Sign in to follow this  
Fabios1993

Baker Mayfield 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Hue is going to put Tyrod Taylor back in as soon as Taylor clears the concussion protocol because that will be Hue being Hue.  But when Taylor falls on his face again, then it will be Mayfield time.

In fantasy, at least in 1 QB leagues, there are too many other quarterbacks in better situations to roster Mayfield.

I hate Hue as much as the next guy but even I don't think he's dumb enough to start Tyrod again. Baker could save his job(hopefully not). 

Edited by Biw

11 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Hue is going to put Tyrod Taylor back in as soon as Taylor clears the concussion protocol because that will be Hue being Hue.  But when Taylor falls on his face again, then it will be Mayfield time.

In fantasy, at least in 1 QB leagues, there are too many other quarterbacks in better situations to roster Mayfield.

I don't see how that could happen.  I would be surprised if Cle owner didn't fire Hue on the spot if he doesnt start Baker next week.

6 hours ago, kdko said:

Anyone have any doubts that if Mayfield took 1st team reps all offseason and played the first 2 games that the Browns would be 3-0 right now?

If Mayfield had been the starting kicker, the Browns would be 3-0 right now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, youngrice said:

Trust me I really like Baker and think he will be a stud at some point.  But lets all calm down.  Its one game and don't forget Darnold was the best rookie QB ever after week 1 according to some.

Yep, that week 1 with Baker throwing 0 yards really catapulted Darnold over him..

2 hours ago, A27K said:

Alright... we got the hype train out of the way. What are we looking at from a fantasy outlook ROS.

He's not worth much if he doesnt throw TD's.

He will be great for landry and hyde's value

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

I don't see how that could happen.  I would be surprised if Cle owner didn't fire Hue on the spot if he doesnt start Baker next week.

it's not  Hues' decision to make

Dorsey and Haley are the ones making that choice. Hue has input but it's not his final decision.

1. Dorsey drafted Mayfield and made the decision to sit him behind Taylor same as he did with mahommes in KC

2. Haley has complete control of the offense and personnel who play.  if you don't think so go back to the Steelers game where Hue made public statements for a week that josh Gordon wouldnt start. 1st play Josh Gordon started because Haley called the play and the personnel package.

3. Hue is HC in name because Haslam retained him he manages the overall team and games but he has a narrrowly defined role and reports to Dorsey who is the GM whereas last 2 years he didnt report to Sashi who was the EVP of football operations:Hue had control over all decisions made on the field regarding games and players.

3 hours ago, fakespike said:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and should just save face and walk away. 

Darnold college YPA: 8.4, 8.6

Mayfield YPA those seasons: 11.1, 11.5

In no universe was darnolds college career better, by any metric or eye test, than mayfield’s. 

Btw, as I’m sure you’re already aware, Mayfield threw the ball 60 MPH at the combine, the same as Mahomes the year before. 97% percentile among all tested QB in combine history. Darnold didn’t throw (some scouts say he was afraid to), but the projections I’ve read on his arm have him in the lower 50s range. The arm talent disparity was on full display tonight, did you not watch the game?

The fact that Darnold threw a bunch of dead duck INTs in college isn’t really a virtue. 

Nice strawman

• Like 1

He looks great! I think he and Sam Darnold have a bright future!

I just like the fact that he didn't force himself to get a TD pass or run, just wants to win.  Undersize, but if he keeps this up he'll stay in the NFL for a while.

2 minutes ago, Lockout King said:

I just like the fact that he didn't force himself to get a TD pass or run, just wants to win.  Undersize, but if he keeps this up he'll stay in the NFL for a while.

good on the Browns for running the ball on the goal line and not forcing the issue through the air too. this will only help Baker moving forward

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

lol, if he does he'll lose the team, city, state, and his job.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fakespike said:

Btw, as I’m sure you’re already aware, Mayfield threw the ball 60 MPH at the combine, the same as Mahomes the year before. 97% percentile among all tested QB in combine history.

I appreciate this data point cause I was thinking that Mayfield's throws were zipping around in a way that reminded me of Mahomes. I wonder if some of the drops are cause the receivers were getting fastballs when they were used to change ups.

