Letitbe793

Wander Franco, SS, TB

1 hour ago, UberRebel said:

Brock, do you see a Spring Training invite on the horizon? If so, over or under 9 HRs?

I have no idea how teams evaluate  who gets the Invite. I've seen guys with no chance of being called up in a calendar year getting an invite so Franco getting one wouldn't be remotely a shock. They seem meaningless. 

Hitting 9 hr in spring training? That seems like a high number for anyone. Even if he did make it to spring training, he might play 2-3 times a week and often as a late game sub. 

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I have no idea how teams evaluate  who gets the Invite. I've seen guys with no chance of being called up in a calendar year getting an invite so Franco getting one wouldn't be remotely a shock. They seem meaningless. 

Hitting 9 hr in spring training? That seems like a high number for anyone. Even if he did make it to spring training, he might play 2-3 times a week and often as a late game sub. 

I did a poor job of hinting at the Kris Bryant rookie year reference

Edited by UberRebel
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, UberRebel said:

I did a poor job of hinting at the Kris Bryant rookie year reference

Yeah, sorry. Didn't see the connection. If it flew over my head, so be it.

Does anyone why he stopped playing in the Dominican league after a few games?   Hasn’t played in 2 weeks and I think we would’ve heard about an injury by now. Developing skills & workouts maybe?

7 hours ago, Strike Three said:

Does anyone why he stopped playing in the Dominican league after a few games?   Hasn’t played in 2 weeks and I think we would’ve heard about an injury by now. Developing skills & workouts maybe?

He is fine, just wanted to rest up and prepare for the offseason. Baseball America gave him an 80 hit grade in their latest prospect rankings, too. They hardly ever do that.

Edited by killa3312

4 hours ago, killa3312 said:

He is fine, just wanted to rest up and prepare for the offseason. Baseball America gave him an 80 hit grade in their latest prospect rankings, too. They hardly ever do that.

80?  Good lord!!  I guess he’s the in-shape Vlad.  

80 hit, 60 power slapped on him by BA. Excited to see him in AA and beyond this season. I think he is going to explode even more.

6 hours ago, killa3312 said:

80 hit, 60 power slapped on him by BA. Excited to see him in AA and beyond this season. I think he is going to explode even more.

I see this as well, he is going to be special(he already is)

Wish the Rays were as aggressive with him as the M’s are with Rodriguez. Can’t even get an invite to big league camp? Come on, bro.

19 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Wish the Rays were as aggressive with him as the M’s are with Rodriguez. Can’t even get an invite to big league camp? Come on, bro.

The Rays don't care about our fantasy teams. Out of the Rays and Mariners, one of them does a MUCH better job than the other at developing their prospects. Can you guess which one that is? I'll defer to their (clearly the Rays) judgement then on what's best for developing Wander Franco.

Edited by ThreadKiller

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

The Rays don't care about our fantasy teams. Out of the Rays and Mariners, one of them does a MUCH better job than the other at developing their prospects. Can you guess which one that is? I'll defer to their (clearly the Rays) judgement then on what's best for developing Wander Franco.

Maybe they have their reasons. It shouldn't effect call up time regardless, but I imagine it can only be a good thing to surround your future guys with major league talent so they can learn a few things and expose them to what is expected.  Either way, I don't think this is a terribly big deal.

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Maybe they have their reasons. It shouldn't effect call up time regardless, but I imagine it can only be a good thing to surround your future guys with major league talent so they can learn a few things and expose them to what is expected.  Either way, I don't think this is a terribly big deal.

Agreed.

2020 Outlook:

Rays senior vice president of baseball operations Erik Neander said "we want Wander to be in our plans this year" during the team's Fan Fest last weekend, Mari Faiello of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

This is going to be a common topic for the Rays this spring and throughout the season, and the team's brass is not shying away from the notion that the game's top prospect could debut in his age-19 season. He walked almost twice as much as he struck out while slashing .339/.408/.464 at High-A as an 18-year-old, so he could make quick work of Double-A and Triple-A pitching. If Tampa is really serious about fast-tracking him, he could even skip one of those levels on his path to the majors. Given Willy Adames' defensive prowess at shortstop, Franco would likely debut at the keystone.

• Thanks 1

Some hopeful news: Oh sorry already posted. Thanks St. Steven.

Senior vice president of baseball operations Erik Neander said "we want Wander to be in our plans this year" during the team's Fan Fest last weekend, Mari Faiello of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Edited by sagrim

I think it will depend on if there's a hole that he fills + how competitive the team is. I think they call him up if they think he helps their championship odds.

Hot take; I think Franco is more likely to be the next Lindor than the next Trout. People always compare him to trout but I feel like (from what we’ve seen) he isn’t in the form of OBP gods like Trout and Soto, more like a 300 hitter with (developing power) like Lindor 

Just now, Fbaseballgod said:

Hot take; I think Franco is more likely to be the next Lindor than the next Trout. People always compare him to trout but I feel like (from what we’ve seen) he isn’t in the form of OBP gods like Trout and Soto, more like a 300 hitter with (developing power) like Lindor 

While Im sure most #1 prospects get compared to having a Trout like impact, I dont think that comes up much with Wander.  I think Jose Ramirez comes up as a comp I've seen most regularly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I can understand you questioning him not being a 40 HR guy like Trout, but what is it about his performance that gives you pause that he can’t be just as good in OBP?

He has an incredible batting eye, outstanding plate discipline, elite bat speed, and rarely swings and misses. He’s a switch hitter and doesn’t sell out for power. Goes up the middle.

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

I can understand you questioning him not being a 40 HR guy like Trout, but what is it about his performance that gives you pause that he can’t be just as good in OBP?

He has an incredible batting eye, outstanding plate discipline, elite bat speed, and rarely swings and misses. He’s a switch hitter and doesn’t sell out for power. Goes up the middle.

Agreed. As OBP goes he should be a monster. Wander is a career .405 OBP in the minors whereas Lindor was .355. They’re different types of hitters. Trout was .426, so Wander is closer to Trout than Lindor in that respect. 

4 hours ago, UberRebel said:

I feel like the true OBP gods are guys like Soto, trout, etc with 15,16,17,18% BB rate.  I feel like wander will hit lower walks and lower strikeouts 

Anybody that walks twice as man times as he K's is going to have a pretty decent OBP: his minor league numbers 83BB 54K's

• Like 1

Please let him end up at 2b.  I understand that in the real world a SS is more valuable because he can always slide over but man is SS stacked for fantasy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adwilk1231 said:

Please let him end up at 2b.  I understand that in the real world a SS is more valuable because he can always slide over but man is SS stacked for fantasy.

His most likely landing spot is probably 3B,  maybe a 3B/backup SS role like Bregman or Machado.

Adames is pretty much set at SS because of his glove. At 2B they have B. Lowe on a team-friendly 6-year deal, plus Brujan who is getting close to MLB. At 3B is Yandy, who is 28 and not particularly great defensively.

I’m hoping for 2B as well but not optimistic about it.

A lot of posts in this thread went into complaining about fangraphs being too low on Franco last year with his FV hit tool.  Well they gave him that 80 and made him a very rare (if ever) 80 FV prospect.  That's a big statement on how they feel about him.