Sign in to follow this  
CooL

Matt Breida 2018 Outlook

According to Grant Cohn of The Press Democrat, Matt Breida has been a standout through the first three days of training camp.

Cohn heaped praise on the second-year back, going as far as to call him the "best running back on the team." The Niners beat reporter went on to laud his consistency, noting that Breida "runs harder than everyone else." The 49ers paid Jerick McKinnon like a workhorse this offseason, though if Breida continues to impress in camp, he could play a larger role than expected. He's worth stashing as a handcuff in all fantasy formats.

Jul 29 - 9:27 AM

I'm surprised that this guy doesn't have a thread yet.

What are the chances that he becomes the Tevin Coleman to Jerrick Mckinnon's Devonta Freeman?  It's hard to find rosterable RBs when you get into the later rounds of drafts, but Breida hopefully will have a role other than just a handcuff.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CooL said:

I'm surprised that this guy doesn't have a thread yet.

What are the chances that he becomes the Tevin Coleman to Jerrick Mckinnon's Devonta Freeman?  It's hard to find rosterable RBs when you get into the later rounds of drafts, but Breida hopefully will have a role other than just a handcuff.

As someone who traded him away in a dynasty league this offseason (to the McKinnon owner), I still think he has some deep sleeper PPR appeal. I'm not sold on McKinnon holding up as a volume RB, and after him, it's Breida, Williams, and McNichols (if he even makes the team). 

I put Breida in the same category as guys like Eckeler, Clement, Prosise, Dixon, etc. All young guys that could carve out pass catching roles, but also have the talent to do more if the opportunity arises. 

• Like 1

You figure they line mcKinnon up as WR at times and could roll with two backs.

Plus

Breida may prove to be a sneaky good short yardage guy.  

Further

I'm down.

The "true" value with Breida and then Joe Williams, and on down the line in the SF backfield is as McKinnon's hand-cuff(s). Personally, I don't think I'd draft any of the non-starter RBs on the SF roster unless I had McKinnon, but I'd understand the dart throw at the end of a draft.

10 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

at 5' 9" 190 and a shoulder injury of his own......hmmmm

injury that is healed for week 1? he's better than Morris.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

injury that is healed for week 1? he's better than Morris.

Matt Breida (shoulder) has been cleared to practice.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

at 5' 9" 190 and a shoulder injury of his own......hmmmm

Pretty sure he’s 200. Either way Clinton Portis, Barry Sanders, Tiki Barber were all wildly successful at a similar stature.

Remains to be seen (a) severity of mckinnon injury and (b) how touches shake out, but he’s a great speculative add if for whatever reason he’s available. He was drafted in a lot of leagues though, obviously.

Alfred Morris is the definition of JAG.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

Niner fan here, this is a tough call. I think both guys will see plenty of touches if McKinnon is done for the year. I can see a 60-40 type split load with Alf getting early down work and Breida seeing third down, passing down and two minute drill work, plus the occasional series.

Alf looked fantastic in the third preseason game, he really had full command of their blocking scheme. I’d pick Alf over Breida initially but I believe both will have value in this offense fantasy football wise. 

Can see an RBBC definitely forming in this backfield. Think AlfMo is the guy to own imo

Breida isn't great in the pass game but he's better than Morris which makes me think he's the guy to own. Morris was just a warm camp body this morning. 

ppr it's a wash between Breida and Morris. Standard Morris all day. Anyone who is delusional enough to think Breida can be a cow is well....delusional 

27 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

ppr it's a wash between Breida and Morris. Standard Morris all day. Anyone who is delusional enough to think Breida can be a cow is well....delusional 

Anyone who is ignorant enough to think Kyle Shanahan has ever used or planned this year to use a bell cow is... Ignorant. 

• Like 1

I'm in on breida... added him in one league count me as ignorant cause McKinnon was getting paid bell cow money... and now the cow is breida...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kingjames02392 said:

Okay add for anyone who missed on Morris

Morris is an okay add for anyone that missed on Breida.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Anyone who is ignorant enough to think Kyle Shanahan has ever used or planned this year to use a bell cow is... Ignorant. 

What about last year, when Carlos Hyde was Kyle Shanahan's Bell Cow? 299 touches, 7th highest in the league.

My choice from a 'football' perspective would be Breida, for one reason and only one reason;

I think Carlos Hyde is significantly more talented than Breida, and last year, they kept trying to bench Hyde to get Breida on the field, they talked about it all offseason, and it continued deep into the regular season.  They clearly seem to like him.  Morris is solid, and maybe he outplays him just like Hyde did, but this team has made it rather clear they're in love with Breida, so I assume they give him every chance they can until he proves them wrong, or Alf Morris forces the issue.

Likely an ugly guessing game every week.  Wasn't touching this backfield when McKinnon was the back, would take a free add of Breida or Morris off FA, but it's likely going to be ugly quick and often.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hard1 said:

I'm in on breida... added him in one league count me as ignorant cause McKinnon was getting paid bell cow money... and now the cow is Morris...

Just now, Gohawks said:

Breida is an okay add for anyone that missed on Morris.

Fixed those both for you, even though I started this thread... :)

you guys can talk yourselves into breida all you want, but in standard leagues morris is clearly the target. breida is way too small for significant carries. 

43 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Breida isn't great in the pass game but he's better than Morris which makes me think he's the guy to own. Morris was just a warm camp body this morning. 

From a scouting report on Breida:

"Solid pass catcher out of the backfield who adjusts to the errant throw and extends his hands to snatch the pass from the air. Makes the difficult catch in contorted positions."

also remember that Hyde went from 50 career catches to 59 just last season in this offense. Not suggesting Breida will get the same chances but Breida is a better pass catcher than Hyde so the chance to break out is real.

4 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

What about last year, when Carlos Hyde was Kyle Shanahan's Bell Cow? 299 touches, 7th highest in the league.

My choice from a 'football' perspective would be Breida, for one reason and only one reason;

I think Carlos Hyde is significantly more talented than Breida, and last year, they kept trying to bench Hyde to get Breida on the field, they talked about it all offseason, and it continued deep into the regular season.  They clearly seem to like him.  Morris is solid, and maybe he outplays him just like Hyde did, but this team has made it rather clear they're in love with Breida, so I assume they give him every chance they can until he proves them wrong, or Alf Morris forces the issue.

Likely an ugly guessing game every week.  Wasn't touching this backfield when McKinnon was the back, would take a free add of Breida or Morris off FA, but it's likely going to be ugly quick and often.

Yup...as a Hyde owner last year, it pissed me off how much work Breida would get, and the coaching staff was always talking him up. Breida was pretty efficient last year too and surprisingly finished as the standard RB43.