3 hours ago, Biw said:

I hate Hue as much as the next guy but even I don't think he's dumb enough to start Tyrod again. Baker could save his job(hopefully not). 

I agree, people are going too far with this Hue is a terrible coach narrative. Taking everything he says or does and spinning it into a negative. With his statements after the game he’s just trying to protect Tyrod.

8 minutes ago, GuyBroMan said:

I agree, people are going too far with this Hue is a terrible coach narrative. Taking everything he says or does and spinning it into a negative. With his statements after the game he’s just trying to protect Tyrod.

it's people who have no idea of  the browns organization. Granted Hue was responsible for the last 2yrs of on field loses and he threw Sashi under the bus to keep his job but this year he has been handcuffed and is basically a mouthpiece for the team. The owner and the players like him that's the only reason he still has the title of HC. Dorsey just moved up a notch with the owner with Ward and baker picks paying divdends immediately in terms of a win.

Don't be surprised is Dorsey and Haley factions don't orchestrate a move to push him out before the end of the season.

Edited by dashoe

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

it's people who have no idea of  the browns organization. Granted Hue was responsible for the last 2yrs of on field loses and he threw Sashi under the bus to keep his job but this year he has been handcuffed and is basically a mouthpiece for the team. The owner and the players like him that's the only reason he still has the title of HC. Dorsey just moved up a notch with the owner with Ward and baker picks paying divdends immediately in terms of a win.

Don't be surprised is Dorsey and Haley factions don't orchestrate a move to push him out before the end of the season.

your post has nothing to do with hue being a garbage coach though, which he is

5 minutes ago, panthers93 said:

your post has nothing to do with hue being a garbage coach though, which he is

Maybe u missed the part where i mentioned Hue was responsible for the on field  losses for the last 2yrs?  [Removed passive-aggressive attack]

Edited by tonycpsu

22 minutes ago, diverz4 said:

I appreciate this data point cause I was thinking that Mayfield's throws were zipping around in a way that reminded me of Mahomes. I wonder if some of the drops are cause the receivers were getting fastballs when they were used to change ups.

careful now. we have insufficient data to start comparing mayfield to mahomes. mayfield looked good, looked proficient, made some nice throws and made some poor throws. he certainly looked capable of doing what tyrod could not. but mahomes long-ball accuracy sets him apart from a QB who can simply complete passes. landry made some great grabs and missed an easy one. higgins looked better than callaway. duke was under-utilized. but none of these observations in mayfield's first game can be considered a trend.

giphy.gif

"Speaking after Thursday's win over the Jets, Browns coach Hue Jackson said he would have to "watch the tape" before naming his Week 4 starter. "

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13072/baker-mayfield

LMAO.   I get what he's trying to do but saying he needs to "watch the tape" makes him sounds stupid.   It's like he hasn't watched the games.

41 minutes ago, diverz4 said:

I didn't get a chance to watch the game but I did watch Mayfield's highlights after the game last night and I can pretty confidently say that at least a couple of his incompletions were due to the velocity of his throws.. even the near interception in the endzone wasn't caught because it seemed like it got up on the defender too fast for him to handle.  

19 minutes ago, K197040 said:

"Speaking after Thursday's win over the Jets, Browns coach Hue Jackson said he would have to "watch the tape" before naming his Week 4 starter. "

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13072/baker-mayfield

LMAO.   I get what he's trying to do but saying he needs to "watch the tape" makes him sounds stupid.   It's like he hasn't watched the games.

He says too much to the media when he doesnt need to which constantly puts him in a position to be undermined. He needs to say less and take lessons from hoodie on what not to say

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Mayfield got inserted halfway...Browns got their first win in 635 days.  The entire State celebrated and the entire City got free beer.  If Hue started Tyrod... and they lost...it could get very ugly 

dunno about fantasy value, but the guy was very exciting to watch. 

so decisive with his accurate lasers.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is Baker the only one on roto world with this light blue background....Also his picture looks like a DUI mug shot.