larfboy

Markelle Fultz 2018-19 Season Thread

I think a move to the second unit would actually benefit Fultz, play off-ball guard first against softer lineups to build confidence. He'd actually have higher usage there.

Edited by ellejamil
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

I think a move to the second unit would actually benefit Fultz, play off-ball guard first against softer lineups to build confidence. He'd actually have higher usage there.

He's just not the right fit on this team. I get the idea of promoting him into the starting unit alongside SIimmons and Embiid in order to get him easier buckets, increase his confidence. But he can't shoot, and he won't take away primary ball handling duties from Simmons. With the second unit, his usage may increase but without shooters to create space for him, his efficiency just plummets even more. 

Call it premature, but this guy is a bust. He may still end up being a good pro, may end up on the same trajectory as some late bloomers, ie Chauncey Billups, but as a #1 pick, in the sense of what we expect #1 picks in any sport to be, he's not close.

• Like 1

My prediction is not busy. I think he’s going to be pretty good as a starting pg/sg in 3 years on another team.

also agree that I would prefer him from a fantasy standpoint leading the second unit.

8 hours ago, hodori said:

Yes. The difference is 400 million dollars. i.e the difference alone is 4x as much as what you would originally potentially stand to win? WTF?

Except it would come at the cost of an even lower chance of winning, and since I wouldn't expect another couple hundred of millions of dollars to make my life any better relatively speaking, why would I want to reduce my chances of winning? Give me 100 million and a 10x better chance of winning vs 1 billion and a worse chance of winning any day (or at least I would consider them equal at best).

I get why people buy the tickets in general; I just don't understand the logic in getting frenzied over a net negative.

1 hour ago, tremixt said:

He's just not the right fit on this team. I get the idea of promoting him into the starting unit alongside SIimmons and Embiid in order to get him easier buckets, increase his confidence. But he can't shoot, and he won't take away primary ball handling duties from Simmons. With the second unit, his usage may increase but without shooters to create space for him, his efficiency just plummets even more. 

Call it premature, but this guy is a bust. He may still end up being a good pro, may end up on the same trajectory as some late bloomers, ie Chauncey Billups, but as a #1 pick, in the sense of what we expect #1 picks in any sport to be, he's not close.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, the Sixers do at the deadline if Fultz is still underwhelming by then, since they certainly have the assets and the cap space to make a big move. Would they give Fultz more time to improve or would they cut bait and go for it sooner rather than later?

Edited by shadowmoses

Simmons out with back spasms. Fultz has a great opportunity here to show what he's got. Looking decent out there so far with some nice hustle plays.

8 hours ago, shadowmoses said:

Except it would come at the cost of an even lower chance of winning, and since I wouldn't expect another couple hundred of millions of dollars to make my life any better relatively speaking, why would I want to reduce my chances of winning? Give me 100 million and a 10x better chance of winning vs 1 billion and a worse chance of winning any day (or at least I would consider them equal at best).

I get why people buy the tickets in general; I just don't understand the logic in getting frenzied over a net negative.

But it's not a net negative... In order for it to be a net negative, your chances would also have to decrease 4x, meaning literally 4x as many people would have to enter? I.e. winnings increase 4x but number of entrants maybe doubles? You're still 2x ahead... 

I get what you're saying, youd rather 10% chance of winning $100 than a 1% chance of $1,000.

But in fantasy, and economics or even lotto, it's a numbers game. Risk vs return. Given noone in their right mind would be drafting fultz at the top end of the draft (where youd be targeting the 10% of $100 type players), it's a smart move to take a late round flier on him (1% of $1,000) compared to other players who pose similar risk (1%) for a lower potential payoff ($800 let's say for the purposes of this example)

Edited by hodori

Simmons might possibly miss a couple games with back issues thus catapulting Fultz into the starting lineup. This is probably the best opportunity we will get to see his true potential. I Hope he can rise to the challenge.

Will he just succumb to the pressure and forget how to shoot again? (Or just remain poor at shooting)

How's he look? Should be good down the stretch. FA in my league.

Just now, taco123 said:

How's he look? Should be good down the stretch. FA in my league.

hes looking real good. he hit a dam 3. if this game was in philly there would be funfetti raining down from the rafters and free cheese steaks for everyone 

im done with this guy...at least for the forseeable future.  the sixers are trying to make playoffs again...they most likely are just show casing fultz good spots to trade him.

i have colin sexton as well and hes a better "stash"...hes on a cavs that is now 0-3....most likely a lottery team..or they might barely make the 8 seed cuz its the east lol

Shai Alexander is my other hold and even though the clippers are pushing for playoffs...doc rivers is actually utilizing this kid to close out games.  

my league also has  will barton and kris dunn on the waiver wire since they were dropped (we have no IR spot)

its Overtime and this fultz  guy gets ZERO minutes in OT....again no ben simmons.

Every year I get screwed b/c of personal attachment to a player and just really wanting them to be more than what they are, or what their situation allows them to be.

WELP.. here I am again 

3 hours ago, gill2k said:

Wow!  He's looking real good!  Just had a dunk and now a block.

That’s because he really is good. All he lacks is confidence. He doesn’t fit in that team. I really hope they just trade him where he can have all the minutes he needs to gain confidence and develop as a player. Kid can stuff the stat sheet. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, seeL said:

That’s because he really is good. All he lacks is confidence. He doesn’t fit in that team. I really hope they just trade him where he can have all the minutes he needs to gain confidence and develop as a player. Kid can stuff the stat sheet. 

It was just bad timing in Fultz's career. Simmons just took off last year and won't look back. Simmons and Embiid are just generational talents and there is no room for Fultz on that roster. The Sixers should deal him and get back a piece that fits the roster now. 

In fairness to Brown, when you are down a superstar and you are trying to win it is really easy to go to the players that have your trust. He knows what TJ will give him. Reddick too. I don't blame him for not going back to Fultz in 4Q and OT. Your instinct kicks in and you just try to win that game. A couple years ago Fultz would have had the longest leash, but times have changed in Philly. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

It was just bad timing in Fultz's career. Simmons just took off last year and won't look back. Simmons and Embiid are just generational talents and there is no room for Fultz on that roster. The Sixers should deal him and get back a piece that fits the roster now. 

In fairness to Brown, when you are down a superstar and you are trying to win it is really easy to go to the players that have your trust. He knows what TJ will give him. Reddick too. I don't blame him for not going back to Fultz in 4Q and OT. Your instinct kicks in and you just try to win that game. A couple years ago Fultz would have had the longest leash, but times have changed in Philly. 

Completely inexcusable imo... If you show zero confidence in the kid, how do you expect him to gain the confidence and be the player you need him to be? We all know this kid has the talent, and everyone knows exactly what you can get out of TJ when closing out games. It's the 4th game of the season...A win or loss now has diminished value as compared to the middle and end of the year. Let the kid close out some games and play bigger minutes to see what you can get from him or if he can gain the confidence to be the player we all know he is capable of being. At least for the beginning of the season.

Anyways, my confidence is out for this kid. While I disagree with Brown's logic, I agree with your description of why Brown did what he did. I also do not foresee that changing at all, ESPECIALLY when Simmons is back to handle the ball. 

Time to drop? Dude’s just dropping dud after dud.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jin said:

Time to drop? Dude’s just dropping dud after dud.

To be fair he could of had a monster night last night against Detroit but the coach made a dumb decision to bench the hot hand in the fourth. I think he will eventually get it together but it’s gonna take patience,

in a 8-12 team you can probably find better but in deep leagues he’s a hold.