jtbgator

2018 Draft Strategy

There is no “right” draft strategy, nor should you enter a draft with a set in stone approach 

Sometimes they’ll be runs on WRs and the “rb rb Kelce” approach makes sense ... other times “wr wr” makes sense as people reach for RBs  ... 

Mine: best players available first 3 rounds then adjust accordingly. If that means 3 RBs or 3 WRs in a row, so be it. 

In the end, no matter how “good” you think you are at this BS - it’s going to come down to luck more often than not. 

I lost to a girl in a work league who still doesn’t understand how a “flex” position works or what PPR stands for. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

There is no “right” draft strategy, nor should you enter a draft with a set in stone approach 

Sometimes they’ll be runs on WRs and the “rb rb Kelce” approach makes sense ... other times “wr wr” makes sense as people reach for RBs  ... 

Mine: best players available first 3 rounds then adjust accordingly. If that means 3 RBs or 3 WRs in a row, so be it. 

In the end, no matter how “good” you think you are at this BS - it’s going to come down to luck more often than not. 

I lost to a girl in a work league who still doesn’t understand how a “flex” position works or what PPR stands for. 

Playoffs have a lot of luck for sure. But regular season much less so.

In one of leagues going on 10 years it is usually the same groups of people in and iut if the playoffs. Not a coincidence.

2 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Agree no right strategy, I typically do well going zero RB or a hybrid one RB and fill my bench with mostly RB's and concentrate waivers/or FAAB on RB's but some drafts you got to take what is given to you and that may be a RB-RB start or even RB-RB-RB etc...

11 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Not sure what your deal is. People are having a solid conversation about draft strategy. Add another to the ignore list.

Good luck.

srsly?

you claim to love A TON of "midtier" guys, then toss out eight, two (ARob/Edelman) of which aren't lasting past the fifth in 12 team ppr. 

let's delve further, shall we?

12 team, ppr, 16 rds 

first five rounds = 60 picks ... let's assume a draft with usual flow ...

out of that 60, let's say 4 QBs, 4 TEs ... that leaves 52 to divvy up between wr/rb.  

WRs, let's play -

AB

Nuk

OBJ

Keenan

MThomas

Julio

Adams

AJ

Evans

Baldwin

Hilton

Tyreek

Thielen

Marvin

Tate

ARob

Diggs

Coop

JuJu

Jeffrey

Edelman

Sammy

Crabby

those 23 should all be off the board by end of round 5 - and, again, imo, "midtier" starts in round  7.  

see i don't gather  much to love after that, in terms of starting caliber WRs.  a few, perhaps (Fuller/Parker/one of the SF duo)  but far from "a ton".

i allowed in my initial response that you may have not been verbatim, but you refuted that, then blagged on about semantics.  cute. 

farewell, have a fun season.

48 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Agree with this. Just gotta go according to draft flow. Heck, CSB...but in my 10 Team 1PPR, all teams will be stacked. So won't really matter anyway. I typically just stockpile RB's and WR's first few rounds, unless elite TE falls to me mid round. Then QB late and filler.

50 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

srsly?

you claim to love A TON of "midtier" guys, then toss out eight, two (ARob/Edelman) of which aren't lasting past the fifth in 12 team ppr. 

let's delve further, shall we?

12 team, ppr, 16 rds 

first five rounds = 60 picks ... let's assume a draft with usual flow ...

out of that 60, let's say 4 QBs, 4 TEs ... that leaves 52 to divvy up between wr/rb.  

WRs, let's play -

AB

Nuk

OBJ

Keenan

MThomas

Julio

Adams

AJ

Evans

Baldwin

Hilton

Tyreek

Thielen

Marvin

Tate

ARob

Diggs

Coop

JuJu

Jeffrey

Edelman

Sammy

Crabby

those 23 should all be off the board by end of round 5 - and, again, imo, "midtier" starts in round  7.  

see i don't gather  much to love after that, in terms of starting caliber WRs.  a few, perhaps (Fuller/Parker/one of the SF duo)  but far from "a ton".

i allowed in my initial response that you may have not been verbatim, but you refuted that, then blagged on about semantics.  cute. 

farewell, have a fun season.

couldn't edit this post, so ... toss Fitz and Cooks up into that above mix ... 25 WRs gone by end of rd. 5, imo.  

apply accordingly to above  post. 

3 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

couldn't edit this post, so ... toss Fitz and Cooks up into that above mix ... 25 WRs gone by end of rd. 5, imo.  

apply accordingly to above  post. 

