J.T. Marlin

Jonas Valanciunas 2018-19 Season Outlook

It's depressing his value, not killing it.  Two very different things.  His value would be higher with 30 minutes, of course.  But he's still very useful.  In one of my leagues he's returning 59th ranked value right now, for example.

5 minutes ago, TomPe said:

This time sharing with Ibaka and constant lineup changes are killing JV's value. If Ibaka gets injured, then JV can be a monster. If Ibaka is healthy, JV may still be useful, though he will have his ups and downs. However, I am not sure if you can actually buy low on him at the moment, guess would need to wait for some string of bad games and then try to pull the deal. 

Ibaka is just not that good. JV is a much better player. The line-up changes have to stop at a certain point right? Nurse wants to see what he has with his new team but come december, I think well see defined roles and rotations. 

1 minute ago, Tom Chambers said:

It's depressing his value, not killing it.  Two very different things.  His value would be higher with 30 minutes, of course.  But he's still very useful.  In one of my leagues he's returning 59th ranked value right now, for example.

Agreed. He is ranked 40th in 9-cat leagues while playing 20 mins a game. There is no way his minutes dont go up. JV is the better player between him and Ibaka, and if you see one weakness on the raptors teams... its rebounding. JV will get his once the team settles in. If JV gets in to the mid to high 20s in minutes (which is very plausible) then he will be very valuable.

I'm not going to panic as long as he's contributing, but I did reach for this guy in the 5th thinking he'd get around 30+ minutes. I thought Nurse was going to unleash JVal and give him at least 30 minutes per game. 

There are some fairly smart people on this forum but the best experts are those who have close personal experience watching the player in question such as @Jake the snake  with Jval.  I disagreed with him one season but soon realized he was correct.  There’s a reason why he gets the playing time he gets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has and probably always will be the story with Valanciunas. As fantasy players, we all want to see him in a bigger role, but the fact is he just doesn't really fit as well in real-life basketball in the modern NBA. Ibaka spaces the floor better on the offensive end, and is a better defender and less prone to mismatches on the defensive end. Ground-bound 7 footers that don't stretch the floor on offense and are a sieve at the rim on defense are becoming dinosaurs.

All that said - JV is still useful in a 20-25 min/night role if you accept what he is and what he gives you. He's just more of an end of your roster guy that doesn't hurt your %s and gets pts/boards. 

• Like 3

Owned JV last year (not this time around). Looked then like he had added a 3 ball, stringing together multiple games with ones. At least last year it was successful enough that it made people close out on him, giving him also the option to drive.

I have 5 minutes to decide whether to drop. Im thinking id rather stream the spot

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Crazy how JV's per 36 numbers improve materially every year...

...and his minutes decline every year!

Not that crazy.  As stamina is not infinite one would expect output on a per minute basis to decrease as minutes increase.

I watched the whole game last night, first time this season watching the Raps. JV hit a 3 and took a few more perimeter shots, which was encouraging. If he can stretch the floor on offense a little more that's huge. Had to love the offense last night, and he's very involved on that end when he's in the game. Coming in with the second unit might even help him in that regard. Embiid is a tough matchup defensively, and he predictably struggled, getting into foul trouble a bit at the end which may have slightly impacted the minutes, but moreso than that, they just don't play him much when the game is on the line. Raptors had a big lead going into the fourth, but gave up a Sixers run to let them back in it, and JV hardly saw the floor in the fourth quarter. They just can't trust him on defense over Ibaka. 

On a side note, Siakim looked incredible. 

Owning Raptors players this year so far has been amazing and my theory of owning Ibaka and Valanciunas is looking nice. The Raptors are going to win more games than not and I think Valanciunas puts up good numbers even with 17-20 minutes.

his per 36 numbers are unreal (27 and 14)... If nurse ups his minutes or ibaka gets injured then he will feast! 

Even so, he does more than enough damage in 20 minutes to be a valuable piece to any team.

18 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

his per 36 numbers are unreal (27 and 14)... If nurse ups his minutes or ibaka gets injured then he will feast! 

Even so, he does more than enough damage in 20 minutes to be a valuable piece to any team.

Nurse will still play matchups and his numbers are a lil inflated playing against 2nd unit off the bench.

53 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Nurse will still play matchups and his numbers are a lil inflated playing against 2nd unit off the bench.

his per 36 stats were 21 and 14 last year too. This guy is a beast, it all comes down to pt, as well as ibaka has played this year, i still think will be the primary C sooner or later

I do not have high hopes for him at all. His playing time is trending down  since 2013/2014 season.   I think JV had enough time to prove  that he deserves 30+ min 

It just sucks every team is playing faster and faster and going small for half the game. If your center can't defend the perimeter these days you won't get playing time. 3 of my centers are struggling to get consistent pt because of this. 

Edited by Raiiny