Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

[Going to politely ask that any more follow-ups to the punting stats discussion take place here.]

What’s to make of the Dodger pen atm, are folks trusting Alexander first or is this a true committee until Jansen is back (if he does come back)?

6 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

What’s to make of the Dodger pen atm, are folks trusting Alexander first or is this a true committee until Jansen is back (if he does come back)?

Honestly it’s going to take a few more save opportunities to truly gauge what their plan is. Everything is speculative at the moment. I currently grabbed Alexander only because reports suggested him and he got the first save opp. However everyone will need to monitor closely and pounce on anyone else that’s used in the role.

4 minutes ago, Shortnphat said:

Alexander gave up a hit and was yanked. The next guy blew it, but I guess it tells you where the manager is at. Could see Maeda and/or Stripling getting saves (multi-inning variety even) as well.

Really, this could go in a number of ways and no one has any idea. One thing I’ll say is I doubt it’s a “committee until Jansen returns.” Even when managers won’t commit early, they generally find a guy who converts and stick with what works. So whoever gets that first save will have the big advantage. I guess I’d handicap:

Alexander- 50%

Maeda-35%

Stripling/other- 15%

Just complete guesswork though.

RE: Dodgers I would go with Strip.  He should be able to bump up the velocity in the bullpen.  He has more closer type stuff than Maeda.

Caleb Ferguson could get a shot for the Dodgers. He pitched the 8th in their last save situation, before the Chargois/Alexander disaster. Has been quite good in relief and has SP eligibility. Keep an eye on him

It's a committee. Maeda, Stripling, and Ferguson are all likely going to be used in high-leverage multiple inning situations (a la Hader) that should yield some saves. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Alexander chipping in a couple. I doubt anyone is going to stand out and seize the role until Jansen comes back. It's basically a situation to avoid if you're purely aiming for saves. 

Jansen (chest) will throw a bullpen session sometime this week, J.P. Hoornstra of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

This is encouraging news for Jansen, who landed on the disabled list last week due to an irregular heartbeat. The reliever is able to work out normally and hopes to beat his original month-long timetable, though that will likely depend on his progress in the coming weeks. Either way, it sounds like Jansen will be forced to undergo offseason surgery -- the same procedure (atrial fibrillation) he had six years ago to correct the same issue. In the meantime, it sounds like theDodgers will go with a closer-by-committee approach with Jansen on the mend.

That bad man Lugo, about to shut it down in NY. 

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Mush city

That went south quick heh. He started off only needing 6 pitches to retire Stanton/Didi, frustrating indidi. 

Leclerc with 2ks and a save.  Solid 

Bud with the BS

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Definitely not. 

Say what you will but it doesn’t bode well that the first save opportunity Glover received he managed to face one batter and served up a homerun for the blown save. It doesn’t help his confidence being that he was just called from AAA. 

I’d say it’s a committee until further notice. Word of advice just avoid the Nats closer carousel mess.

Gotta love rotoworld and their timely advice.   Kinda funny as this is their "recommendations" from yesterday and today.   Poor schmucks who have to rely on their information.

Seth Lugo on Sunday:

Seth Lugo scattered a pair of hits and fired a scoreless ninth inning to record his first save of the year in the Mets' win over the Marlins on Sunday.
Lugo was called upon to preserve a one-run lead in the ninth inning after Robert Gsellman fired a scoreless eighth. He immediately gave up a leadoff single to pinch-hitter J.T. Realmuto, but got the ensuing batter, Rafael Ortega, to ground into a double-play. Miguel Rojas delivered a two-out base knock, but Lugo induced a game-ending worm-burner off the bat of Starlin Castro to slam the door. He needed just 17 pitches to close this one out. The 28-year-old is the heavy favorite to close for the Mets down the home stretch with Anthony Swarzak on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation. He's 3-3 with a 2.77 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 78/26 K/BB ratio in 81 1/3 innings. Aug 12

Gsellman on Monday:

Robert Gsellman pitched a perfect ninth for a save Monday against the Yankees.

Gsellman couldn't go more that two straight appearances without allowing a run in the latter part of June and the entire month of July, but he's on a nice run of late, through 6 2/3 scoreless innings in six appearances this month. Anthony Swarzak could reenter the mix for saves soon, but Gsellman is the clear favorite for now.

19 minutes ago, quietj said:

Say what you will but it doesn’t bode well that the first save opportunity Glover received he managed to face one batter and served up a homerun for the blown save. It doesn’t help his confidence being that he was just called from AAA. 

I’d say it’s a committee until further notice. Word of advice just avoid the Nats closer carousel mess.

wasnt a save op, was tied 6-6

10 minutes ago, blackbeard said:

wasnt a save op, was tied 6-6

My mistake, same difference though regarding Glover’s and Martinez’ confidence in him.

54 minutes ago, Dontrelle Willis said:

Do you guys think there’s  any chance that Dakota Hudson starts getting some save chances over Jordan Hicks if Norris loses his job. 

Chance?  

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.gif

Not a good one though......

Alexander blows the save.  4th consecutive game the Dodgers have lost the lead in the late innings.  What a debacle.

I don't want to sound like a guy who state my own opinion without having cold hard straight facts out of the clubhouse butttt Scott Alexander will not be the closer anymore for the Dodgers.

And THATS THE BOTTOM LINE BECAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO!

Alexander is throwing batting practice.