DidiFan

August Closer Thread 2018

Considering that the Phillies bp is a hot garbage fire, can we assume that Seranthony is the best option?  He had a somewhat encouraging outing last night.  

Or is tommy hunter the guy for the foreseeable future?

3 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Considering that the Phillies bp is a hot garbage fire, can we assume that Seranthony is the best option?  He had a somewhat encouraging outing last night.  

Or is tommy hunter the guy for the foreseeable future?

Honestly, the way he has been pitching, it would have to be Neris if you are just saying who the best option is.  Who will Kapler actually goto for the next save opportunity?  The only thing that knows that is his Magic 8-Ball.

A name to keep an eye on for a spec on saves, and this is just my thought,  Julio Urias.   If Jansen’s struggles continue, maybe the dodgers give him an opportunity.    It’s a long shot, but for those of you that like to take fliers, there are worse options.  

Edited by Ratso1022
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratso1022 said:

A name to keep an eye on for a spec on saves, and this is just my thought,  Julio Urias.   If Jansen’s struggles continue, maybe the dodgers give him an opportunity.    It’s a long shot, but for those of you that like to take fliers, there are worse options.  

What are those worse options? I can't think of any in MLB or even just the Dodgers.

• Like 2

Probably a long shot to vulture a save or two but who knows, what with the way this year has gone, Chris Devenski was just activated from the DL in HOU.

14 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

What are those worse options? I can't think of any in MLB or even just the Dodgers.

Probably everyone, that’s been given a shot on the dodgers.  Do you want me to reel off every name, or have you not been following?   He is going to pitch out of the pen and has nastier stuff than anyone else they can throw out there.  

Edited by Ratso1022

15 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

Probably everyone, that’s been given a shot on the dodgers.  Do you want me to reel off every name, or have you not been following?   He is going to pitch out of the pen and has nastier stuff than anyone else they can throw out there.  

Everyone is a worse pitcher or everyone is a worse option for saves? If it's the former, that may be true, or not. I think the latter is definitely false.

The Dodgers have little to no interest in having Urias close games right now, as evidenced by the fact that all of his minor league appearances in the last three years have been starts and almost all of his MLB appearances have been starts as well. If Maeda falters as closer, they still have plenty of pure relievers who would likely get a chance before Urias, who almost certainly will be used as a multi-inning guy out of the pen, while still remaining stretched out enough to start, should one of their starts get hurt, kinda taking Maeda's place in that role. The difference is that having Maeda close games doesn't mess around with a young pitcher's development as a starter long term, since Maeda is 30 years old.

For the purpose of chasing saves, I would guess the projected Jansen-less pecking order would be something like Maeda, Alexander, and then Baez. With a couple other names to throw out before Urias'.

1 minute ago, Fiveohnine said:

Everyone is a worse pitcher or everyone is a worse option for saves? If it's the former, that may be true, or not. I think the latter is definitely false.

The Dodgers have little to no interest in having Urias close games right now, as evidenced by the fact that all of his minor league appearances in the last three years have been starts and almost all of his MLB appearances have been starts as well. If Maeda falters as closer, they still have plenty of pure relievers who would likely get a chance before Urias, who almost certainly will be used as a multi-inning guy out of the pen, while still remaining stretched out enough to start, should one of their starts get hurt, kinda taking Maeda's place in that role. The difference is that having Maeda close games doesn't mess around with a young pitcher's development as a starter long term, since Maeda is 30 years old.

For the purpose of chasing saves, I would guess the projected Jansen-less pecking order would be something like Maeda, Alexander, and then Baez. With a couple other names to throw out before Urias'.

you do know they will be using Urias in the bullpen?   He is not going to be starting games when he comes up in September.  Since, he will already be in the pen, it will make perfect sense to put him in as closer if Jansen is still not healthy by then.   

He's had 6 starts, but just 10.2 IP.  He is being groomed to be a BP arm down the stretch.

I doubt Urias will get stretched out enough to use for more than 3 innings.  So I doubt he gets any starts.  

Hopefully it will be a moot point and Jansen is ok and regains a semblance of his old form.  

Edited by Ratso1022

14 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Monday Treinen with a 108.00 ERA and 12.00 WHIP doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. 

That wasn't Treinen. 

• Like 1

oh no Cody Allen in for the HOLD to set up Hand.  this can't go wrong can it?

Edited by JetsAwesome

22 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

That wasn't Treinen. 

Well crap, why do I have Trevino on my team? Thanks been reading that as Treinan most if the season. No wonder I am fighting for a playoff spot.

• Haha 4

So what's the consensus on Jace Fry?

Has he really taken the role now?

He's been pitching pretty well so if he's the chosen dude now, that could be a pretty good closer to end off the year 

Why not leave things be?   It’s failed before. And before.  Keep Betances in the 8th.    Jeez.  It was the formula.   Why?   Why?   

Strop  with a clean save. I guess the Cubs clergy convened with a unanimous decree. 

Does Britton move to the top of the committee we think? Betances blew up against Detroit....

anyone still holding onto Rondon? Will he still get chances?

Is Morrow going to be back as closer for the Cubs when he's ready?

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

Is Morrow going to be back as closer for the Cubs when he's ready?

Likely,  but not 100% and probably has a short leash.  And likely won't go b2b games often.  

That's my guess anyway,  and how im approaching planning his return 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Likely,  but not 100% and probably has a short leash.  And likely won't go b2b games often.  

That's my guess anyway,  and how im approaching planning his return 

Thanks.  I had an empty DL spot and noticed him on the wire.  Sounds like he should be at least a halfway decent stash for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, mi26 said:

anyone still holding onto Rondon? Will he still get chances?

I'm holding because he's still putting up good ratios, and with an IP cap I have to rely on MRs and SU guys to help fill slots in which I don't have closers. I need their help with my ratios. So yes...still holding. 

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Dbacks and Rockies rejoice!

;)

• Haha 1

Viz set for rehab games starting Sunday.

Might be in the mix for saves in the final 2-3 weeks.