Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

58 minutes ago, weisberg26 said:

How long until Viz is back?

Guessing minimum 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

No one here can answer this. Hell, I don’t think their manager can answer.

Hold my beer. I'll jump in my time machine and go check it out. 

2 minutes ago, DavidbivaD said:

Hold my beer. I'll jump in my time machine and go check it out. 

Smart: Never drink and time-jump

Perfect inning 2 Ks for Minter. 

Really hope he keeps the gig. He’s been a godsend. 

Giles is simply a different pitcher in save situations. Gave up a homer tonight, but still got the save. His save situation numbers are pretty awesome I don't think he's blown a save all season.

38 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Giles is simply a different pitcher in save situations. Gave up a homer tonight, but still got the save. His save situation numbers are pretty awesome I don't think he's blown a save all season.

According to the broadcast he has the second longest streak going for not blowing a save next to Diaz.  Something like 19 and Diaz at 28. He looked good tonight.  Didn’t looked phased by the HR.

This Dodger bullpen.   Third night in a row...

1 hour ago, TheBoatmen said:

According to the broadcast he has the second longest streak going for not blowing a save next to Diaz.  Something like 19 and Diaz at 28. He looked good tonight.  Didn’t looked phased by the HR.

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

I don't buy that personally and think it's mainly coincidental because he has blown plenty of saves in pretty spectacular fashion during his time with the Astros.  I've owned him pretty much every year he's been in the majors and can say he"s never been a sure thing - how many closers are?  However, between last year's playoff meltdown and this years antics I just don't see him as being simply a different pitcher (saves vs non-saves). 

22 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I'm scared to roster Giles tbh

Yea.. that's exactly what i'm going through. I picked him up, he's been doing pretty well, but every day i'm so scared. lol

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

Smart: Never drink and time-jump

Damn, you were right. I not only missed my time-jump destination, and I must've f'ed up the space-time continuum on my return, cuz I came back and Urena brain went full idiot!

6 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I don't buy that personally and think it's mainly coincidental because he has blown plenty of saves in pretty spectacular fashion during his time with the Astros.  I've owned him pretty much every year he's been in the majors and can say he"s never been a sure thing - how many closers are?  However, between last year's playoff meltdown and this years antics I just don't see him as being simply a different pitcher (saves vs non-saves). 

I've also owned him for the past 3 years. You are basically arguing facts vs your thoughts. As the other guy said he's converted 19 saves in a row, yet his ratios are terrible and he lost the job. How could he possibly lose the job if he converts every save chance? He lost it because he's absolutely dreadful in non-save situation appearances.

2 minutes ago, jeffr913 said:

Are people holding onto Osuna in hopes he becomes the closer in Houston

He's not owned in my saves only leagues. I own him in my holds league for holds and as a high upside potential closer if something happens to Rondon.

10 minutes ago, jeffr913 said:

Are people holding onto Osuna in hopes he becomes the closer in Houston

Yes, but I also own Rondon (traded for both at our trade deadline before Osuna was traded to the Astros).

It really sucks during the stretch run, but the Astros win too much (outside of their recent skid) and I’m afraid to miss out on the next run of save oops they offer. 

It it would help if Hinch offered some clarity, but I know that he won’t, so I just gotta waste a roster spot and hang onto both for now.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

I've also owned him for the past 3 years. You are basically arguing facts vs your thoughts. As the other guy said he's converted 19 saves in a row, yet his ratios are terrible and he lost the job. How could he possibly lose the job if he converts every save chance? He lost it because he's absolutely dreadful in non-save situation appearances.

It's possible that this is just an unusual year for him with blowups only in games that are not save opportunities.   Doesn't mean he's actually a better pitcher in save opportunity situations as a rule.   Given that logic the Astros should have only used him in save situations only.   It tells you something that they didn't.   

The fact is he has blown plenty of saves (14) over the previous 3 years.  And he has been pulled from the closers role at least 3 different times for not being able to shut the door previously.  That's what I look at...  

If you owned him you certainly understand how unreliable he has been... 

31 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

It's possible that this is just an unusual year for him with blowups only in games that are not save opportunities.   Doesn't mean he's actually a better pitcher in save opportunity situations as a rule.   Given that logic the Astros should have only used him in save situations only.   It tells you something that they didn't.   

The fact is he has blown plenty of saves (14) over the previous 3 years.  And he has been pulled from the closers role at least 3 different times for not being able to shut the door previously.  That's what I look at...  

If you owned him you certainly understand how unreliable he has been... 

I certainly don't consider him reliable, I view him as a liability. However, I do trust him to get the job done in save chances. Unfortunately we have to choose to roll him out there regardless of what type of appearance he may make. Right now he's providing value. Hopefully the change of scenery will do him some good - the guy is clearly a total headcase.

35 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Yes, but I also own Rondon (traded for both at our trade deadline before Osuna was traded to the Astros).

It really sucks during the stretch run, but the Astros win too much (outside of their recent skid) and I’m afraid to miss out on the next run of save oops they offer. 

It it would help if Hinch offered some clarity, but I know that he won’t, so I just gotta waste a roster spot and hang onto both for now.

I’m not sure if you missed it but when Osuna returned, Hinch did state that Rondon was the closer. He can’t really say much more, as things change.

2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

I don't think he was arguing against the facts. He seemed to be suggesting the facts are more related to coincidence than Giles magically becoming a better pitcher based on a somewhat random set of circumstances (SVO)

Osuna needs to earn it or Rondon lose it for the sake of the lockerroom given Osuna's off-field issues and ill-feelings in the lockerroom already. 

1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Osuna needs to earn it or Rondon lose it for the sake of the lockerroom given Osuna's off-field issues and ill-feelings in the lockerroom already. 

Agree. Likeky both have to occur for a change in guard this year...

I know it’s a mess and a committee down in chicago, but does anyone feel Cedeno will be the Closer for now?

1 hour ago, The_Real_Deal said:

I know it’s a mess and a committee down in chicago, but does anyone feel Cedeno will be the Closer for now?

He wasn’t last night in a save situation.......

Strop with another clean save. 5 straight appearances with no baserunners. I really hope they take their time with Brandon "made out of glass" Morrow. 

2 minutes ago, Heisenberg90 said:

Strop with another clean save. 5 straight appearances with no baserunners. I really hope they take their time with Brandon "made out of glass" Morrow. 

He technically did allow a runner tonight.  But yes, he’s been fantastic.