Sign in to follow this  
Grumption

Crazy to go RB,WR,QB,TE on the first 4 picks? 12man Re-Draft league

On the 11th spot, and this seems to be a legit option in about 40% of mock drafts:

1st round: RB - Melvin Gordon

2nd round: WR Julio Jones

3rd round: TE - Zach Ertz

4th round: QB - Aaron Rodgers

Now it doesn't look bad, but goes against all my internal logic of drafting. Going back to back TE-QB just feels dirty but they are the best tier for the respective positions. Obviously, this isn't a for sure thing, just curious if anyone would consider this or only choose one or the other (Rodgers or Ertz).

Thanks!

1 minute ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Terrible strategy.

I agree, just seems to be how the draft falls to me. I wouldn't say I go into the draft hoping for this outcome, but I guess grabbing Ertz and another RB at the turn is a smarter, less risky go.

I'm a big fan of TE in the 3rd especially late 3rd but I don't think I could justify an early TE and early QB. QB is just too deep for me to justify spending that early of a pick on. You can still wait a few rounds a probably still pickup one of the top 5 QBs by draft position. I think 4th round is when players begin to have a lot more question marks so with an early 4th round pick I'd be trying to snatch up the 3rd rounder who fell. 

agree.. hard to advocate that strategy, ...however, I will say this.. a top tier QB and/or  TE can  make some good trade bait...

Pass on Rodgers take a RB there and grab Watson in the 5th.

i drafted from the 12 recently(12 team) and I hate that draft position. But I ended up with Beckham, cook, ertz, Gordon. Took a flyer on ertz there and I thought I should have went RB

Rodgers won't be there in the 4th he is going in between Rd 1 & 2 You don't want any Jets, Browns, Bears QB as you're starter just saying. 

13 hours ago, Grumption said:

Going back to back TE-QB just feels dirty

The question is always: what is the added value above a player in the same position a couple rounds later?  

- TE in round 3 vs round 8: Ertz or Reed. Ertz will get you around 5 PPG more (PPR or Std are similar).
- RBs at the same rounds: say Collins/MIller vs Anderson/Chubb. The difference in PPG is minimal.
- WRs: Cooper/JuJu or Edelman/Goodwin. The 3rd rounders are expected to score a couple PPG higher.

- QB: Watson/Brady vs Stafford/Garroppolo. This could potentially again be a pretty good upgrade.

I started typing that yes, you are dirty, but actually reviewing the numbers, I'm going to agree with you. Yes (and I feel dirty just typing this), what you say may make sense. But you'll get a lot of flak for it, and so will I - I hope it will lead to a good discussion, which is why I put my thinking explicitly above.

I personally would chose either an early QB or early TE but not both. But there’s many different ways to win in fantasy football and I don’t think it would be horrible if you went that route. My preference would be only one or the other if I was locked in to getting a QB or TE early. 

13 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Rodgers won't be there in the 4th he is going in between Rd 1 & 2 You don't want any Jets, Browns, Bears QB as you're starter just saying. 

Another gem 

18 hours ago, kramer said:

agree.. hard to advocate that strategy, ...however, I will say this.. a top tier QB and/or  TE can  make some good trade bait...

QBs have crap trade value. There are too many viable ones.

"QBs have crap trade value. There are too many viable ones. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one would think... but, I have seen it go down many times...

On 7/19/2018 at 2:07 PM, Grumption said:

1st round: RB - Melvin Gordon

2nd round: WR Julio Jones

3rd round: TE - Zach Ertz

4th round: QB - Aaron Rodgers

If you knew this is how it would fall, sure, go for it.  But I certainly wouldn't lock myself into doing it.

Return the favor?