larfboy

Markelle Fultz 2018-19 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

I'm not buying it either. He spent two weeks going to different specialists and doctors until he found one that told him what he wanted.

 

The general reaction across social media of "shame on everyone that made fun of him" is astounding to me. The guy was supposedly physically fine earlier in the season yet now that his agent has magically produced this diagnosis out of nowhere to save face we're all just rolling with it?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he has the same illness I have!  I was diagnosed at a very early age with "I suck at basketball syndrome". Unfortunately in my case, there was no cure, so I had to give up my dreams of becoming the GOAT. :ph34r:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Apparently this is when the motorcycle accident happened. I need to try and find a link. 

Found it yet?

 

Do you honestly believe that the #1 pick in the NBA draft was in a motorcycle accident so traumatic that it resulted in him missing nearly his entire rookie year and a chunk of this one and not a single person on the planet can say when, where, or how it happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/11/markelle-fultz-motorcycle-sixers/

 

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/12/fultz-diagnosis-motorcycle-accident-injury/

 

https://www.12up.com/posts/6221914-rumor-old-motorcycle-accident-contributing-to-markelle-fultz-s-shooting-struggles

 

Is it more likely for someone to forget how to shoot a basketball or is it more likely he had a motorcycle accident? 

 

I've never seen a basketball player forgetting how to shoot. I've seen players who cant make shots, but they still follow through with the same form and technique. I've never, however, seen a player not knowing how to shoot a basketball like he was a 8 year old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Your thought process is exactly why I don't think we know everything to this story. I am starting to think this motorcycle accident that is supposedly being covered up might be a real thing. Shades of Jeff Kent.

 

I remember the Jeff Kent situation, and its possible this is also a motorcycle cover-up.   It is possible that Markelle did somehow get hurt at one point - motorcycle or not.  But I just do not believe he is hurt now, and has not been hurt physically all season.  With Kent, the lie was about how he got hurt and not if he was hurt.  Markelle has been saying in public he is fine physically. So I still believe this latest diagnosis is just another cover-up for the fact that he has the yips.  For some reason, he doesn't want to admit to it.  

 

9 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

Is it more likely for someone to forget how to shoot a basketball or is it more likely he had a motorcycle accident? 

 

I've never seen a basketball player forgetting how to shoot. I've seen players who cant make shots, but they still follow through with the same form and technique. I've never, however, seen a player not knowing how to shoot a basketball like he was a 8 year old

 

Yes, that is what the yips are. Not being able to do something that had previously been so basic and routine.  Rick Ankiel couldn't pitch with control anymore after throwing some wild pitches. Chuck Knoblauch all of the sudden after years of being a really good all-star player couldn't throw to first base anymore when he made a few throwing errors.  Nick Anderson after missing those 4 free throws in the NBA Finals was never the same.  This has happened to athletes before.  Some have gotten over it.  Some have not.

  

10 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

It's not like he had some soul crushing failure in some big moments. I don't see how he can develop the yips because he tried to change his shots during that two months or so between summer league and training camp. Even a bad high school player knows you shouldn't shoot the way he did on those free throws. 

 

You don't have to have a soul crushing failure to develop the yips.  Obviously we cannot pinpoint exactly how he developed the yips until he tells us, but something happened to him for him to get it.  Yes, he may know he should shoot with a good technique at the free throw line, but it is not something he can properly do at this point.  He does not want to shoot with a hitch.  He tried the bounce ball thing in an effort to not have the spasm.  This is mental.  So I just don't buy what his agent is trying to sell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/11/markelle-fultz-motorcycle-sixers/

 

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/12/fultz-diagnosis-motorcycle-accident-injury/

 

https://www.12up.com/posts/6221914-rumor-old-motorcycle-accident-contributing-to-markelle-fultz-s-shooting-struggles

 

Is it more likely for someone to forget how to shoot a basketball or is it more likely he had a motorcycle accident? 

 

I've never seen a basketball player forgetting how to shoot. I've seen players who cant make shots, but they still follow through with the same form and technique. I've never, however, seen a player not knowing how to shoot a basketball like he was a 8 year old

@Kaboom See these links yet?

10 hours ago, Kaboom said:

Found it yet?

 

Do you honestly believe that the #1 pick in the NBA draft was in a motorcycle accident so traumatic that it resulted in him missing nearly his entire rookie year and a chunk of this one and not a single person on the planet can say when, where, or how it happened?

I know of at least 25,111,320 guaranteed reasons why Markelle's advisors/personal team would not want the news to get out. And that is the minimum amount of reasons from one source and it only increases from there. The situation is weird. No one will know all of the information for a while, if ever. It is just weird. There is a ton of smoke coming from a lot of different places. This story is far from playing out, but it is a little funny how Colangelo escaped this whole thing without much of a scratch (although he probably won't ever work in the NBA again). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kaboom said:

Found it yet?

