  A lot of my deals I try to buy low.  With Sanchez struggling I felt like it was finally the perfect time to take a chance.  Realmuto isn't bad by any means, but having a 30-HR capable C is very intriguing for me. 

With my current roster, I got the following guys off of FA - Goldschmidt (he wasn't drafted by any team; so I got him off waivers), Pollock (the year he was struggling/hurt), Pham, Mazara (when he was still struggling and not hitting for power), Morrow, Giles, Arrieta.  A lot of the other players were acquired using my farm system or trades.  I'm currently waiting for Pham to heat back up so I can hopefully package him up with a SP to get an even better one.  As long as I can keep drafting promising talent I can continue to keep dealing that talent to keep improving my lineup.  I may tinker a little too much, but the last couple of years I wasn't aggressive in the trade area so that's why age is catching up with my pitching staff and why I'm looking to put some youth back into it. 

Edited by cizastro

1 hour ago, RotoBird said:

pitchers man... one sharp pain, and Folty could be gone for a year. 

I get that you're a contender... but a future with Bichette/Adell/Robert is dynamite. I genuinely believe all three of those players can be, and will be, future 20-20 guys.

honestly I'm not sure how much it matter though. your team is absolutely stacked, for the present, and the future. Even Altuve is only 28. 

I'd love to hear how you managed to acquire so many star players... that kind of geeky dynasty stuff always fascinates me. When was the draft?

p.s. sucks about JoFer. What did you trade for him?

Do you have any idea on the failure rate of top prospects? Yes, one sharp pain and folty is done. That's the case for every pitcher. You aren't getting a guy like degrom or kluber or severino for adell, even with the "one sharp pain" idea. Not only that, the appreiable ROI on a guy like Adell is several years away. To move him and Olson now for a guy pitching as well as folty is a slam dunk. 

I'm in an 18 team dynasty and own gary Sanchez, Freeman, Jose Ramirez, Correa, bregman, Marcel ozuna, mookie betts, Starlin marte, Juan Soto, Austin meadows, Madison bumgarner, Aaron Nola, and the list goes on. You know how people acquire teams like this? By trading off top prospects for established players. 2 years ago I took over this team in this league that's been around 15 years. Zero of those guys were on the team when I took over. My top bat was George Springer and my next best was Segura. My top arm was Sonny gray then Cole hamels. I picked up prospects and flipped them like crazy. 

Absolutely trade adell and Olson for folty. 

I should note not all of my trades work out great.  Last year I dealt Rendon and a combination of Kopech, Victor Robles and Gleyber Torres for Machado and Darvish.  That one is not looking good for me considering Torres is now mashing for the Yanks.  But like the previous poster said I've had a number of trades where I'll deal names like this and then they end up being average or not even making it to the show. 

Adell is a monster right now and at 19 it's very exciting what he's doing.  But the great thing about prospects is that there's almost always another Adell right around the corner waiting to get drafted.  Unless he becomes a generational talent like Mike Trout I consider most prospects expendable. 

Hang onto you're 3 players those are the far better options.