DT too

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Agree with this. Just gotta go according to draft flow. Heck, CSB...but in my 10 Team 1PPR, all teams will be stacked. So won't really matter anyway. I typically just stockpile RB's and WR's first few rounds, unless elite TE falls to me mid round. Then QB late and filler.

I don't typically play in 10 teamers, but would probably just be going best player available all draft there.

7 minutes ago, turner46 said:

DT too

yes.  funny, he's been the giy i am targeting as my wr2, stunods that i left him out :blink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

a ton?

i keep seeing the same thought process up on this forum, and i call bullchit on it.  

the last viable WR i'd be ok with in my starting lineup is Watkins, and he's barely making it out the fifth lately.   maybe sixth round, but it's early sixth, if that.  

i will bag 2 solid starters by round 5, then ignore the position 'til the teens, and spec DeDe and Mike Williams.  i'd rather have a boatload of RBs than a bunch of weekly "4/36/0" WRs.  

so, again, plz elaborate on this "ton" of midtier ball grabbers ... 

So is your strategy that you need to get at least 2 RB and 2 WR in the first 5 rounds?  Or do you like the mid round RB's better?  If that's the case, can you elaborate on the mid-round RB's you're more comfortable with than mid-round WR's?

18 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

So is your strategy that you need to get at least 2 RB and 2 WR in the first 5 rounds?  Or do you like the mid round RB's better?  If that's the case, can you elaborate on the mid-round RB's you're more comfortable with than mid-round WR's?

yes, i said uptgread that one (i) needs to come out of round five with at least two of the 25 WRs mentioned.  

i'd much rather roll the likes of Dion/Duke/CT/CJA/RoJo/Freeman/Rex or Michel e.g.  out at flex over any of the leftover WRs ... now, that's why i specified rd. 5 as my wr cutoff - i am gonna mine RBs like a mofo after that.  will probably need to go QB in there as well, if it's Watson/St. Russel ... otherwise lay off QB 'til much later (Burton in the tenth is my TE target)  

ideal 16 man roster would be:

1 QB, 8 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 TE, 1K, 1 D

again, ymmv. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

Let's think outside of the fantasy box here for a second:

RB/TE/TE/WR/WR/RB/QB

If I can grab 2 of the top 3 TE's then I have a leg up on that position vs. the rest of my league (starting 1 in the flex who could score just as much as some of the WRs in that range)

I've got a stud RB1 and an RB2 from round 6 that has just as much of a chance of hitting as some of the ones going in round 3.

No top tier WR, so gotta have some luck there.

I'm not planning on doing this, but the thought crosses my mind while watching Gronk ball each year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beerfish said:

RB/TE/TE/WR/WR/RB/QB

If I can grab 2 of the top 3 TE's then I have a leg up on that position vs. the rest of my league (starting 1 in the flex who could score just as much as some of the WRs in that range)

I've got a stud RB1 and an RB2 from round 6 that has just as much of a chance of hitting as some of the ones going in round 3.

I'm not planning on doing this, but the thought crosses my mind while watching Gronk ball each year.

interesting, but you're more than likely gonna need to be in the 1-4  holes to execute that. 

1 minute ago, beerfish said:

RB/TE/TE/WR/WR/RB/QB

I wouldn't plan on doing it but I did it last year, took Gronk in rnd 2 and then tried everything I could to not take Kelce but took him in rnd 4 as my flex, TE insurance and possible trade bait. They both were on my team the whole season and they both helped win the championship. That said in my situation Kelce fell to where he very well could have been the best flex on the board and a great value because of position, I would do it again in rnd 2 and 4 with Gronk or 3 and 4 with the other 2, don't think I would do it in rnd 2 and 3 though.

44 minutes ago, beerfish said:

RB/TE/TE/WR/WR/RB/QB

Worst. Strategy. Ever.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 7:45 AM, jtbgator said:

I usually see this thread early on here but can't seem to find it. MODS, please combine threads if I'm repeating. 

I know we're a bit early but what are you guys seeing as far as mock drafts? Meaning, are RB's thin? WR's thin? Best to wait on QB since it appears as if QB's are pretty deep this year. I know last year, RB's options after 5th round or so were slim pickings and WR's were deep. Curious what you guys are seeing. Thanks for any input.

Big thing Ive been focusing on is not overpaying for boom/bust types.  Football is a week to week game, so the key to having a good season is to have consistent productivity, not 1 week as an WR1 then 3 straight weeks where you arent even performing at 2nd flex level.  Its the same at RB, QB, etc.  Both of my leagues are auctions, so the key is to really spend (maybe overspend) on those guys who do it week in week out.  Both of my leagues are keepers, so there is some inflation with some of those guys being gone too.  I will pay for a GREAT player or two, because honestly when you look at the say "number of weeks as an RB1 or an RB2 or neither" last year, after the first few studs, the numbers look very similar. 

