Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

So, in other words he has no idea what he's going to do the next time there is a save opportunity.  It's hard to think anything but that given that he said two completely different things after the game.

It seemed pretty clear to me actually.

That they'll give him a lower leverage outing next time out but ideally he wants Knebel as the closer.  How long that takes is up to Knebel.

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

who is the pick up in minnesota??

Picked up Hildenberger, but he’s been bad. Does he get the first shot?

3 hours ago, Braves16 said:

He could actually get both, which is pretty ridiculous. MLB should rethink that situation. 

It's still not an official stat so not sure how MLB actually looks at a hold.  I've seen guys get both a hold and win as well...

What happened to Rodney?

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

What happened to Rodney?

Traded to Oakland 

Thanks - could it be Reed?

Just now, fingy said:

Is treinen still the closer?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, fingy said:

Is treinen still the closer?

Treinen is a top 3 closer this season. Rodney was one of the worst. 

What’s the story with Taylor Rogers? Has he been used in high leverage situations this year? Do we really think they’ll put him ahead of Hildenberger and Reed? Those two have been miserable lately especially Hildenberger. 

They traded Rodney at the right time - one save away from triggering $300K bonus

Hildenberger has been bad lately but fwiw .436 babip last month. I'm gonna guess he gets the first shot. But I sure as hell don't feel good about it

Looking at recent usage it looks like Rogers has been used both before and after Hildenberger in the 7th and 8th innings. During Hildenbergers recent crap storm Rogers hasn’t given up a run. He’s gone 4.1 IP over the last week with 0 era and whip as well as 8ks. I just added him. Rather take the shot on him then get Hildenberger or Reed at the cost of my ratios. 

I'd take a chance on Rogers before adding either Hildenberger or Reed. I like my ratios too much to put a torch to them for the sake of spec saves. 

Athletics acquired RHP Fernando Rodney from the Twins in exchange for RHP Dakota Chalmers.

In Oakland, he'll work in a setup role ahead of closer Blake Treinen.

With Rodney gone, the Twins will likely turn to Addison Reed in the ninth inning.
Aug 9 - 10:16 PM

7 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

What’s the story with Taylor Rogers? Has he been used in high leverage situations this year? Do we really think they’ll put him ahead of Hildenberger and Reed? Those two have been miserable lately especially Hildenberger. 

Situational lefty. His numbers vs. R aren't very good (.824 OPS allowed). He could pick up the odd save when there's a bunch of lefties due up but I doubt they'd just make him closer.

1 minute ago, MonsterMan said:

Athletics acquired RHP Fernando Rodney from the Twins in exchange for RHP Dakota Chalmers.

In Oakland, he'll work in a setup role ahead of closer Blake Treinen.

With Rodney gone, the Twins will likely turn to Addison Reed in the ninth inning.
Aug 9 - 10:16 PM

Addison Reed just returned from an elbow impingement july 30th and has a 1.42 whip for the year seems odd to call him the likely closer. 

Rogers is third in the pick up order so far on Yahoo.  Oh well 

4 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Addison Reed just returned from an elbow impingement july 30th and has a 1.42 whip for the year seems odd to call him the likely closer. 

Then again, Rodney had a 1.40 whip, so there's a precedent here, lol.