 

Do you honestly believe that the #1 pick in the NBA draft was in a motorcycle accident so traumatic that it resulted in him missing nearly his entire rookie year and a chunk of this one and not a single person on the planet can say when, where, or how it happened?

Take it into another sport with Madison Bumgarner and his dirt bike accident. He came out and just admitted it but it is extremely doubtful he ever gets back to what he was but age plays a part of that also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

 

I remember the Jeff Kent situation, and its possible this is also a motorcycle cover-up.   It is possible that Markelle did somehow get hurt at one point - motorcycle or not.  But I just do not believe he is hurt now, and has not been hurt physically all season.  With Kent, the lie was about how he got hurt and not if he was hurt.  Markelle has been saying in public he is fine physically. So I still believe this latest diagnosis is just another cover-up for the fact that he has the yips.  For some reason, he doesn't want to admit to it.  

 

If Fultz is hiding an accident the "lie" would be the exact same motivations for Kent's "lie". Money. That is all. Both sports have guaranteed contracts so breaking your contract is the only way to not get paid. Of course Fultz has to say he is healthy is he wants to get paid his $25 million guaranteed. 

 

@Tekno Team 2000I quoted you above, but the following isn't directed at you or singling you out. The "you" is directed towards the general group after Fultz to admit the yips.

In general, this seems like there is a side that wants Fultz to say he has a mental block. So let's say that happens, and Fultz says he has the yips. What then? Does that side laugh? Leave him alone? Feel justified or vindicated? Serious question, what do you all want from Fultz? Fultz is a public figure that goes to work in front of millions of people. He is bullied and ridiculed constantly. He is visibly miserable. He plays a competitive sport and he is not competitive. Admitting it, hiding it, being legit hurt, whatever....he still suffers the same consequences regardless of the truth. For all anyone knows he is the toughest MFer in the NBA from a pain threshold perspective and has been struggling to get his shot up and trying to compete with a compromised body for almost 2 years now. He may have altered his shot to account for a physical handicap just so he can compete (and get paid). What would you do and suffer through for 3 years of your life to make $25 million? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was lovely. Now, can we focus? What are his ROS fantasy prospects? Let's say he has an accurate diagnosis. He rehabs. Comes back in 6 weeks. The team has already moved on, I think. They cemented their decision with that trade. So now the best hope for Fultz is a trade. Right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Take it into another sport with Madison Bumgarner and his dirt bike accident. He came out and just admitted it but it is extremely doubtful he ever gets back to what he was but age plays a part of that also.

Bumgarner is on a ridiculously cheap contract for his skillset, beloved in SF, etc. so he was never really at risk of the Giants terminating his deal. If the Giants terminated his contract he would make more money on the open market even with the injury so he had all of the leverage. Definitely reckless. All of this recreational injury stuff is based on money. That is all it is. Fultz holds zero leverage having accomplished nothing in the league. Bumgarner holds leverage.

 

1 minute ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

That was lovely. Now, can we focus? What are his ROS fantasy prospects? Let's say he has an accurate diagnosis. He rehabs. Comes back in 6 weeks. The team has already moved on, I think. They cemented their decision with that trade. So now the best hope for Fultz is a trade. Right?

Haha...good transition...nothing to see with Fultz IMO. The only interest is if he is traded. Philly was a bad situation for him and that was made worse with Butler. If you roster him you have to do so speculating on a trade. Even then, he has flaws in his game. %'s being the main ones. So only super deep leagues with an IR for this year at this point. If a trade happens and he goes to Phx and his form looks like what he had in Wash then pick him up. But there are better bets out there with higher expected payouts than Fultz. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

If Fultz is hiding an accident the "lie" would be the exact same motivations for Kent's "lie". Money. That is all. Both sports have guaranteed contracts so breaking your contract is the only way to not get paid. Of course Fultz has to say he is healthy is he wants to get paid his $25 million guaranteed. 

 

@Tekno Team 2000I quoted you above, but the following isn't directed at you or singling you out. The "you" is directed towards the general group after Fultz to admit the yips.

In general, this seems like there is a side that wants Fultz to say he has a mental block. So let's say that happens, and Fultz says he has the yips. What then? Does that side laugh? Leave him alone? Feel justified or vindicated? Serious question, what do you all want from Fultz? Fultz is a public figure that goes to work in front of millions of people. He is bullied and ridiculed constantly. He is visibly miserable. He plays a competitive sport and he is not competitive. Admitting it, hiding it, being legit hurt, whatever....he still suffers the same consequences regardless of the truth. For all anyone knows he is the toughest MFer in the NBA from a pain threshold perspective and has been struggling to get his shot up and trying to compete with a compromised body for almost 2 years now. He may have altered his shot to account for a physical handicap just so he can compete (and get paid). What would you do and suffer through for 3 years of your life to make $25 million? 