If I am a top 5 pick I will almost certainly go RB/RB. Something like DJ + Mixon. However, outside of that it is a little more complicated. Hopkins and ODB are going in the second round often times and that is a bargain.

There is a lot of WRs going later that are very good. You have Evans, Gordon, Diggs, Hilton, Cooper, Robinson, and a few others going late. Yes, there are a lot of RBs going early that are way overvalued which leaves very good WRs. However, it also creates the issue that there are no RBs left. Going WR/WR leaves you with something like Ajayi and Collins as your RBs. No thank you.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

If I am a top 5 pick I will almost certainly go RB/RB. Something like DJ + Mixon. However, outside of that it is a little more complicated. Hopkins and ODB are going in the second round often times and that is a bargain.

There is a lot of WRs going later that are very good. You have Evans, Gordon, Diggs, Hilton, Cooper, Robinson, and a few others going late. Yes, there are a lot of RBs going early that are way overvalued which leaves very good WRs. However, it also creates the issue that there are no RBs left. Going WR/WR leaves you with something like Ajayi and Collins as your RBs. No thank you.

Never seen Nuk make it to the 2nd/ would not bank on it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Never seen Nuk make it to the 2nd/ would not bank on it.

I wouldn't bank on it either. Banking on anything in fantasy is a mistake. Even at 10 he is a very good pick.

5 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

That is wayyy to precise. The draft is a fluid situation. Don't see the point of mapping out picks like that.

Of course. But I like to have a graph to follow - it helps me make on-spot decisions when I'm between two players on the clock. 

Assume you have a pick between 6-8 in a 12 team league, .5 PPR.

What is your ideal (yet realistic given ADP) draft through 8 rounds or so given one of these middle draft slots?

QB - Andrew Luck (Round 9)

RB - Saquon Barkley (Round 1)

RB - Derrick Henry or Lamar Miller (Round 5)

WR - AJ Green (Round 2)

WR - T.Y. Hilton or Larry Fitz (Round 3)

TE - Trey Burton (Round 8)

FLEX - Allen Robinson or Golden Tate (Round 4)

BENCH - Royce Freeman (Round 6), Emmanuel Sanders (Round 7)

Thoughts on this team? Obvious weakness is the RB2 slot after going WR for three straight rounds. I guess I could have also gone with Darrius Guice, K. Drake, or Alex Collins in the 4th instead of a FLEX WR.

What is your ideal draft under similar criteria?

D.Watson 5

A.Kamara 1

D.Freeman 2

T.Hill 3

J.Gordon 4

K.Benjamin 9

D.Walker 7

T.Cohen 6, K.Cole 13, CJA 8

i know it looks unbelievable but it can happen. I've done it!

posted in another thread, but, i hold 7 hole in 12 team ppr - my favorite/best mock starts off 

Barkley

Adams

McKinnon

DT

Watson

Dion 

snagged Trey Burton in 10th, that's my TE target this season.   

will populate remaing slots with two more spec WRs (DeDe/MWilliams/Meredith types) and the rest will be all RBs (along with 1 K and 1 D, of course)  

if i get that start irl, i'll be one very happy mofo ...

Cam- 7

DJ(or Fournette)- 1

Howard-3

Julio-2

DT- 6

McCoy-4

Jgraham-5

• Like 1

Ideal approaches in PPR would look something similar to this (8th spot):

Strategy 1 (WR Heavy early) :
QB - No QB until at least round 9/10 (Luck?/Mahomes?)

RB - Henry (4)

RB - R. Jones (5)

RB - Guice (6)

RB - Kerryon Johnson (7)

RB - Mack/Cobb (8)

WR - Brown (1)

WR - Allen (2)

WR - Mike Evans (3)

TE - No TE until at least round 9/10 (Trey Burton?)

Brown has fallen to this spot at least three times for me in the last 10 or so days. If not, just interchange him with Hopkins. Luck and Mahomes offer top 5 upside at a cheaper price than a Brees, Watson, Wilson, and Wentz. Mack can be replaced with Randall Cobb in round 8. While people are rounding out their team at QB/TE and even prob taking a DEF in middle rounds, Im stacking at RB and WR. Still great value in 9-11 at QB/TE. I play in flex leagues with 1-2 flex spots.

Edited by nonstopfan