Letitbe793

Wander Franco, SS, TB

9 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Enough about his HR power, let’s talk BBs. Does anyone see Votto-like BB totals for him (around 100+ per year)? I care because my league counts BBs

How much do MILB BB% translate to MLB?

BB% in the minors rough. Extremely talented hitters sometimes won't put up great BB rates because they are seeing the ball so well it doesn't matter. Pitchers don't give them enough of challenge. 

It just tends to be more an indication of how passive a player is. More then his actual eye for the strike zone/pitches. You see passive hitters rack up high BB rates in the minors and crater in the majors all the time. They are too passive and their actual eye is mediocre/ability to hit is poor.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Enough about his HR power, let’s talk BBs. Does anyone see Votto-like BB totals for him (around 100+ per year)? I care because my league counts BBs

How much do MILB BB% translate to MLB?

I would think it would all translate bucause after all it is a skill of not swing when the pitcher is not throwing a strike.

18 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Promoted to High-A

Hopefully a short stay there, would be nice if he performs as he has and pushes up to AA this year. 

12 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

BB% in the minors rough. Extremely talented hitters sometimes won't put up great BB rates because they are seeing the ball so well it doesn't matter. Pitchers don't give them enough of challenge. 

It just tends to be more an indication of how passive a player is. More then his actual eye for the strike zone/pitches. You see passive hitters rack up high BB rates in the minors and crater in the majors all the time. They are too passive and their actual eye is mediocre/ability to hit is poor.

I don’t think Franco’s walk rates are because he isn’t passive. 

Will be the youngest player in High-A by more than a year. Personally think he will put up better numbers here than in A ball.

2-3 with a BB and a SB, a CS is the only downer from his HI-A debut.

• Like 1

He's incredible. He'll be absolutely ready for the AA jump in short order (he most certainly already likely is)...

The only thing he hasn’t done is hit a ton of balls over the fence, but we all know he has that in him. He hit 11 in rookie ball last season in only 250 ABs and he had two in one game earlier this season and nearly a third that hit off the top of the fence. The HR power will come but he is an incredible hit even without a ton of long balls.

3 hours ago, killa3312 said:

The only thing he hasn’t done is hit a ton of balls over the fence, but we all know he has that in him. He hit 11 in rookie ball last season in only 250 ABs and he had two in one game earlier this season and nearly a third that hit off the top of the fence. The HR power will come but he is an incredible hit even without a ton of long balls.

No HR's and only 1 double.  They might want to wait to promote him to AA until next season because he needs "more seasoning".

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's incredible. He'll be absolutely ready for the AA jump in short order (he most certainly already likely is)...

It's entirely possible he's already ready for AAA.  Yes, that obviously means my post above is a complete joke.

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

The other day I heard Tony LaRussa on MLB Network Radio talk about Albert Pujols' incredible jump from low Single-A to the majors in 2001. That interview reminded me that Wander Franco would be the one guy right now that could possibly handle that kind of jump, similar to Juan Soto's remarkable climb from low Single-A to the majors in short time last year.

The only thing is that economics/business considerations will keep that from happening. It takes a GM like Padres' AJ Preller or Nationals' Mike Rizzo that goes against conventional wisdom of the industry to pull off an aggressive type of promotion like that.

15 hours ago, BaseballJunkie said:

The other day I heard Tony LaRussa on MLB Network Radio talk about Albert Pujols' incredible jump from low Single-A to the majors in 2001. That interview reminded me that Wander Franco would be the one guy right now that could possibly handle that kind of jump, similar to Juan Soto's remarkable climb from low Single-A to the majors in short time last year.

The only thing is that economics/business considerations will keep that from happening. It takes a GM like Padres' AJ Preller or Nationals' Mike Rizzo that goes against conventional wisdom of the industry to pull off an aggressive type of promotion like that.

Not that I disagree with you, but considering that a struggling, young prospect in his first MLB taste almost certainly gets sent back down and then service time issues are less concerning.

If he comes up and mashes, the club can try to lock him into a long term deal at a discount (Acuna is maybe the best recent example). I think Vlad and 100’s of other recent examples paint a pessimistic picture for everyone, but the truth is we have no clue when he will get his opportunity. 

Just the fact that I have an 18 year old with Franco’s pedigree is exciting enough for me at the moment. I can wait until he’s 20 years old and enjoy 10-15 years of premier performance. If you can’t sit out the wait, you’ll have smart owners lined up to take him off your hands. 

38 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Haha - I love the fun tradition of completely ignoring a new teammate's first home run and then turning around a mobbing him a few seconds later to celebrate.

I looked for this a couple times with rookies this year and noticed some teams stopped doing it. 

Another day, another HR for Wander in High-A

Mans on that Juan Soto path to the bigs at this rate. Dude gonna be in Double-A by mid-July lol

Edited by Blood Brother
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Another day, another HR for Wander in High-A

Mans on that Juan Soto path to the bigs at this rate. Dude gonna be in Double-A by mid-July lol

Honestly, he could be promoted to AA tomorrow and probably would be doing the same thing he's doing right now.

Had two more walks as well bringing season line up to .335/.407/.540 between both leagues. 33/20 BB/K ratio. He’s so special.