Letitbe793

Wander Franco, SS, TB

On 5/2/2020 at 2:39 PM, Echis said:

I think it would improve his chances of making his debut this year. Franco on the roster gives the Ray's a better chance at winning a championship this season. The Ray's are in the little window of time where they can compete. 

I would agree with this. With a shortened season, it gives every team a slightly higher chance of winning it all just through smaller sample size. The Rays were already formidable too.

I'm guess I'm a pessimist on Wander even though I consider him pretty much a guaranteed superstar with almost no bust risk. I just don't see him in MLB in whatever form this season might take.

He's 19 and never played above High-A. His age 18 season statistics and level of hype are both extremely similar to Vlad Jr., who struggled in his MLB debut at 20. His ZIPS projection is 261/316/388.

Wander will be great someday, but is he so great he can just jump entirely over the high minors as a teenager and improve an already strong Rays lineup? That's a crazy lot to ask of anyone, even a super-elite prospect. And even if he is ready to do that, he doesn't have an avenue to prove it if there's no minor leagues.

• Like 2

If they somehow manage to have a shortened season, and expand rosters to include minor leaguers (because of no minor league games this year), will Franco be playing everyday? I mean, they have to right?

Wander is not currently on 40 man list. But after season he will be. So why not put him on list now and see what u got? with MLB talking 30 man rosters we will prolly see lots of doubleheaders and few off days so I am sure he will play most days. As for his position with Adames solidly locked at SS I can see Wander play 3B. 

You would have to think he is on the team with the window to win a championship is small with Morton being 37, snell acting like a crybaby about money as if he’s not already a millionaire, give the kid a hard look and see what he can accomplish

It's not impossible, but chance or no chance, I wouldn't bet on Franco having a great fantasy year even if he did play. The Acuna/Soto rises felt differently. Doesn't mean he won't get there, just not sure it's this year. In fairness I guess I didn't see them having the big years as rookies as they did, but they both had better present power.

Taxi squad is the words they are floating around. That would have to be practice with the big league players to get some work in. Wonder if the team they are playing against would bring there taxi squad players and play pick up games

12 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

So it will start with 60 man taxi squads. Rays don't lose anything by putting him on the taxi squad.

And they will:

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that shortstop prospect Wander Franco will be part of the Rays' 60-man player pool.

The consensus top prospect in baseball, Franco is just 19 and has yet to play above A-ball, so he's probably not going to play in the majors this season even though he's incredibly advanced for his age. However, the Rays figure that putting him on their taxi squad is the best way to continue with his development since there won't be a minor league season.

Source: Jesse Sanchez on Twitter                 Jun 25, 2020, 10:30 PM ET

I think the latter is true of a lot of the younger players. 

it's funny how quickly folks seem to move on to the next big thing (aka Jasson Dominguez)
Let's not forget that multiple veteran scouts deemed Wander Franco the single best prospect they've ever seen. 
He's ready to contribute. I hope the Rays deploy him aggressively. 

since Wander has to be on the 40 man roster after the season anyway it makes sense for all the 40 man roster guys to be on the 60 man team/taxi squad. The expanded playoffs plus the 60 game season makes it imperative to get wins. Add in the Al/NL east and Tampa has few easy series just Marlins and orioles. All those platoons are prolly looking for 1 good player to replace them and I am banking Wander can get a full time job. 

Promoting him quickly would be so uncharacteristic of the Rays. He's talented enough to give it a try but banking on him this year seems kinda silly.

19 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Promoting him quickly would be so uncharacteristic of the Rays. He's talented enough to give it a try but banking on him this year seems kinda silly.

The Rays are actually more aggressive today than they were previously with regards to prospects and they’ve been very aggressive with Franco starting him at rookie ball and moving him two levels last season. He isn’t your typical prospect and should be treated as such.

Future is brought as can be, but I'm not confident the rays see him as a definitive upgrade in their infield at the moment.  Maybe he plays this year maybe he doesn't, my gut says he won't be a big fantasy impact this year. 

I’m Wander’s biggest fan but everyone needs to relax and let this kid develop.  He needs his AA at bats and maybe some AAA at bats.  Yes, he’s a natural born leader that will win multiple batting titles one day.  However, his power is still very much in question.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2020 at 8:35 AM, Strike Three said:

I’m Wander’s biggest fan but everyone needs to relax and let this kid develop.  He needs his AA at bats and maybe some AAA at bats.  Yes, he’s a natural born leader that will win multiple batting titles one day.  However, his power is still very much in question.  

Franco was 2nd in the Midwest League in SLG % when compared to qualified batters and 2nd in the Florida State League in SLG % when compared to qualified batters. That is very impressive for an 18 year old. 9 home runs over 114 games doesn't sound like a lot but those are two pitching dominated leagues. That's not as power devoid as you'd think.

How much power Franco ends up getting to is in question, but his ability to hit for power really isn't that big of a question to me.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
  • Like 4

So is this just a lost season for him, and for every prospect in 2020?

Seems like the development that was supposed to happen this year will now have to happen in 2021. I’m starting to worry we won’t see him til 2022. That will really piss me off since I’ve been waiting 2 years

31 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

So is this just a lost season for him, and for every prospect in 2020?

Seems like the development that was supposed to happen this year will now have to happen in 2021. I’m starting to worry we won’t see him til 2022. That will really piss me off since I’ve been waiting 2 years

He is on the taxi squad for the very reason as to NOT slow down his development.  If TB breaks out fast he could even be called up sometime this season if they go all in.

19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He is on the taxi squad for the very reason as to NOT slow down his development.  If TB breaks out fast he could even be called up sometime this season if they go all in.

I get that. But is the taxi squad going to do him a whole lot of good (discounting the extremely optimistic scenario he gets called up).

I realize It’s better than nothing but what a bummer for his development

As a Tampa fan and someone who has followed Wander's development, the only way the Rays call him up this season is if they become and feel as if they're serious contenders..

And even if he is called up, it likely won't be until the end of the season. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, UberRebel said:

I get that. But is the taxi squad going to do him a whole lot of good (discounting the extremely optimistic scenario he gets called up).

I realize It’s better than nothing but what a bummer for his development

I'd say it depends on how TB runs it's taxi squad.  He will be mixed in with a lot more experienced players and probably extra coaches in a more concentrated environment I'd guess.

As far as the shorter season that is a level playing field for every single player -- prospect or major leaguer -- so I don't see him suffering disproportionately from that.  It isn't like it is several years out of your life to serve in WWII or something.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Any idea how he has performed so far in camp? Hasn’t really been any news about it.

I have no updates about Wander but I did have a question for the group - seeing Vlad Jr's struggles slightly worry me that Wander might have issues in MLB if he doesn't hit more fly balls. The issue is, it doesn't make sense to try to change his swing.

Wander's GB% so far in MILB has been comfortably above 40%. Launch angle tends to get higher as you age, and he's plenty young so maybe it's too early to start worrying about it. But that's the one weakness I see that could be what holds him back from greatness.

Anyone have differing thoughts?

• Like 1

Will Franco ever be an everyday player as a member of the Rays? If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Rays have had great success running platoons at every position. This keeps players fresh and it also limits the players' end of season stats, which limits the players' leverage in arbitration negotiations. The Rays have won despite their budget restraints. I give them all the credit in the world for their management innovations, but will it hamper Franco's fantasy production?