 

So last year the Sixers said he had Scapular muscle imbalance and was shut down to rehab.  We never heard that the organization had doubts about how he developed this.  So he rehabbed and came back a little toward the end of the year, but then had no playoff role.  He had a shooting coach this whole offseason.  He started and played.  But his shooting problems remained.  Before Bulter, Fultz nor the organization said it was because he was still hurt though. 

 

After they trade for Butler and he is taken out of the starting lineup, he then has to see a specialist and it is said he has TOS????  I don't think this is about hiding the cause of an injury, otherwise we would have heard the Sixers raising doubts about it. The Sixers are acting like they don't know anything right now. I think the organization knows more than they are letting on. I think Fultz and his agent are lying about what is causing his shooting woes, and I think for some reason Fultz and the Sixers do not want the public/teams to know he has the yips.  If they had doubts about the cause of his "injury" I think we would have known that by now.

 

I want him to admit it and properly get help for it and succeed because although he is getting paid millions, it is a sad situation when a mental issue derails a career like that.  He doesn't seem like a bad kid and he has talent.  I do not want him to be ridiculed for it at all.

 

In terms of fantasy to "focus" - hahaha.  A trade is not going to matter for Fultz this year.  I think this year as a fantasy asset he is done regardless because I don't think he is going to just come back 6 weeks from now and be ok on any team.  This is going to take longer than that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea his fantasy outloook this year is zero, drop in re drafts no reason to hold

 

dynasty's hold obv

 

so all there is really left to talk about in this thread is what is currently being discussed since hes irrelevant this season haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea his fantasy outloook this year is zero, drop in re drafts no reason to hold

 

dynasty's hold obv

 

so all there is really left to talk about in this thread is what is currently being discussed since hes irrelevant this season haha

I think dynasty owners are in the same boat as the Sixers. If you can get some decent value you pull the trigger. If you can't then you need to play it out. I wouldn't say a dynasty owner is wrong trading him away right now. I would even understand if someone needed his roster spot to compete and needed to drop him. Obviously, try to trade him, even for a second round pick, but if you can't do that and you need to drop to win a championship then I wouldn't call you crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

That was lovely. Now, can we focus? What are his ROS fantasy prospects? Let's say he has an accurate diagnosis. He rehabs. Comes back in 6 weeks. The team has already moved on, I think. They cemented their decision with that trade. So now the best hope for Fultz is a trade. Right?

 

ROS fantasy prospects? What ROS fantasy prospects? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

Is it more likely for someone to forget how to shoot a basketball or is it more likely he had a motorcycle accident? 

 

Or is it more likely that Fultz actually has TOS?

 

Yeah, OK you guys DON'T like that diagnosis, but it don't make it wrong.  Not like I see a lot of medical knowledge in here among the yip meisters and EZ riders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, swyck said:

 

Or is it more likely that Fultz actually has TOS?

 

Yeah, OK you guys DON'T like that diagnosis, but it don't make it wrong.  Not like I see a lot of medical knowledge in here among the yip meisters and EZ riders.

 

well apparently the philly medical staff and all the other specialists he saw have about as much medical knowledge as us on the subject.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

 

So last year the Sixers said he had Scapular muscle imbalance and was shut down to rehab.  We never heard that the organization had doubts about how he developed this.  So he rehabbed and came back a little toward the end of the year, but then had no playoff role.  He had a shooting coach this whole offseason.  He started and played.  But his shooting problems remained.  Before Bulter, Fultz nor the organization said it was because he was still hurt though. 

 

After they trade for Butler and he is taken out of the starting lineup, he then has to see a specialist and it is said he has TOS????  I don't think this is about hiding the cause of an injury, otherwise we would have heard the Sixers raising doubts about it. The Sixers are acting like they don't know anything right now. I think the organization knows more than they are letting on. I think Fultz and his agent are lying about what is causing his shooting woes, and I think for some reason Fultz and the Sixers do not want the public/teams to know he has the yips.  If they had doubts about the cause of his "injury" I think we would have known that by now.

 

I want him to admit it and properly get help for it and succeed because although he is getting paid millions, it is a sad situation when a mental issue derails a career like that.  He doesn't seem like a bad kid and he has talent.  I do not want him to be ridiculed for it at all.

 

In terms of fantasy to "focus" - hahaha.  A trade is not going to matter for Fultz this year.  I think this year as a fantasy asset he is done regardless because I don't think he is going to just come back 6 weeks from now and be ok on any team.  This is going to take longer than that.

