DLove

Jonathon Isaac 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

If you're ahead in your league I would hold, at least for the next week or 2 as he's coming off an injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eltoro said:

I think he passes the eye test for sure, the issue is his role.  

 

He seems to do best when he is playing closer to the basket as a PF, as it's easier for him to grab boards and defend the rim. 

 

The situation reminds me of when the Magic themselves kept trotting out Aaron Gordon at the 3. The frontcourt was just too crowded for Gordon to really excel.  

 

Now the problem is also that there are so many gunners on the Magic, like Vuc, Fournier, Ross, Gordon needs his touches, and even when Bamba was out there he was shooting before Isaac.   

 

You can see the upside but I think he'll underperform on points/assists, probably rebounds, and %s until a trade is made. I am stashing him in the hopes that a trade of Vuc frees up more time for him closer to the basket.

 

What you said kind of reminds me about Larry Nance's role in the Cavs. Both Isaac and Nance play better when closer to the basket, but seems teams these days want to space the offense and they both can't play center that much after all .... unless these guys develop a very reliable outside shot, seems hard to convince coach to play them big mins. 

 

I have Isaac in my IR spot, I plan to keep him there for the next couple week before I decide what to do. No harm keep him there as no one can scoop him off from the wire that way, at the same time his production won't hurt me while he's ramping up activity. I also have Nance on the same roster too. I plan to keep one of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isaac is still a big time hold for me.  His time on the court showed me that they are easing him into his role with this team.  The focus is to get comfortable on defense, and those stats will come on strong when he's healthy again.  On offense, he has no plays set for him, but he'll start getting the open 3, and some put backs.  If you're team is winning, he's the perfect guy to hold on to while he gets comfortable along with other young players that could really get it going.

 

Not ALL of them will kill it starting immediately, but if you're top 5 in your league, the following young guys should be targeted or at least heavily watched, in order of highest potential breakout:

 

Andrew Wiggins

Sean Gilgeous-Alexander

Jaren Jackson

Justise Winslow

Jonathan Isaac ( after deadline trade )

Monte Morris

Collin Sexton

Mo Bamba ( after deadline trade )

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lpycharles said:

 

What you said kind of reminds me about Larry Nance's role in the Cavs. Both Isaac and Nance play better when closer to the basket, but seems teams these days want to space the offense and they both can't play center that much after all .... unless these guys develop a very reliable outside shot, seems hard to convince coach to play them big mins. 

 

I have Isaac in my IR spot, I plan to keep him there for the next couple week before I decide what to do. No harm keep him there as no one can scoop him off from the wire that way, at the same time his production won't hurt me while he's ramping up activity. I also have Nance on the same roster too. I plan to keep one of them

I'm doing same exact thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AG questionable for Laker's game. Lets hope our boy can get 25 minutes at the PF spot tonight and see what he can do. I believe in the new ankle braces!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-11-16 at 11:00 AM, bsu27 said:

I'm doing same exact thing 

 

I think Isaac will be inconsistent throughout the year, if he can stay healthy that is. So I’m just starting him in my 12 team league - I got inspired by the ankle brace and the block on Embiid.

 

BTW Having an active player on IR won’t let you pick up new players.

 

He’s on ww in my 10 team league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to back blocks on lebron and a triple in between. Four blocks off the bench in the first half. Nice to see him looking healthy. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how he can be on waiver wires on 12 team and over.  He's literally being asked to stand at the 3 point line on offense, and observe.  On defense he's being asked to go all out.  This team won't force him to do this all season, they'll move Vucevic and give him some freedom to learn, make some plays, and some mistakes.  You won't find a guy with 2/12/10/2/2/2 potential on the waiver wire.  There's only a few guys built like him in the entire league.  

 

Put him at the end of your bench and just wait.  We're far enough into the season that 99% of the players taking big leaps this year are rostered.  They'll be some surprises here and there, but this guy shouldn't be surprising anybody by ASB.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many minutes can we expect when he's healthy provided they don't trade Vuc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yeet said:

How many minutes can we expect when he's healthy provided they don't trade Vuc?

 

about 27-30 per game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the glass ankles out once early this year and I won’t do it again. I have a hard time believing Isaac ever touch 25-30 per consistently because he will keep aggravating the same injury. You own him for the stocks and pray he stays healthily, no denying the upside 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

I don't see how he can be on waiver wires on 12 team and over.  He's literally being asked to stand at the 3 point line on offense, and observe.  On defense he's being asked to go all out.  This team won't force him to do this all season, they'll move Vucevic and give him some freedom to learn, make some plays, and some mistakes.  You won't find a guy with 2/12/10/2/2/2 potential on the waiver wire.  There's only a few guys built like him in the entire league.  

