Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

He technically did allow a runner tonight.  But yes, he’s been fantastic. 

Yeah, he was a bit wild tonight, but he managed to get the job done yet again, which is what matters.

I hope they actually consider sticking with Strop even when Morrow gets back.  It wouldn't be the first time a team didn't want to disrupt something working really well, and who knows when they'd have to switch right back to Strop again anyways.

I'm not saying they will do that, as it's probably less than a 50/50 chance it happens, but it's an interesting thought.

Leclerc has been dominant lately, 25:3 K:BB over his last 15 2/3 (June 30th).  18 of his last 19 appearances have been scoreless.

Hope his control this year is real, he had no idea where it was going when he came up a couple years ago.

6 hours ago, Shortnphat said:

Alright, who the heck is the closer for Milwaukee?

I am holding the hope that Knebel will reclaim and it sounds like from Counsell that he prefers Knebel in the 9th; but for now, I say that it's a committee, which is a fantasy nightmare.......  

On 8/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, WinterBall said:

Leclerc has been dominant lately, 25:3 K:BB over his last 15 2/3 (June 30th).  18 of his last 19 appearances have been scoreless.

Hope his control this year is real, he had no idea where it was going when he came up a couple years ago.

Struck out the side today and didn't allow a baserunner.  Maybe this sounds ambitious, but I'd consider him a top 10 closer ROS.  LeClerc's stuff is just so good.

1 hour ago, TheBigBambino said:

May be time to drop Hand. Allen looks like he is settling in now just fine as closer for the Indians

He just had a save two days ago. 

1 hour ago, TheBigBambino said:

May be time to drop Hand. Allen looks like he is settling in now just fine as closer for the Indians

Not at all, besides the fact that Allen looks better than he had in a while.  You'll still miss out on saves because Hand will get the save opps when there's lefties due up in the inning.  It's been said several times in this thread, including by me, that the Indians' closing situation is pretty clear.  If there's multiple righties due up in the 8th and then lefties scheduled to be up after that in the 9th, then it will be Allen setting up Hand.  If the situation is reversed, you get the idea.

Uh oh, here we go. 

Rondon blew the save. Thats 2 in a row.

Osuna watch in effect now...

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

Rondon got ROBBED on a call at home plate. No idea how they overturned it. Osuna didn't look great either.

You know who DID look great in that bullpen? Pressly.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:13 AM, jeffr913 said:

Are people holding onto Osuna in hopes he becomes the closer in Houston

Osuna is on another level as far as talent, its not a question IF, but when. Thats my take.

My take?  Rondon remains closer.

Just one man’s take.

48 minutes ago, David Aames said:

still looking like rondons job to lose. If he bounces back he keeps the gig

It doesn't care if he bounces back against the Mets lets say. You can clearly see in a real tight important game he crumbles under the pressure. 

Neshek quietly converts 3rd save in 15 IP this season. Also has 3 HLDs and a 0.60 ERA and 1.07 WHIP in this short time. I like him down the stretch in SV/HLD leagues. 

With a lot of the trade deadlines having passed....I'm looking to stockpile lottery tickets on my bench. Players that if the team's closer would go down, they would step in a become a top tier closer for the fantasy playoffs. 

I'm assuming Osuna HOU and Ottavino COL are rostered most places.

Others I'm looking at are :

Barnes BOS

Betences NY

Jiminez DET

Kela PIT

Hicks STL

Colome SEA

and Familla/Rodney OAK

Thoughts on these guys and which ones look to be in the best situations to be profitable???

1 hour ago, codog24 said:

With a lot of the trade deadlines having passed....I'm looking to stockpile lottery tickets on my bench. Players that if the team's closer would go down, they would step in a become a top tier closer for the fantasy playoffs. 

Barnes BOS

Betences NY

Jiminez DET

Kela PIT

Hicks STL

Colome SEA

and Familla/Rodney OAK

Thoughts on these guys and which ones look to be in the best situations to be profitable???

Hicks qualifies at SP and I have limited confidence in Norris' health. I'd say he's got the least obstacles in front of him out of that list. 

1 hour ago, codog24 said:

Barnes BOS

Betences NY

Jiminez DET

Kela PIT

Hicks STL

Colome SEA

and Familla/Rodney OAK

Britton in NY also

Agree on Britton.  He has closer experience, and it would allow Bettances to stay in the setup role where he is most comfortable.

I still don't trust Hicks. Too much hype, doesn't match the results. Rushed up the system because he throws 100, hasn't learned how to close out games yet. Any time there are rumblings of him taking over, he lays an egg on the mound. For a while he 'figured it out' and started striking out guys, but looking at his last 30 days we're once again at 6BB:7K in 14.1 IP.

Just trying to warn you guys If he ever gets an opportunity (we only have 6 weeks left...). I could see a lot of angry owners having their final weeks ruined.

I say Rondon gets one last chance and if he blows it again, Hinch definitely hands the closer gig over to Osuna.

31 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

I say Rondon gets one last chance and if he blows it again, Hinch definitely hands the closer gig over to Osuna.

Yeah, I think at this point, Rondon has to be nails in every appearance in order to keep the closer job. And these last two games might be enough for Hinch to go ahead and make the move to get Osuna prepped for the playoffs as the team's closer. We'll see what happens...maybe Hinch gives Rondon the rest of August to strengthen his hold on the job. 

4 hours ago, codog24 said:

Barnes BOS

Betences NY

Jiminez DET

Kela PIT

Hicks STL

Colome SEA

and Familla/Rodney OAK

Jimenez is the most attractive name there for me.  The tigers seem to WANT him to be their eventual closer. Same deal as hicks.  If its a lottery ticket,its those 2 in my opinion.