 

Go read the Neubeck article from today. I think the context and quotes there make it pretty clear that this is not primarily a mental issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

That was lovely. Now, can we focus? What are his ROS fantasy prospects? Let's say he has an accurate diagnosis. He rehabs. Comes back in 6 weeks. The team has already moved on, I think. They cemented their decision with that trade. So now the best hope for Fultz is a trade. Right?

 

Best case: he rehabs in 3 weeks, returns, shows enough to get traded, and gets all the run he can on a team like the Suns. In this situation he could be like a 17/5/6 type player with decent stocks but no/few threes and probably bad %s/TOs. So a punt-dependent value. Odds of this happening are probably like 20%.

 

Worst case: nothing is resolved this season. 20%

 

Middle case: too much uncertainty to make any kind of read on his value for the next six weeks. 60%

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

 

Best case: he rehabs in 3 weeks, returns, shows enough to get traded, and gets all the run he can on a team like the Suns. In this situation he could be like a 17/5/6 type player with decent stocks but no/few threes and probably bad %s/TOs. So a punt-dependent value. Odds of this happening are probably like 20%.

 

Worst case: nothing is resolved this season. 20%

 

Middle case: too much uncertainty to make any kind of read on his value for the next six weeks. 60%

 

 

The Sixers need a player like Ariza that can space and play defense. He would be very valuable as a small 4. Fultz going from Philly to Phx is about as opposite as you can get. It would be ideal. Ultimately, it is going to be a question of matching salary and figuring out the other pieces. But this is the Suns we are talking about so how knows. They will probably say something about like they like what Jamal Crawford has been showing and want to further develop him. I would probably say the odds are 5/35/60, but I like your scenarios. There really aren't many teams in a position to be able to take on Fultz right now and actually play him to see what they have. The West is all competing outside of Phx and the East has a lot of bad teams with young PGs or are in NYC and that won't be good for anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

The Sixers need a player like Ariza that can space and play defense. He would be very valuable as a small 4. Fultz going from Philly to Phx is about as opposite as you can get. It would be ideal. Ultimately, it is going to be a question of matching salary and figuring out the other pieces. But this is the Suns we are talking about so how knows. They will probably say something about like they like what Jamal Crawford has been showing and want to further develop him. I would probably say the odds are 5/35/60, but I like your scenarios. There really aren't many teams in a position to be able to take on Fultz right now and actually play him to see what they have. The West is all competing outside of Phx and the East has a lot of bad teams with young PGs or are in NYC and that won't be good for anyone. 

Lol Philly had a 3 and D guy before in Covington 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DezedandConfused said:

Lol Philly had a 3 and D guy before in Covington 

Yea, but I think Butler is going to get integrated and is far better than Covington. All of the contenders will be searching for 3 and D wings. All of them. It is just today's NBA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Yea, but I think Butler is going to get integrated and is far better than Covington. All of the contenders will be searching for 3 and D wings. All of them. It is just today's NBA. 

True 3 and D wings are the modern PFs of the Nba which is why I agree Ariza would be a great fit, while Fultz will be given an opportunity to start fresh. I think Warren would also be a great fit for the Sixers, can play PF and/or be the primary option off the bench.

Edited by DezedandConfused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eltoro said:

 

Go read the Neubeck article from today. I think the context and quotes there make it pretty clear that this is not primarily a mental issue.

 

Did it tho? He saw over 10 specialists and when TOS was finally publicly made as the “diagnosis”, a specific doctor was not named with it.  

 

Come on. Do you really think it was so hard to pinpoint that he needed to see that many doctors? Or do you think he just kept seeing different ones until he got the answer/treatment plan he wanted to hear from the anonymous doctor that wouldn’t involve the words mental, yips, and psychologist?

 

tenor.gif?itemid=11100533

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

The Sixers need a player like Ariza that can space and play defense. He would be very valuable as a small 4. Fultz going from Philly to Phx is about as opposite as you can get. It would be ideal. Ultimately, it is going to be a question of matching salary and figuring out the other pieces. But this is the Suns we are talking about so how knows. They will probably say something about like they like what Jamal Crawford has been showing and want to further develop him. I would probably say the odds are 5/35/60, but I like your scenarios. There really aren't many teams in a position to be able to take on Fultz right now and actually play him to see what they have. The West is all competing outside of Phx and the East has a lot of bad teams with young PGs or are in NYC and that won't be good for anyone. 

 

I agree with much of what you've written in this thread. I think Fultz is shaping up to the most intriguing pick for NEXT year's redraft in fantasy. Between now and then, he will rehab, get treated, and likely get traded. And hopefully get right.

 

Imagine if Phoenix trades for him? Perfect trade. I'd love to see Washington Fultz in Phoenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.