DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

Just thought it was worth noting that Cody Allen has been pretty studly over the last 30 days. 

5 hours ago, tekashi26ix said:

Is anyone who has both of them starting Osuna over Rondon this week?

My league allows for daily lineup changes, but I’ve been playing both of them every day.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Alvarado, not Romo, is closing out the game. Unreal. 

They've been using Alvarado to close in obvious lefty situations for a while now.

3 minutes ago, Dontrelle Willis said:

Winkler in instead of Minter . As a Minter owner really surprised I mean he only blew one SV.

2 minutes ago, j14nelson said:

Where's Minter?! 

Bunch of righties up. 1 run game. Minter hasn’t looked great lately. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tscherrer2 said:

More and more of baseball teams have moved to using the best relievers vs the best hitters regardless of inning. Except, apparently, the most analytically minded team the Astros want to stick relievers to specific innings.

It really feels like we are looking backwards and trying to craft a narrative around what happened. No one knows what’s going to happen and it’s all a guessing game. 

A closer is the closer until he is not the closer.

Yes that's true for a lot more teams now and I think it makes a lot of sense to do so.    However, you have to be looking at each situation individually and in this particular case it wasn't a great thing to see Rondon in there in a non-save situation.  I don't think you would have seen that happen if Osuna was not there either.  Ask yourself what would have happened if Rondon gave up a run or two to make it a save situation in the 9th?  You think Osuna wasn't going to come out then???

I am not writing Rondon completely off as I think he could see other save opportunities.   Especially if Osuna somehow gets shaky all of a sudden (not likely) but I would bet the house that Osuna is going to get the SVO today should it present itself.  

Edited by knuckleheads

5 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Just thought it was worth noting that Cody Allen has been pretty studly over the last 30 days. 

Didn't really realize it, but you are not wrong.  Over the last 30 days on ESPN's player rater, he's been the #4 ranked reliever.  Tonight's hiccup aside, he still got the save and seems to be more like himself recently than the nail biter he was for a while there when he was being abused by Tito.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Aj Hinch just confirmed on the talk show Power Alley that osuna is now his closer

What was the exact quote? Is it Osuna exclusively, is Rondon just getting some time, matchups/committees, etc.?

3 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

What was the exact quote? Is it Osuna exclusively, is Rondon just getting some time, matchups/committees, etc.?

Basically Rondon is going to be used as the 7th/8th inning guy

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

So Glover safe to drop? 

1 minute ago, Yanks598 said:

Right. That’s what I’m wondering

Definitely safe to drop.