Sign in to follow this  
CooL

Matt Breida 2018 Outlook

20 minutes ago, mmm sod said:

You realize Wilson had a terrible fumble early on and was essentially benched until Breida got hurt?

edit: nm I see you do.  Wilson is a literal guy off the street.  Breida is an elite athlete running 6 YP:C this year.

You seem pretty biased calling Wilson a "reliable runner" but acting like Breida is a JAG.  Breida is actually a stud with a bum ankle.  No not Saquan stud, but how many are those?  Point is there is a huge talent leap between Breida and Wilson.  Don't let the volume box scores fool you.

With all that said, I wouldn't start Breida even if he is a full go

I'm not at all sure where I implied that Breida is just another guy.  Perhaps you can enlighten me on that.  In the mean time, I'll say that Breida is really good, but I don't believe he's a "stud".  He's running behind a top 5 OL which is also why Wilson, who is a "literal guy off the street", can come in and prove to be productive too (aside from his fumble yesterday).  You may not realize this, and I know draft pedigree isn't everything, but both Wilson and Breida are undrafted free agents and they share a very similar frame - so the perceived "talent" difference may not be quite as drastic as you believe.  As you said, "don't let the volume box scores fool you".  I'm by no means saying Breida is awful, but I believe he's not quite good enough to call him a stud.  Nor am I saying Wilson is amazing and is nipping at the heels of Breida for the starting job, but he is a solid runner for them and he's only played 4 games in the NFL compared to Breida's 29.  That being said, I completely agree there's a bit of a gap in talent but a much bigger gap in experience.  Breida's a warrior though, that's for damn sure, playing as much as he has through his ankle injury - huge props for that.

After a re-aggravation and the Bears coming to town, this feels like kind of a no-brainer sit Breida situation.

Edited by Bryce84

Bears are pretty good against the run, correct?  I am probably going to seek other options this week.  I am also curious to see if Breida practices or not.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Bears are pretty good against the run, correct?  I am probably going to seek other options this week.  I am also curious to see if Breida practices or not.

The Bears allow 2nd fewest rushing yards per game in 83.6, the 5th lowest yards per carry in 3.8 and allowed only 5 rushing TDs all season, lowest in the league (all but 7 teams have allowed at least 10). Mix in Breida aggravating his ankle late last game, Jeff Wilson looking good (fumble aside) and I'm definitely looking at other options after flexing Breida this past week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bears have probably the best defense in the NFL. 

This is a bad match up though I could see a bit of let down with having clinched the NFC North last week (I know they could still conceivably get a bye).

Breida's injury likelihood is higher than some other comparable options, he already submarined me once this year, not gonna happen here, ya hear?

Yeah, I am thinking to leave Breida benched this week.  Maybe if all other options look poor, I will throw Breida in and pray for one long, flukey TD run.

47 minutes ago, esoomer said:

Breida's injury likelihood is higher than some other comparable options, he already submarined me once this year, not gonna happen here, ya hear?

I HEAR YA

Welp.  Breida made it through three limited practices.  And the Forty Niners say he is going to play.  Do we dare start him?  Against the Bears?  The Bears have been run on a bit the last few games...what to do...

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Welp.  Breida made it through three limited practices.  And the Forty Niners say he is going to play.  Do we dare start him?  Against the Bears?  The Bears have been run on a bit the last few games...what to do...

Do u believe in Shanny?   Could see Breida ripping some chunks off in the passing game.    

43 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Do u believe in Shanny?   Could see Breida ripping some chunks off in the passing game.    

Yes.  But I am not sure I believe in Breida's ankle.

I have to choose between Breida and the Rams fiasco if Gurley sits. I have Kelly but now they saying CJ starting. Probably rolling gimpy out tomorrow. What a disaster

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JG1222016 said:

I have to choose between Breida and the Rams fiasco if Gurley sits. I have Kelly but now they saying CJ starting. Probably rolling gimpy out tomorrow. What a disaster

Can’t deny the risk, both in quality of opponent and Breidas balky ankle.  

But.....it might be allright. Shanny takes these kinds of matchups as a challenge.    I still have that 2017 late season dismantling of the dominant Jags D in my head.    And the Bears leakiest D performances have been on the road.   If Breida is on the field he’ll dominant the backfield touches.  

Credit @Rolling Thunder for this analysis.   Good stuff as always man- thank you.  

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

I have to admit, I am warming up to the idea.  Niners-Jags in 2017 is an excellent analogy.

When was the last time he was completely taken off the injury report like he was today? How is he not on that report??? Limited all week 

1 hour ago, JG1222016 said:

Same!!! It's either Breida or CJ or Kelly for me too. Going crazy trying to decide!

32 minutes ago, JG1222016 said:

When was the last time he was completely taken off the injury report like he was today? How is he not on that report??? Limited all week 

I can field this one.  The last time Breida was taken completely off the injury report was before the first Seattle game, in Seattle.  The Breida proceeded to get hurt during warmups, but no one said anything, then the game started and he was just standing on the sidelines.

• Like 1

Is he Agent Smith from the Matrix? Daffy Duck getting his face blown off by Elmer Fudd and coming back for more? I mean what is happening?