avswsop91

Ryan Borucki 2018 Outlook

Anything to see here? 3 major league starts, at least 6 inning in each & put up good stays vs NYY & @HOU. 16/6 K/BB in 20 IP with 4 of those BB in his first start. Anyone has anything on him?

1 hour ago, paintingtheblack said:

Watched him today. Very Mark Buehrle esque. Tops out around low-mid 90s, mixes pitches well and seems will live or die on his command. 

@paintingtheblack not sure if you knew or not, but Borucki grew up a Sox fan and his favorite player was Buehrle!

• Like 1

John Gibbons in an interview after his second start said he is the second coming of Buerle

9 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

John Gibbons in an interview after his second start said he is the second coming of Buerle

I like him but he gets the Sox next at Fenway.  Maybe after that though.

His minors numbers don't seem that bad. Looks like he had some rough patches in 2016, but other than that decent numbers. Not many HR's given up, pretty good ERA, good K/B. Be fun to see him pitch against BOS. 

Going to watch his start tomorrow @Boston, his numbers look good and if he can do it again against Boston then I might be sold

On 7/8/2018 at 8:59 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I like him but he gets the Sox next at Fenway.  Maybe after that though.

Im not starting him either but he did handle @HOU and NYY already

On 7/8/2018 at 4:58 PM, paintingtheblack said:

Watched him today. Very Mark Buehrle esque. Tops out around low-mid 90s, mixes pitches well and seems will live or die on his command. 

Toronto wishes they have a Buerhle type. Not ready to make that proclamation, but there are similarities there. 

The lack of ks are concerning.  6 quality starts in a row.. only 1 win.. thats Blue jays for you.  Not getting wins and ks from pitchers going deep into games is roto death.  I like him fine as a h2h streamer though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

The lack of ks are concerning.  6 quality starts in a row.. only 1 win.. thats Blue jays for you.  Not getting wins and ks from pitchers going deep into games is roto death.  I like him fine as a h2h streamer though.

Not everyone has to be a strikeout guy to be effective. He's still developing, but I think the Buerhle comp is apt. He induces ground balls at a nice rate, 46.0%. He hits his spots, walking only 6.0% of batters so far. He also has a very good change-up. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ryan-borucki-and-baseballs-newest-plus-pitch/   

I'm not claiming he'll become a top line guy. It's too early to say one way or another there. But he can be useful despite his low K totals. At the very least, he can help anchor your ratios. He's not a guy I'd sleep on.

6 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

Not everyone has to be a strikeout guy to be effective. He's still developing, but I think the Buerhle comp is apt. He induces ground balls at a nice rate, 46.0%. He hits his spots, walking only 6.0% of batters so far. He also has a very good change-up. https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ryan-borucki-and-baseballs-newest-plus-pitch/   

I'm not claiming he'll become a top line guy. It's too early to say one way or another there. But he can be useful despite his low K totals. At the very least, he can help anchor your ratios. He's not a guy I'd sleep on.

Hey I'm not saying Borucki is a bad pitcher or anything like that.  He's a good pitcher.  I'm just saying you got to be careful in Roto towards using the inning cap. If I am going to gamble on a low K, low probbaility of wins guy, it's a guy like Derick Rodriguez (already own in two leagues).  These guys are not that uncoomon.  But I would also look for a good pitcher's park and a weak schedule.

Granted the schedule has to get better for Borucki ..it would be interesting to see him pitch against some bad teams for a change.  He's faced Boston (will again next start) and houston and Seattle.  So maybe the lack of wins and K's is partially blamed on a bad schedule.

Mariners are a sinking ship, but was surprised at how nice his change up was last night.  Kind of reminded me of a young Mark Buehrle.  Works quick, can throw junk in any count for strikes.  On a few 2-0 counts I saw him completely fool (albeit awful) Mariner hitters.  Will definitely be keeping an eye on him.  

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

Hey I'm not saying Borucki is a bad pitcher or anything like that.  He's a good pitcher.  I'm just saying you got to be careful in Roto towards using the inning cap. If I am going to gamble on a low K, low probbaility of wins guy, it's a guy like Derick Rodriguez (already own in two leagues).  These guys are not that uncoomon.  But I would also look for a good pitcher's park and a weak schedule.

Granted the schedule has to get better for Borucki ..it would be interesting to see him pitch against some bad teams for a change.  He's faced Boston (will again next start) and houston and Seattle.  So maybe the lack of wins and K's is partially blamed on a bad schedule.

Actually I think you'd look that you had the BEST type of pitcher in a poor pitchers' park because he induces ground balls.  Far far more effective than those pitchers getting fly ball outs.  Also the best type of pitcher to counter the modern hitters' "life angle" movement.  He is built to survive this hitting trend as all they will end up with are worm killer grounders instead.

Also with less velocity there may be less stress on the arm and shoulder and he can go longer into games eventually and avoid major injuries.  He could be the template for the next trend in pitchers.  What was once old is not new again.

Sure.  But is that going to help him be a fantasy performer?  People compare him to Mark Buehrle.  Nobody ever targeted him at Roto.

Groundball outs are nice but with the Jays lousy offense and lack of strikeouts do you target him in non qs leagues?

also i dont think the jays infield defense is that good for all those grounders. 

8 minutes ago, PirateFan43 said:

Thoughts on him tonight @BAL?

He got touched up by Baltimore a few outings ago but has had a couple solid starts against good offenses since.

I scooped and started him in my weekly roto league as a 2 start guy but that is more of hail mary play than anything else. I am passing in my H2H playoff leagues. Too early in the week to be leaning on Ryan Borucki.

21 minutes ago, pjoner said:

looked good vs Baltimore, any using him vs Tampa tomorrow?

Id be careful.  Tampa has the second most runs this month second to Oakland. They're not a pushover matchup recently.