 

Put him at the end of your bench and just wait.  We're far enough into the season that 99% of the players taking big leaps this year are rostered.  They'll be some surprises here and there, but this guy shouldn't be surprising anybody by ASB.

Dude, this "potential stat line" is completely unrealistic. Maybe a 1% chance in dynasty in like 4-5 years if Gordon moves on, but he isn't sniffing anywhere close to that this year at any point in the season. That is elite territory. I don't even know of anyone that has ever hit those numbers or come close. The Matrix wasn't even close to hitting the 2/2/2. I am going to guess that no one has ever hit those levels. 

 

Trading Vuc opens up minutes for Bamba. Instead of running offense through Vuc they will run it through Gordon. I would prefer Vuc because he is more unselfish than Gordon. The opportunity for Isaac to crush is more dependent on Fournier and Gordon. But, his value is on defense so he just needs to play minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chud12 said:

I tried the glass ankles out once early this year and I won’t do it again. I have a hard time believing Isaac ever touch 25-30 per consistently because he will keep aggravating the same injury. You own him for the stocks and pray he stays healthily, no denying the upside 

Im giving him one more chance because he's wearing Steph Curry's ankle braces.

 

Now for the observations - this dude is amazing on defense, one on one and help. Moves his feet well, and doesn't seem to commit stupid fouls. Offensively I like what i saw. Catch and shoot 3 point shot... one dribble in jumper. And he was able to drive and finish at the basket off a pump fake (he needs to do this more).  All the skills required for a great 3 and D player. Looked pretty good on boards too, as long as he gets minutes think he'll do well. Not saying he's AD, but his movements look a lot like AD's. 

 

I know some folks here will compare him to Chriss.. but he's far from it. Chriss is an emotional headcase. Isaac seems to have decent IQ and doesn't make too many mistakes. The only thing holding him back is injury risk. knock on wood he can stay healthy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bruceleroy7 said:

Im giving him one more chance because he's wearing Steph Curry's ankle braces.

 

Now for the observations - this dude is amazing on defense, one on one and help. Moves his feet well, and doesn't seem to commit stupid fouls. Offensively I like what i saw. Catch and shoot 3 point shot... one dribble in jumper. And he was able to drive and finish at the basket off a pump fake (he needs to do this more).  All the skills required for a great 3 and D player. Looked pretty good on boards too, as long as he gets minutes think he'll do well. Not saying he's AD, but his movements look a lot like AD's. 

 

I know some folks here will compare him to Chriss.. but he's far from it. Chriss is an emotional headcase. Isaac seems to have decent IQ and doesn't make too many mistakes. The only thing holding him back is injury risk. knock on wood he can stay healthy

 

I've thought, and said the same thing regarding the comparison to AD.  

 

The way he moves on the court with this size, makes him look different than everyone else.  Giannis, too except Giannis has a lower center of gravity, moving more like a PG.  Isaac is a rare human specimen, gifted in a way only a few people in the world are.  His basketball skills have a long way to go, but that physical advantage, agility, and coordination to go along with it pop out of the screen at you when you see him playing.   Isaac has a crazy advantage over every young player who's developing their game.  He has a nice looking shot, too.  AD took a while to develop a J, and Giannis still doesn't have one.  

 

The ankle worries me, not gonna lie, but if they can get that under control, his stats could look crazy on the box score once he gets comfortable and given more freedom on the offensive side.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bruceleroy7 said:

I know some folks here will compare him to Chriss.. but he's far from it. Chriss is an emotional headcase. Isaac seems to have decent IQ and doesn't make too many mistakes. The only thing holding him back is injury risk. knock on wood he can stay healthy

He could not be more different than Chriss. The only comparison is their height and wingspan. That is it. I watched Isaac block Lebron on a 3, a drive, and then force him into a high arching fadeaway that was a bad miss on a post up. I don't think I have ever seen a player do that to Lebron. Granted, Lebron isn't getting the same lift he was in his prime, but that is still impressive. In that span 90 second span Chriss would have fouled out twice. 

 

To everyone rolling their eyes at this thread...most of the talk is about his real life play. All you have to do is watch him on defense and he is impressive. His offensive role will severely cap his upside. But if he stays healthy and gets minutes he is going to get his on defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

 In that span 90 second span Chriss would have fouled out twice. 

 

:lol: That made me laugh out loud

I'm soft punting points, though am only rostering 1 C at the moment. FAAB league so I can't really spend the money on streaming.
It's nice to get 6 rebounds and with potential to get multi-block games from a SF eligible player. He's really valuable to my team at the moment if he keeps up his big man counting stats (and <1 TO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Vuc even going to get traded though? Everyone believes its a pretty much a foregone conclusion but the Magic are actually competing for a playoff spot lol, whether or not they should be is a different question but if they’re still just a couple games out of the playoffs or so around the trade deadline, I’m not sure Vuc will get traded anywhere. Also who or what team is even offering worthy assets for Vucevic?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Boogie Buckets said:

Is Vuc even going to get traded though? Everyone believes its a pretty much a foregone conclusion but the Magic are actually competing for a playoff spot lol, whether or not they should be is a different question but if they’re still just a couple games out of the playoffs or so around the trade deadline, I’m not sure Vuc will get traded anywhere. Also who or what team is even offering worthy assets for Vucevic?

