Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

7 minutes ago, bgbg22 said:

My guess and heavy favorite has got to be Streckenrider at this point.

I agree but I don't have a ton of confidence that he's going to return a lot of value. He's been better than Barraclough but in his 4 SVOs this year he's blown 3 of them. I had the option to get him after dropping Barraclough but decided to stay away for sake of my ratios. It could come back to bite me and he could be good in the role. We'l just have to see but for my particular situation I didn't feel like the juice was worth the squeeze.

17 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Confirmed:

Picked him (Madson) up in one of my two leagues.  How confident should we be in him?

So will we see Francona come right out and name Hand the official closer, or will it just become obvious through eventual usage? 

Sadly, he had pitched six consecutive scoreless innings with only six baserunners before last night. Is it possible that only pitching one game in August had something to do with last night's dud? I doubt it, but I guess it's possible. 

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So will we see Francona come right out and name Hand the official closer, or will it just become obvious through eventual usage? 

Sadly, he had pitched six consecutive scoreless innings with only six baserunners before last night. Is it possible that only pitching one game in August had something to do with last night's dud? I doubt it, but I guess it's possible. 

Cody Allen-

1st half K/9- 10.94

2nd half K/9- 6.23

Even if he had a couple scoreless outings, he’s not striking guys out as much. 

Unfortunately I think Allen has a dead arm based on usage. Francona has abused him this year with Miller being out/ineffective for so long. 

Allen already has 11 appearances this season where he has pitched more than an inning. For reference, he had 7 such appearances all of 2017. This is not how you handle a closer.

14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Cody Allen-

1st half K/9- 10.94

2nd half K/9- 6.23

Even if he had a couple scoreless outings, he’s not striking guys out as much. 

Unfortunately I think Allen has a dead arm based on usage. Francona has abused him this year with Miller being out/ineffective for so long. 

Allen already has 11 appearances this season where he has pitched more than an inning. For reference, he had 7 such appearances all of 2017. This is not how you handle a closer.

This this this this this. 

Did I say this? 

Dude is smoked.  Given where they are in the standings they'd be better served DLing him and letting him get right for the playoffs.  Because the Indians best chance to win this year is their pitching.   They'll have the second best starting staff in the AL playoffs so they are capable of winning games 2-1, 3-2 BUT Miller, Hand, and Allen MUST be lockdown.

Madson is pretty bad.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him yanked from the role sooner than later.

3 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Madson is pretty bad.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him yanked from the role sooner than later.

While not a save situation, certainly wasn’t a good first time out after being named.

33 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Who's next?

That Nats pen looks pretty ugly.

Glover? But didn't he fail last year? or was that 2016?

4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Nope, I can't see him doing that.  It would take several blown saves in a row for him to make Hand the full-time closer, as even though Hand is the superior pitcher at this point in the season, Allen is still one of his guys.

I'd be fine if he did give it to Hand (somewhat perk of owning both of them), although that would obviously mean a meltdown by Allen would have caused it.  The main issues for Allen are the walks and the HRs.  He's already well above his usual pace in both of them.  Hopefully he can work through this.  Otherwise, I agree that he should be put on the DL to rest and get right again.  Hand is one of the best closers in baseball, so they wouldn't really lose anything.  They could just trade for another right handed setup man if they wanted to, as there are still plenty of them out there since a lot of ones didn't get traded at the deadline.

i hope so! I already have Jefferies as a handcuff and would rather drop knebel. He not the same pitcher as last year

Well..........atleast he didn't take the Blown Save, left that for Soria. And I believe Knebel gets a hold!

1 minute ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Soria injured.

Probably whiplash watching that HR go out of the stadium.

that's what the Brewers get for burning out their bullpen instead of getting more SP.

25 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

Well..........atleast he didn't take the Blown Save, left that for Soria. And I believe Knebel gets a hold!

nope knebel gets the loss

16 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

that's what the Brewers get for burning out their bullpen instead of getting more SP.

Fair point, although they have so many quality guys that it shouldn't be burnt out.  Still, they should have gotten another SP.

I have a hard time believing Knebel gets the next save opportunity now, but obviously Soria won't either if the injury is anything of note.  I've always supported Knebel as the closer, but it's at least getting damn close to time to try Jeffress or their Andrew Miller.

5 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

Yeah I know that. Didn’t get a hold either. Have to record atleast 1 out. 

Knebel the kbum

44 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

He could actually get both, which is pretty ridiculous. MLB should rethink that situation. 

So, in other words he has no idea what he's going to do the next time there is a save opportunity.  It's hard to think anything but that given that he said two completely different things after the game.