kmac771

D’angelo Russell 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Not sure how I should feel about Russell  potentially being better now when I had both him and LeVert. Still feels pretty bad actually

I'd be really hesitant to get too excited.  Don't get me wrong, he's one of my 3 favorite players and I want him to become a star....but the dynamic him and Levert had working together since he arrived in Brooklyn can't be overstated.  These guys practiced at the gym late nights, and are really good friends.  Levert was batman, and D Lo robin.  

Be prepared for worse shot selection, and lots more turnovers.  The Nets are going to look like a different team because Levert was the engine of this team, and the guy to take over in crunch time, and the playmaker, and a big part of their chemistry / culture in the locker room, and on the court.  D Lo is not mature enough, or just overall ready to lead this team to victories, and they don't have enough talent around him to ease the load.  It's going to get ugly....fast.  I'm pretty sure the organization realizes this quickly, and I hope they tank.  Zion to Brooklyn!  Then these 3 can have an awesome core starting next year.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HulkSmash said:

I'd be really hesitant to get too excited.  Don't get me wrong, he's one of my 3 favorite players and I want him to become a star....but the dynamic him and Levert had working together since he arrived in Brooklyn can't be overstated.  These guys practiced at the gym late nights, and are really good friends.  Levert was batman, and D Lo robin.  

Be prepared for worse shot selection, and lots more turnovers.  The Nets are going to look like a different team because Levert was the engine of this team, and the guy to take over in crunch time, and the playmaker, and a big part of their chemistry / culture in the locker room, and on the court.  D Lo is not mature enough, or just overall ready to lead this team to victories, and they don't have enough talent around him to ease the load.  It's going to get ugly....fast.  I'm pretty sure the organization realizes this quickly, and I hope they tank.  Zion to Brooklyn!  Then these 3 can have an awesome core starting next year.

tenor.gif?itemid=9745919

• Like 1

Can’t believe I was dying to trade him early on smh. 

Yeah he's not mature. Yeah he will have bad games. Yeah he is inconsistent.

But his 'floor' is almost the equivalent of the 'ceiling' of those 'solid mid-rounders' who get praised like a god in this forum day and night. 

20.2pts 3reb 5.4ast 1.8stl/avg + .429 FG% in his last 5 games. 

Yeah I know many people see this guy as a 'bust' somehow. 

But don't care about them.

Talent is here, playing time is here. And the team has a future(finally...).

As I said, a solid top-50 with an upside. In keeper leagues, maybe you could try to trade for him. It may seem slow, but I definitely see this guy getting better step-by-step.

Edited by jhsong916
  • Like 1

On 13/11/2018 at 3:49 AM, HulkSmash said:

Spencer Dinwiddie can play Caris role to some extent. Today he actually played more mins.

I'm starting to believe that D'Lo makes his guards better lol!

I'm going to eat a slice of humble pie here, a bit.

D Lo's might not tail spin out of control as predicted with really low FG% and tons of TO's.  I didn't predict Dinwiddie playing this well, and also was 100% convinced the injury to Levert was season ending, at the least.  As stated above, Dinwiddie can fill Levert's role really well, without of course the length and size, but he's doing great.  If he can do it consistently, and D Lo can be more a SG with passing abilities, like a Bradley Beal, then he's in for a big season.  

I really think it helps that Levert was only diagnosed with a dislocated ankle, for D Lo's sake as much as the organization.  If Levert's injury was a bad as it looked, I'm not sure D Lo and others would be playing as well right now.  Season ending injuries to the leader of the team can devastate morale and affect their best friends confidence.  They dodged a bullet big time.

Let's see how this plays out.  Looking good so far and love seeing this kid succeeding after all the BS he's been through.  What Magic said on his way out the door lit a fire under D Lo.  How couldn't it?  

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HulkSmash said:

I'm going to eat a slice of humble pie here, a bit.

D Lo's might not tail spin out of control as predicted with really low FG% and tons of TO's.  I didn't predict Dinwiddie playing this well, and also was 100% convinced the injury to Levert was season ending, at the least.  As stated above, Dinwiddie can fill Levert's role really well, without of course the length and size, but he's doing great.  If he can do it consistently, and D Lo can be more a SG with passing abilities, like a Bradley Beal, then he's in for a big season.  

I really think it helps that Levert was only diagnosed with a dislocated ankle, for D Lo's sake as much as the organization.  If Levert's injury was a bad as it looked, I'm not sure D Lo and others would be playing as well right now.  Season ending injuries to the leader of the team can devastate morale and affect their best friends confidence.  They dodged a bullet big time.

Let's see how this plays out.  Looking good so far and love seeing this kid succeeding after all the BS he's been through.  What Magic said on his way out the door lit a fire under D Lo.  How couldn't it?  

