Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, ragrag said:

How is Greg Holland still being paid to pitch?

 

How can a manager who would put this guy in a high-leverage spot be paid to manage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RotoGenius said:

 

How can a manager who would put this guy in a high-leverage spot be paid to manage? 

 

Methinks Davey is not long for his job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

 

How can a manager who would put this guy in a high-leverage spot be paid to manage? 

 

Bottom of the 7th w/ a guy on 1st, is that high-leverage?

 

What's the point of having an arm you can only run out there when you have an 5+ run lead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ragrag said:

 

Bottom of the 7th w/ a guy on 1st, is that high-leverage?

 

What's the point of having an arm you can only run out there when you have an 5+ run lead

 

In a time game, yes, yes it is!

 

As far as the point of rostering Greg Holland, philosophers have been trying to make sense of that for centuries, only to end up stark, raving mad....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else mix up justin wilson and justin miller? I thought wilson the lefty is the one in WAS and the righty miller is the one in CHC...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic on the recent stuff with Jansen and The twins - but has anyone heard any recent news on Morrow? Is he even close to returning for the Cubs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

Off topic on the recent stuff with Jansen and The twins - but has anyone heard any recent news on Morrow? Is he even close to returning for the Cubs? 

 

I heard a couple of weeks still 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

Off topic on the recent stuff with Jansen and The twins - but has anyone heard any recent news on Morrow? Is he even close to returning for the Cubs? 

 

He hasn't thrown off a mound yet, and has no clear timetable. It looks like recovery is moving slowly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

I don't know if Alexander would be a long term answer for the Dodgers.  Raw numbers there are not impressive - does he really have closer stuff?  What closers could they still trade for?  Move one of their starters to close - like Buehler. 

 

7 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

Apparently Maeda may close some games.

 

 

 

I agree with @Baseball Jonze

 

I'd move Buehler to the bullpen and let him close.

 

I think buehler's stuff plays better than Maeda's as a closer.  Plus,  they've been concerned about his workload this year.   Two problems solved.

 

Maeda may still end up in the bullpen anyway with Ryu returning soon. 

 

Had the Kenley incident happened 24 hours earlier I'd bet money Rodney would be a Dodger right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

 

 

I agree with @Baseball Jonze

 

I'd move Buehler to the bullpen and let him close.

 

I think buehler's stuff plays better than Maeda's as a closer.  Plus,  they've been concerned about his workload this year.   Two problems solved.

 

Maeda may still end up in the bullpen anyway with Ryu returning soon. 

 

Had the Kenley incident happened 24 hours earlier I'd bet money Rodney would be a Dodger right now. 

You make a valid point or two, but I don't see them taking their 2nd best starter out of the rotation.  Even at this point, I'd put him ahead of everybody else in their rotation not named Kershaw.

 

They always want to move Maeda to the bullpen, and he'd definitely be intriguing in closer's role, so I'm in agreement with Andy McCullough about the idea of him closing.  That is if they don't go out and trade for somebody else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Alvarez in for the save opp for the Angels

Parker with the save. Three relievers in one inning, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Parker with the save. Three relievers in one inning, lol. 

I was just at the game. Pretty ridiculous to use three arms for three outs. I guess they really want to stand by the committee approach lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

Ottavino on to close it for the Rockies.

There's been surprisingly little talk (not just on here) about Col particularly for a team in the playoff hunt and considering how good Ottavino is and how awful Davis has been.  Not to mention that the team gets lots of save chances.

 

Has anyone seen anything even close to defining the situation there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jr461 said:

There's been surprisingly little talk (not just on here) about Col particularly for a team in the playoff hunt and considering how good Ottavino is and how awful Davis has been.  Not to mention that the team gets lots of save chances.

 

Has anyone seen anything even close to defining the situation there?

 

Nothing defining to be found yet. Davis says he’s found his mechanical flaw that’s been causing issues for him but we’ll have to see if he can correct it. He was getting last night off after his disaster on Thursday so Ottavino getting the save doesn’t tell us anything other than he’s next in line which we already knew. If Davis blows his next save opp I think they make the change but if he comes back and fires off a couple scoreless saves he’ll buy himself some more leash. Regardless, if anyone is in a league where saves matter and Ottavino is on the wire you should go get him now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the possible closers popping up for down the stretch, is there any reason to hold Giles unless you are just very, very desperate?

 

I have watched him extensively and he is just not good anymore, at all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Monkeyman74 said:

With all the possible closers popping up for down the stretch, is there any reason to hold Giles unless you are just very, very desperate?

 

I have watched him extensively and he is just not good anymore, at all!

I think so. His velocity is still elite, he’s still getting the same amount of swings and misses as previous years, and his BABIP is .382 right now. I’m still holding but in shallow leagues where closers are still floating around on the waiver wire I could see moving on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jr461 said:

There's been surprisingly little talk (not just on here) about Col particularly for a team in the playoff hunt and considering how good Ottavino is and how awful Davis has been.  Not to mention that the team gets lots of save chances.

 

Has anyone seen anything even close to defining the situation there?

I think the traffic here starts dying down towards the end of the season when guys who are out of playoff contention stop visiting, or have moved on to football.

 

Because Ottavino would have gotten multiple pages a few months ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

 

Then 2 k’s and the save

He gave up a walk and a single and hit a batter.  Didn’t exactly inspire confidence in his command but it was raining pretty hard which I’m sure didn’t help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Hide the women and kids , the Hindenburg explosion is underway

 

A-Bomb level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.