larfboy

Markelle Fultz 2018-19 Season Thread

1 hour ago, apatas said:

In what to believe? He can have skills, but Orlando's starting five is set and sixth man is Terrence Ross. I can't see more than 15 minutes for Fultz.

Those few minutes are fine to begin the season. As long as he’s playing, this’ll hopefully help him regain his confidence. And i’m hoping his shoulders are fully ok, or at least improving. 

5 hours ago, seeL said:

Any remaining Fultz believers here? Or am i the only one? I hope he’s fully healthy now. I love his skills.

I believe too. He will get there by all-star break

5 hours ago, seeL said:

Any remaining Fultz believers here? Or am i the only one? I hope he’s fully healthy now. I love his skills.

How was he not healthy before?

6 hours ago, apatas said:

In what to believe? He can have skills, but Orlando's starting five is set and sixth man is Terrence Ross. I can't see more than 15 minutes for Fultz.

I'm not into Fultz this year but this doesn't seem like a valid argument against him.
Their starting five is set sure, but with DJ Augustin at PG. Who is quite possibly the most replaceable starter in the entire league at this point.

No disrespect to Augustin, he's had a solid career and is a valuable role player but if Fultz at any point starts showing promise again his minutes are probably going down fast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seeL said:

Ah. So i see it’s just me who still believes in the kid. 

I'm still intrigued. The Magic have enough spacers where they can use Fultz in a way similar to the Sixers and Simmons. 

In general, I just don't love the Magic's starting 5 and how it all works together. Mostly Gordon and Fournier. But, to be fair, it isn't like they have had a PG so they have to be unconventional in initiating and creating offense. I would rather see Fultz and Vuc running the offense and seeing how high that upside could be than letting Fournier and Gordon soak up usage and knowing you are going to get some mediocre one and done in the playoffs as the upside. 

3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I'm still intrigued. The Magic have enough spacers where they can use Fultz in a way similar to the Sixers and Simmons. 

In general, I just don't love the Magic's starting 5 and how it all works together. Mostly Gordon and Fournier. But, to be fair, it isn't like they have had a PG so they have to be unconventional in initiating and creating offense. I would rather see Fultz and Vuc running the offense and seeing how high that upside could be than letting Fournier and Gordon soak up usage and knowing you are going to get some mediocre one and done in the playoffs as the upside. 

not a fan of gordon and fournier either.  Get a decent point guard and wing, play through Vucevic.

4 hours ago, qpeeters said:

I'm not into Fultz this year but this doesn't seem like a valid argument against him.
Their starting five is set sure, but with DJ Augustin at PG. Who is quite possibly the most replaceable starter in the entire league at this point.

No disrespect to Augustin, he's had a solid career and is a valuable role player but if Fultz at any point starts showing promise again his minutes are probably going down fast.

I agree with being replaceable, but DJ's pretty underrated offensively.  Gets to the line and hits FT at a high rate, makes the right passes, hits the 3 ball.  I watched a lot of Magic games last year and he's super underrated.  Fultz might be more talented by far, but its pretty simple - Augustin will hit the open 3 at a high rate, Fultz cannot shoot.  If the Magic want to win I can easily see them playing DJ over Fultz in crunch time to close games...

I don’t see how it can be believed that he is over the yips when he still can’t even admit it was the yips.

Hope for the best, but I don’t think anymore that he will ever mentally get there. Extremely easy pass for me.

• Like 1

I see here are much people playing dynasty leagues, but in redraft standard leagues it is nothing to discuss: Fultz is not worth to be drafted. Because I play also in deep (20 teams) league, there can be question where i have to look at him.

Didn't they find he has thoracic syndrome or something like that? And they say now he is over it? I cannot trust the Sixers medical stuff did a good job because they make a mess every year with their players. 

As for DJ yes this year he will remain the starter but Magic is going nowhere with this guy running the offense. If he is not replaced by Fultz he will be replaced by somebody else. I get they maybe happy now they just made playoffs, but he is not really good to take them to next level. At least Fultz has some physical tools for a higher ceiling, of course lower floor as well. But we shouldn't forget this is the youngest guy to ever get a triple double. He is not useless.

Edited by RipCity0

6 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

Magic is going nowhere with this guy running the offense.

Nowhere? Last season they went into play-offs first time after seven years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, apatas said:

Nowhere? Last season they went into play-offs first time after seven years.

Ok correction, their ceiling is limited. Nowhere higher than a first round exit. Although i guess this is a success right now.

• Like 1

The most questionable is a fact that Markelle Fultz has so far proved nothing. We can't expect that he is a man who can take Orlando to the next level. We don't even know is he better than Augustin or not. Give me some proof!

16 minutes ago, apatas said:

The most questionable is a fact that Markelle Fultz has so far proved nothing. We can't expect that he is a man who can take Orlando to the next level. We don't even know is he better than Augustin or not. Give me some proof!

Much like every rookie, but people still draft them.

I have no issue taking a flier on Fultz in one of the last few rounds as players in that range get dropped all the time for whatever is sexy on the wire anyways.

1 hour ago, Gorgeous George said:

I have no issue taking a flier on Fultz in one of the last few rounds.

I have and I don't. 100% sure. If he show something then later pick him from FA - never say never.

Edited by apatas

They gave up a late 1st and a 2nd rounder for this guy, then exercised the option to pay him $21m over the next two years. Magic have some sort of faith in him or feel it is worth the risk anyway despite the mental/physical issues. They also only have journeymen PGs like DJA on the roster. If he shows nothing in preseason (or someone better comes along on the wire), easy drop as he was a last round pick along with other fliers.

4 hours ago, apatas said:

Of course we do not know, but he may have a higher ceiling as he is not so limited physically. 

1 hour ago, a-rob said:

Fultz is a nice late round flyer, but even if he starts and gets minutes, temper your expectations. Even with the re-invented but still ugly looking shot. his FT% sucks, he can't hit a 3. 2 big negatives esp for a pg/sg. If available in round 12-14 sure take a flyer, but be ready to drop if he sucks

I agree with you.  However, I had to chuckle a little because you just described Ben Simmons.

• Like 1

Well, I just traded for Fultz and OG Anunoby in  a dynasty league.  If one of them makes that next step this year I would be extremely happy.

For a guard, you don't have to be a good shooter to be valuable in fantasy and real life.  See: Smart, Marcus, career 37.2%

Fultz doesn’t have to have top minutes right away. Just needs to healthy and playing some minutes, until hopefully he gets his confidence. It’s a good idea to buy him now in dynasty. You can buy him very cheap, so there’s very low risk. High reward if he gets over his issues.