NYR Fan 116894

Rishard Matthews 2018 Outlook

9 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

How to spot the Rishard owner...

Haha you didn't deny being a Taywan owner. I have no redraft shares of Matthews, and sold him in dynasty.

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I picked Matthews up off waivers this morning when I saw his extension news. I hope Taywan gets suspended for something

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Haha you didn't deny being a Taywan owner. I have no redraft shares of Matthews, and sold him in dynasty.

I am a billionaire and my wife is a supermodel.  

2 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I am a billionaire and my wife is a supermodel.  

Hi Donald

4 hours ago, owenmills said:

Not sure what to make of the news/blurb this morning about his extension, but it looks like the guy may be 100% healthy and was just holding out. He may be sitting on waiver wires in leagues that already drafted, free WR depth. 

He was on the Physically unable to Perform list..... really odd for a holdout and perhaps illegal.  Strange situation.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He was on the Physically unable to Perform list..... really odd for a holdout and perhaps illegal.  Strange situation.

I mean, dude is technically physically unable to perform if he's not willing to step on the field in the first place. His injury was strictly financial--no different than a toe or a hammy though in that it prevented him from physically performing his duties on the field (at least if you ask Rishard).

I wouldn't mind him staying on PUP for at least another 24 hours after waivers process and I can sneak him onto my roster. Fits onto an IR slot right now in Yahoo leagues...

WOW, I feel like an idiot for not drafting him late now. Guy was the most productive WR on the roster last season easily

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's definitely an odd situation. The NFL won't look kindly on them using the PUP on him if it was solely a hold-out, if they can actually determine that's what happened. But the contract would make it seem like it's definitely not a serious injury, if any injury at all. Will be very interesting to see how quickly he gets back on the field now. 

So he’s been mysteriously on the PUP, takes a completely player-unfriendly deal and people are psyched? 

May regret it but this is a weird scenario I rather avoid.

18 minutes ago, kidsgotsoul said:

So he’s been mysteriously on the PUP, takes a completely player-unfriendly deal and people are psyched? 

Took him in a dynasty startup before we even knew about the injury and I can certainly say I’m not “psyched” about the situation at all.  But it is a bit of a relief that he may at least see the field soon.

These players trying to negotiate their own deals are idiots, in my opinion.  

I do believe Rishard Matthews has developed into a good receiver who should at least provide some production wherever he ends up playing.  

1 hour ago, Beerdown said:

Took him in a dynasty startup before we even knew about the injury and I can certainly say I’m not “psyched” about the situation at all.  But it is a bit of a relief that he may at least see the field soon.

These players trying to negotiate their own deals are idiots, in my opinion.  

I do believe Rishard Matthews has developed into a good receiver who should at least provide some production wherever he ends up playing.  

He's basically been the Titans best WR the past 2 years. Last year he was banged up but in 2016 he went 65-945-9. If this unknown injury clears up you'll get more than 'some' production. Even if Corey Davis ascends into the WR1 spot in Tennessee they're expected to throw the ball a lot this year so there's lots of stats to go around.

I wouldn't reach for him or anything, but with the injury he should be cheap or free in most leagues. 

2 hours ago, kidsgotsoul said:

How so? Nearly $8mm for a role player seems like pretty good coin to me

4 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

How so? Nearly $8mm for a role player seems like pretty good coin to me

It's a team option.... no guaranteed money at all.  Basically the Titans kept his rights for nothing.  It's an incredibly strange deal.

Here's Jim Wyatt's latest with Vrabel's quotes.  There's still a ton of vagueness there.  He hopes he'll be back soon but doesn't give any time line so take "shortly" as you will.  He can't be in pads because of PUP rules but he hasn't been working out or running on the side either, just watching.  Strange.  Evan Silva speculated he's hurt and the contract was a way of keeping Matthews in the fold for next year while they pay him this season (5 million) but that would be odd as well.  The Titans won't disclose what's wrong with him so it seems it's something rare for a ball player.  

https://www.titansonline.com/news/three-quick-hits-from-titans-practice-including-an-update-on-rishard-matthews?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

“We feel good about his work, and where he’s at,” Vrabel said of Matthews. “And obviously he’s put a lot of time in to try and get himself ready for the season. So hopefully we can see him back shortly, when he’s ready.”

Over the past two seasons, Matthews has led the team with 1,740 receiving yards and 13 touchdown receptions, and he’s ranked second on the team behind tight end Delanie Walker with 118 catches. His 14.7 yards per reception average ranks ninth among all NFL players with at least 100 receptions during that time.

Vrabel said he’s been a good influence for the team’s younger receivers.

When he’s cleared, he’ll have to work his way back into practices.

“You have to get in football shape, put pads on and stuff like that,” Vrabel said. “With the (PUP) rules, you can’t wear pads or a helmet now while he’s on PUP. We’re just trying to work him back with the trainers.

• Thanks 1

No guaranteed money but includes a ton of new money in roster bonuses, incentives, and performance escalators according to the ESPN article. So...is he betting on himself? 

6 minutes ago, owenmills said:

No guaranteed money but includes a ton of new money in roster bonuses, incentives, and performance escalators according to the ESPN article. So...is he betting on himself? 

He got guaranteed money on his last contract.  It wasn't much comparatively (5 million) but it's what guys play for.  Up until this year, he had done nothing but out play his contract.  He should have gotten more guarantees.  He'll also be 30 next year..... 

Something about the Titans is throwing up all sorts of flags.  I am not buying Vrabel, yet.  I am not buying Mariota, yet.  I am not buying the RB duo of Henry and Lewis, yet.  I am not buying Corey Davis as the savior WR, yet.  I am not buying anything Titans....avoiding all things Titans.

I can't put my finger on it yet.

Edited by dudewithabadcat

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He got guaranteed money on his last contract.  It wasn't much comparatively (5 million) but it's what guys play for.  Up until this year, he had done nothing but out play his contract.  He should have gotten more guarantees.  He'll also be 30 next year..... 

I'm not saying it's a good contract, but Field Yates initial tweet about it left out the performance incentives. If anything it makes it a stranger contract for him to sign since he's on PUP with a mysterious injury they won't disclose. 

Could be a great value if all this ends up being smoke screen for his contract holdout.

Titans coach Mike Vrabel said Rishard Matthews (undisclosed, active/PUP) is close to returning to practice.

"We feel good about where he’s at," said Vrabel. "He's put a lot of time in to try and get himself ready for the season. So hopefully we can see him back shortly." The Titans felt good enough about Matthews' health to give him a one-year extension. He's not going to play in the third preseason game, but Matthews is on track for Week 1.

22 hours ago, JEREMY LIN said:

Is this guy must own now?

i'd say he's worth  a shot later in drafts. That depth chart is thin beyond Taylor/Davis, so i think they need Matthews to contribute.  I've thought he's shown well at times when healthy.  May take some patience but he's a nice bench stash that could be a nice plug and play

What’s the deal here? He’s a full go across from Davis right? Landed him at 158 and feeling really good about it. Seems like a reliable FLEX to me