I agree with this. I think D Lo has been the biggest beneficiary of Levert's injury, and this may be the break he needed to prove that he can get the job done. The improvement in this last couple games since Levert went down is definitely noticeable.

2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I agree with this. I think D Lo has been the biggest beneficiary of Levert's injury, and this may be the break he needed to prove that he can get the job done. The improvement in this last couple games since Levert went down is definitely noticeable.

When Levert gets back, I think it benefits both of them, too.  There's more than enough ball to go around on this team, and these guys love playing off each other.  

Levert got out ahead this season with his confidence, but D Lo was slowly catching up.  We're gonna see good Nets basketball in the 2nd half, especially has Jarret Allen gets more consistent, and confident.  Plus Dinwiddie, is still really young.  He's proven he can run the offense, and can do that in the 2nd unit so the team is effective when their starters get rest.  I know this is a fantasy forum, but it's good to see my Nets finally dig themselves out of the mess they had after the Celtics trade.  The front office did an incredible job creating a positive culture, that's tight knit, hard-working, young and no big ego's to cater to.  D Lo has been through more than almost any 21 year old NBA player in history.  Being humbled a few times forced him to start maturing, and I believe it all happened for a reason, saving his career.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HulkSmash said:

When Levert gets back, I think it benefits both of them, too.  There's more than enough ball to go around on this team, and these guys love playing off each other.  

Levert got out ahead this season with his confidence, but D Lo was slowly catching up.  We're gonna see good Nets basketball in the 2nd half, especially has Jarret Allen gets more consistent, and confident.  Plus Dinwiddie, is still really young.  He's proven he can run the offense, and can do that in the 2nd unit so the team is effective when their starters get rest.  I know this is a fantasy forum, but it's good to see my Nets finally dig themselves out of the mess they had after the Celtics trade.  The front office did an incredible job creating a positive culture, that's tight knit, hard-working, young and no big ego's to cater to.  D Lo has been through more than almost any 21 year old NBA player in history.  Being humbled a few times forced him to start maturing, and I believe it all happened for a reason, saving his career.  

yeah, when I said D Lo was the biggest beneficiary of Levert's injury, I meant it fantasy wise. They definitely have good chemistry and play well together.

Just now, Ajax said:

yeah, when I said D Lo was the biggest beneficiary of Levert's injury, I meant it fantasy wise. They definitely have good chemistry and play well together.

I know what you mean.  I agree, too.

What scared me when Levert went down is that we've seen this before, just last year, when Jeremy Lin and D Lo were all excited in the preseason to play off eachother.  They talked about how they can take turns being the PG, and SG, depending on who's shot is falling, and who's orchestrating the offense best each game.  Lin went down ASAP, and everything fell on D Lo's shoulders.   D Lo put up some stats, but looked completely over-matched, and definitely not ready to lead an NBA offense.

This year he's shown maturity.  I do see him get hot, and then start feeling himself too much, and take ill advised shots, and airballing.  He let's his high's get too high, then his low's get too low.  His game doesn't match his emotions, though because his best attributes on offense are his controlled tempo in the pick and roll, cool and confident 3 pointer, and the effort-less thread the needle type passes he showed consistently in college.  I don't wanna see HUGE confidence from D Lo.  I wanna see a steady hand, his chin up even on bad shooting nights, and his head in the game communicating with his teammates regardless of the score.  If he gets that, then he'll take off similar to James Harden.  They both have that nice lefty J, and aren't amazing athletes, but the game slows down for them when they are in the zone.  Harden's just learned to be constantly in the zone.  He's had 6 years to develop that mindset.

• Like 2

Remember all the guys talking trash in here that Russell isnt a good player and hasn't improved since his rookie year. Where they at now? :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CBower said:

Basking in regret. Traded him for rudy gay right before all the injury and sickness... awful trade so far ?

And that's why you start off on a probationary period.. lol jk. I'm sure it's happened to even the most "established" of members.

1 hour ago, richg24 said:

Remember all the guys talking trash in here that Russell isnt a good player and hasn't improved since his rookie year. Where they at now? :ph34r:

I am right here:rolleyes:. I was not talking trash though. I just don't think he has the potential to be great IRL. I dont want to be negative after the week he had. I am really excited he is finally putting up the numbers and doing so in an efficient way! Tbh i am trying to sell him (i made 2 offers for OPJ and Mirotic) but i know Russ has a lot of fans, so i will not tag him as a sell high. Still believe LeVert is the main piece for Net's future but it's nice to see DLo waking up and finding his groove.

8 hours ago, hoopnking24 said:

And that's why you start off on a probationary period.. lol jk. I'm sure it's happened to even the most "established" of members.

Meh despite the poor timing I still stand by it in the long run. D'lo just lacks the confidence and fluidity for me to hold on long term. I think it's just a hot streak in rhythm for the moment and his efficiency will return to what it was