DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

32 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

Kimbrel has 5. Jansen has 2 (August 5th and 7th). 

This sounds especially bad when i realize Ken Giles and Wily Peralta have gotten me 8.

• Haha 1

Its a funny thing. This season leaned HEAVILY in the favor of not taking a closer with a high/mid level draft pick. I've racked up more saves this year with no name guys than most of those who drafted preseason top 15 closers.

BUT look at me now.

I'm forced to speculate on 4 different teams closers going into playoffs. Definitely NOT what I want to be wasting my weekly pick ups for. I currently own 2 guys out of the Philly pen, two guys out of SF, two from WSH and keeping my fingers crossed Minter keeps his job in ATL. At least the SF situation seems to be resolved with Smith looking like he never lost the job. 

All in all, I'll probably continue with the same approach next year on draft day but it sure does suck to have to worry about this stuff right when it counts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Its a funny thing. This season leaned HEAVILY in the favor of not taking a closer with a high/mid level draft pick. I've racked up more saves this year with no name guys than most of those who drafted preseason top 15 closers.

BUT look at me now.

I'm forced to speculate on 4 different teams closers going into playoffs. Definitely NOT what I want to be wasting my weekly pick ups for. I currently own 2 guys out of the Philly pen, two guys out of SF, two from WSH and keeping my fingers crossed Minter keeps his job in ATL. At least the SF situation seems to be resolved with Smith looking like he never lost the job. 

All in all, I'll probably continue with the same approach next year on draft day but it sure does suck to have to worry about this stuff right when it counts. 

Treinen, Diaz, Smith, and, (dare I say it) Giles look like the best closers right now.  ^_^

"Neris might get back into the mix for saves in Philly after this one. He's been ridiculously good since returning from Triple-A on Aug. 14, striking out 16 of the 26 hitters he's faced over 7 1/3 scoreless innings. Those looking to speculate on saves could pick him up"

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, Ham Porter said:

"Neris might get back into the mix for saves in Philly after this one. He's been ridiculously good since returning from Triple-A on Aug. 14, striking out 16 of the 26 hitters he's faced over 7 1/3 scoreless innings. Those looking to speculate on saves could pick him up"

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

giphy.gif

I picked him up and feel terrible about it. I have loved owning Sir Anthony and hope he can figure things out down the stretch.

Look at Neris' AAA numbers before his call-up.  Looks like he figured something out.  Either his splitter, or that he was tipping pitches - or both. 

1 hour ago, mi26 said:

Is Osuna in trouble after last night?

Been wondering myself. He and Rondon have been decent but an occasional lousy inning lately. Hasn't seemed like a CBC situation has necessarily developed, but it's  possible. Makes things confusing with playoffs coming very soon which to own. I'd say Osuna has pitched well enough that they will keep giving him the bulk chances, unless he goes on a Jansen type BS streak.

• Like 1

How do people feel about the yankee pen right now? Still a matchup based committee type thing I think. Britton of the 3 is the one I want to own the least imo

46 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

How do people feel about the yankee pen right now? Still a matchup based committee type thing I think. Britton of the 3 is the one I want to own the least imo

Talked about it a bit a few pages back and Backdoor Slider I think did as well. It's a full blown committee as best anyone can tell. They've all gotten a shot although Betances' came with 0.1 IP after Kahnle almost blew a 5 run lead. Best guess is in an ideal world they'd use Betances vs the best bats, Robertson vs RHP and Britton vs LHP so it'll be difficult to predict and game flow dependent. If I'm forced to choose I'd fade Britton since it'll be fairly random and he's pitched the worst out of em all. 

• Like 1

I am not sure what to do about the mess of the closer situation in PHI. I have both Sir Anthony and Neshek rostered. Should I be dropping Neshek for Neris at this point?

40 minutes ago, pjoner said:

I am not sure what to do about the mess of the closer situation in PHI. I have both Sir Anthony and Neshek rostered. Should I be dropping Neshek for Neris at this point?

I would 

1 hour ago, pjoner said:

I am not sure what to do about the mess of the closer situation in baseball. I have both Sir Anthony and Neshek rostered. Should I be dropping Neshek for Neris at this point?

fixed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DidiFan said:

I think they would prefer to use Robertson in the 7th and Betances in the 8th, which leaves Britain for the 9th, but if for some reason Betances hasn't been used and it becomes a save situation in the 9th, then Boone will go to him.   If that makes any sense.     It also will be based on usage.  As they won't want to use anyone 3 days in a row, if it can be avoided.

• Thanks 1

Osuna with 3 strikeouts to keep it a tie game, and gets the Win. 

That should erase last night's poop inning somewhat.

Steckenrider in with the Marlins down 4 in the 7th inning? Not like he hasn't pitched in awhile either. Did I miss something?

And getting rocked. Fantastic

Edited by Hound75

Neris handling the sixth

And Sir Anthony for the seventh 

27 minutes ago, Hound75 said:

Steckenrider in with the Marlins down 4 in the 7th inning? Not like he hasn't pitched in awhile either. Did I miss something?

And getting rocked. Fantastic

I picked him up 3 days ago. Sorry world.sorry steckenreider family.

4 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Wtf? What do we make of this?

MO-gabe-kapler-juggling-steve-boyle-900x

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Wtf? What do we make of this?

You don't.  It's a tie game and pretty meaningless.  I suppose that means Neshek would get the save opportunity if there is one, but he's been bad recently like 95% of the other relief pitchers in baseball, so I'm not sure there's any more clarity to the situation than there was earlier.

Kimbrel, Jansen, and Hader have combined for 7 ER and 11 W/H in 2.2 innings this week. Fantastic. My bullpen is destroying me. 

Edited by ff062018