Letitbe793

Wander Franco, SS, TB

Second highest average in the league, more walks than strikeouts, OPS over .900, one of the lowest K rates in the minors. Yeah, he’s good, Time to promote the kid. He turned 18 just in March, by the way.

• Like 1

I doubt they skip him over highA, but that would really be something if they did--and I bet he could handle it.

I saw Cross re-tweet a swing of his last night, the bat-speed is just on another type of level.

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

Do you guys think that, assuming he continues to perform like he is, a 2020 september callup is a possibility?

Yes. Or earlier next season. The Rays are fixing to be really good next year.

Game was suspended but will be played as part of a double header later today so the homer will still count.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, brockpapersizer said:

If 2020 is a possibility they would be pushing him faster imo 

True, but it is getting to the point now where it's stupid not to push him faster.  There's really no reason he's not up at some point next season other than them holding him back for whatever reason like they kind of are now.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:12 PM, hypeiz4real said:

I'm betting an Acuna type contract gets done. This guy is special and I think the rays will pony up the cash 

There is no way he'd touch that kind of deal...but even half of that and selling off a few years of arb and a year or 2 of free agency and then he's got a way better shot of getting up in 2020...it will all be about his next assignment, if they skip him over highA and send him straight to AA next month, then it is fast track city!

Finished the continuation of the game suspended last night 2-5 with a homer and double. I honestly think he is a better prospect than Vlad, Jr. at the same stage, especially when position is taken into account. Compare his and Vlad’s A ball #’s and Wander is superior in all aspects.

Edited by killa3312

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

There is no way he'd touch that kind of deal...but even half of that and selling off a few years of arb and a year or 2 of free agency and then he's got a way better shot of getting up in 2020...it will all be about his next assignment, if they skip him over highA and send him straight to AA next month, then it is fast track city!

100M guaranteed to buy out 2 free agent years?  I have to think he and most stud prospects go for that. 

Only part about Acunas contract I think he got shafted is the team options. Other than that it's close to a win win. 

What do you guys see his impact looking like in MLB fantasy? I’m picturing his ceiling to be a better Alex Bregman (not a ton better, just slightly). Does that sound about right?

He hasn’t swung and missed In a game since May 26th. 3 strikeouts in last 90 ABs. His bat control for an 18 year old is otherworldly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UberRebel said:

What do you guys see his impact looking like in MLB fantasy? I’m picturing his ceiling to be a better Alex Bregman (not a ton better, just slightly). Does that sound about right?

Lindor 

2 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Let me rephrase that. I’m buying him as if he will be a Lindor type asset. His ceiling, though, is #1 player in fantasy baseball. With his combination of plate discipline and electric bat speed, he has potential to lead the league in batting average while adding in 45 HR+SB. 

7 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Let me rephrase that. I’m buying him as if he will be a Lindor type asset. His ceiling, though, is #1 player in fantasy baseball. With his combination of plate discipline and electric bat speed, he has potential to lead the league in batting average while adding in 45 HR+SB. 

Good stuff. I guess I’m seeing more Bregman because of his approach (nothing to do w/ 3B although I guess that’s possible). The guy is Votto-like in his plate discipline and contact. London is great but he doesn’t have the BB:K ratio that Bregman has. More speed though, and HRs in 2017/2018.

I don’t know if I’m fully bought in on him being a 30 HR power threat. It should be doable with his bat speed in the juiced ball era, but you just never know. 

Im actually not interested in him for HRs; the league I own him in includes BB and SLG so if he hits mid-20s HRs and has an OBP in the vein of Votto, Soto, and Bregman, that would be awesome at SS/2B

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Good stuff. I guess I’m seeing more Bregman because of his approach (nothing to do w/ 3B although I guess that’s possible). The guy is Votto-like in his plate discipline and contact. London is great but he doesn’t have the BB:K ratio that Bregman has. More speed though, and HRs in 2017/2018.

I don’t know if I’m fully bought in on him being a 30 HR power threat. It should be doable with his bat speed in the juiced ball era, but you just never know. 

Im actually not interested in him for HRs; the league I own him in includes BB and SLG so if he hits mid-20s HRs and has an OBP in the vein of Votto, Soto, and Bregman, that would be awesome at SS/2B

I wouldn’t sleep on his power. He’s playing in a HR depleted league. There are only 4 players in the Midwest League with more than 8 HRs. Franco has 6 as the youngest player in the league.

Midwest league stats:

Name / Age / AB / HR

Vlad 18 268 7

Eloy 19 432 14

Wander 18 181 6

I’m not gonna day Wander has their power potential but it shows you how the Midwest league can make big time power hitters put up average power numbers.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Think he ends up at 3rd?

Seems most likely. The Rays have a ton of org depth at 2B with B. Lowe, Solak and Brujan and no obvious long-term 3B. I wouldn’t totally rule out Franco sticking at SS, but Adames is better with the glove.

8 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Sorry if these updates get a bit monotonous but

.326 BA: 2nd

.926 OPS: 3rd

They never get old man. This kid is an unbelievable prospect, might be the best overall prospect in the last 5 years, honestly. He just turned 18 in March, it's unreal. His bat to ball skills are once in a generation special and he could probably go to the majors right now and hold his own. I hope when they do promote him, they are aggressive and skip him over high-A and straight to AA. He is that special a player.

I'm not saying he's a better prospect with the bat or even on the same plane as Vlad, Jr., but if he isn't, he is really, really close. However, as an overall prospect, given speed, position, etc. he is probably better at the same age. Even if he moves off SS and goes to 3B or 2B, it's still a more valuable position than RF. Personally, I think he sticks at SS long term. He's good enough to stay there and, quite frankly, Adames sucks. He isn't the long term answer at that position for the Rays.

Edited by killa3312

Can someone who knows a bit about scouting grades explain to me how Fangraphs has Franco at a 35 present grade for hit tool? As a 17 year old last year in rookie ball he hit .351 with a 9.9% walk rate and 7.0% k rate. This year in A ball he’s hitting.326 with a 10.4% bb rate and 7.5% k rate. That seems like a pretty elite hit tool already.

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Can someone who knows a bit about scouting grades explain to me how Fangraphs has Franco at a 35 present grade for hit tool? As a 17 year old last year in rookie ball he hit .351 with a 9.9% walk rate and 7.0% k rate. This year in A ball he’s hitting.326 with a 10.4% bb rate and 7.5% k rate. That seems like a pretty elite hit tool already.

Do you have the right Wander? Lol. FanGraphs has his hit tool at 70 iirc.

4 minutes ago, killa3312 said:

Do you have the right Wander? Lol. FanGraphs has his hit tool at 70 iirc.

from the fangraphs top 100 article posted 2/13/19..

image.png.e2d28371bc9024f7eefc04a5011b387c.png

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1