Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

Ottavino sure doesn’t seem to want the job. Doesn’t look great in save situations.

Cody Allen picked up his 2nd save today. Still don’t like his ROS outlook, but it’s something.

9 minutes ago, David Aames said:

anyone care to rank these guys:

jeffries

ottavino

wade davis

Davis

Jeffress

Ottavino

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Ottavino sure doesn’t seem to want the job. Doesn’t look great in save situations.

Cody Allen picked up his 2nd save today. Still don’t like his ROS outlook, but it’s something.

Hand pitched 1.2 innings last night so makes sense for Allen to get the save chance. Luckily (and not so luckily) I got both players but in a weekly league. Hopefully we’ll have a concrete answer as to who’s closing come fantasy playoff time.

Do we know if Leclerc or Yates have been put through waivers and if they cleared them?  I know it was reported that a handful of Tigers were bulk waived right after the deadline and all made it through.  

15 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Do we know if Leclerc or Yates have been put through waivers and if they cleared them?  I know it was reported that a handful of Tigers were bulk waived right after the deadline and all made it through.  

Both of those guys have low salaries and wouldn’t have made it through waivers without being claimed. Normally medium-high salary players or bad players are the ones who clear waivers

How likely do you guys think Barraclough comes back from this DL stint back to normal?

Anyone have any insight into the situation?

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Yes, Osuna cost then the game. However as I said they would not even be in that position if Rondon did his job

Neither pitcher did his job. It's that simple. Sure, if Rondon had gotten the save, Osuna wouldn't have had the opportunity to lose the game, but the fact is that Osuna failed to do his job and did lose the game. It's not Rondon's fault that Osuna gave up two hits and a run.

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Not disputing that. Rondon is the closer. He has a few more games like today, he won't be. That's all

And if Osuna has a few more games like today, he won't be the one taking the job from Rondon. That's all. 

1 hour ago, Yanks598 said:

Hand pitched 1.2 innings last night so makes sense for Allen to get the save chance. Luckily (and not so luckily) I got both players but in a weekly league. Hopefully we’ll have a concrete answer as to who’s closing come fantasy playoff time.

Yes, but Allen is the one who got the save chance last night AND tonight. The situation is unclear, to say the least. 

7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yes, but Allen is the one who got the save chance last night AND tonight. The situation is unclear, to say the least. 

The situation is pretty clear.  I'm not going to post a source as my source is the Cleveland Indians' broadcast, but who gets the save opportunity will largely be dictated by who is coming up in the 8th and the 9th.  I'm not sure Hand would have been available today regardless, but in regular cases if there are multiple lefties in the 8th due up and then righties due up in the 9th, then it will be Hand in the 8th and Allen in the 9th.  You get the idea if the situation is reversed.

3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

The situation is pretty clear.  I'm not going to post a source as my source is the Cleveland Indians' broadcast, but who gets the save opportunity will largely be dictated by who is coming up in the 8th and the 9th.  I'm not sure Hand would have been available today regardless, but in regular cases if there are multiple lefties in the 8th due up and then righties due up in the 9th, then it will be Hand in the 8th and Allen in the 9th.  You get the idea if the situation is reversed.

To me, that doesn't clear up the situation. That just complicates it even more. Any 8th inning could have multiple lefties in it...same with the 9th. Just my opinion. 

50 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

To me, that doesn't clear up the situation. That just complicates it even more. Any 8th inning could have multiple lefties in it...same with the 9th. Just my opinion. 

I meant that it's pretty clear how they are going to be used and who's going to get the save opportunities once it gets to the late innings of each individual game.  If you are following the game and you see who is due up, then it will likely be who you think it will be based on who's due up.  No, one guy is not going to get all of the save opportunities and you won't know for sure if Hand is going to get a save opportunity going into a week, but how things are likely to go in each game based on the situation is laid out pretty clearly.

No, it's not an ideal situation and I can understand it being a little confusing at first, but it should be pretty well known by now that it's a committee between Allen and Hand based on the people due up in the late innings.

Poor madson owners lol

2 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

To be fair the inning should have been over 

Didn't see the inning - are you referring to the infield single?

1 minute ago, castaway98 said:

Didn't see the inning - are you referring to the infield single?

Yes it easily could be changed to an error. Play should have been made. Could end up being 0 ER. Wilson also deserves credit for stepping out every 2 second and getting Madson to hit him.

13 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

Yes it easily could be changed to an error. Play should have been made. Could end up being 0 ER. Wilson also deserves credit for stepping out every 2 second and getting Madson to hit him.

If it were changed to an error it'd still be 3 ER. He's still responsible for the other batters before and after the "error" because it would have only been the 2nd out.