Believe Zing mentioned earlier Vuc getting traded won't affect Isaac as much. He's actually a very complementary piece to that starting unit because they need a strong defender and someone to just spread the floor. Vuc only really affects Bamba imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bruceleroy7 said:

Believe Zing mentioned earlier Vuc getting traded won't affect Isaac as much. He's actually a very complementary piece to that starting unit because they need a strong defender and someone to just spread the floor. Vuc only really affects Bamba imo

Vooch is an offensive weapon and Bamba won't take all those shots.  Maybe Isaac won't benefit from that much from it either, but those shots need to go somewhere and it ain't Bamba. More likely mostly Gordon and then an extra shot here and there for like five dudes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yeet said:

2 steals in 3 minutes with no other stats. What even is this dude lmao

hes like noel with the defensive stats but he can shoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Boogie Buckets said:

Is Vuc even going to get traded though? Everyone believes its a pretty much a foregone conclusion but the Magic are actually competing for a playoff spot lol, whether or not they should be is a different question but if they’re still just a couple games out of the playoffs or so around the trade deadline, I’m not sure Vuc will get traded anywhere. Also who or what team is even offering worthy assets for Vucevic?

 

 

I think the Magic are doing what the Kings did earlier in the season, but coming back down to earth now.

 

They are both stacked with young talent, that when they are all playing well at the same time, and while showcasing their vets ( Bjelica / Vuc ), they can string together a bunch of wins.

 

The problem is neither team's upcoming stars are ready to be the focal point of a playoff team, yet.  They have the skills, and developing their weaknesses, but they will prove to be too inconsistent, and outmatched by the top veterans when the real playoff teams start to click, and their superstars figure out the best strategy for their teams to be the most effective.

 

Gordon is awesome!  He's gonna be a great all around player and focal point of the Magic for years to come.

 

Fox is aweome!  Same can be said for him.  It's a fact.  They're both locked in with multi-year contracts.

 

Both organizations know they aren't contendors though, yet.  There's too many teams that are years of development ahead of them, so inevitably, they'll revert to the mean, and reality will set in when those top teams drop the hammer on them, and overwhelm these guys.  The organizations will come to terms with it, make the trades to fit their core young players' timelines, and guys like Isaac, Bamba, Hield, Bagley will get to see how they stack up against the stars while they pile up losses for another shot at a lottery pick.

 

This happens every year with very, very few exceptions.  Standings look a lot different, and outcomes of games are much more predictable when all the players and teams settle in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The beauty of the NBA, and especially Fantasy NBA, is that there are only 5 starters per team.  The rosters are much smaller than other sports, so by midseason, the teams that are expected to play well, do just that.  NBA is the easiest sport to predict players becoming stars, and teams making the playoffs, and meeting in the finals.  There are very few surprises because the best top players impact the game at such a rate then an entire football, or baseball team.

 

I love playing Fantasy Basketball because there's way less luck involved in winning the leagues.  Injuries happen, and opportunities arise for players, and hurt teams, but overall it's very predictable if you stay informed.  We are gambling for sure, but I compare fantasy basketball to poker, where skills win out most of the time, with the exception of newbies getting super lucky even if they play their cards wrong, like auto draft or injuries.  Fantasy baseball and especially football is like playing roulette because guys come out of nowhere all the time, skills don't always represent the stats they put up, and injuries happen all the time in football that can destroy a really well built fantasy team.  You're spinning a roulette wheel with other sports, but playing a well thought out poker game in basketball.

 

Isaac is a great hold.  He can sit on your bench if you need more popcorn stats, and not desperate for stocks, and some 3's, or play him if you need those.  Either way, unles that ankle can't hold up, he's gonna be much more valuable come ASB, and Vuc is almost a lock to get moved.  He has no place on this roster, age-wise, pay-wise, position wise ( Bamba fits right in ), and team skills wise ( the Magic organization is zeroed in on great defenders that are either physical freaks in length, size, or athletically). 

 

Vuc is showcasing and it's best case scenario right now for the future of the Magic.  This year's draft was another strike of good luck for the Magic because big men were the focal point.  Everyone said the modern day NBA is now a Guard's league.  Now big men are holding value again, because teams need to counter the run and gun, spread offense, with a rim protector and Center that can shoot from 3.  

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.