Spyplane

Mikal Bridges 2018-19 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, wallacesnoop said:

Shame that he has a 3-3-3 playoff schedule

 

Good thing there are no 2 gms week. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wallacesnoop said:

Shame that he has a 3-3-3 playoff schedule

 

Doesn't matter considering that he has the potential to win stocks for you by the time playoffs come around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, XOrad10 said:

Mikal Bridges just got SG positional eligibility in Yahoo!

 

sweet that means espn will too in 3 months

 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brosephd said:

 

sweet that means espn will too in 3 months

 

 

Even that feels like you’re being too generous.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IDatDude said:

Man if your putting assist, this guys like the ultimate stash. 

 

Wetdream on the waiver wire type potential asset :lol:

 

Also wet dream if you're punting points!! Love having him already. 

Edited by DavidbivaD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, letemfly said:

Is he any better than Aminu though? Seems like they're pretty similar stats-wise.

I guess they are pretty similar in that they both give low points with decent defensive stats though there are huge differences in their efficiency and rebounding,

but most importantly Bridges is providing similar value to Aminu in 9 less minutes per game.

 

On a team that seems inclined to start giving him more minutes and develop their youth I think he should be better than Aminu fantasy-wise for rest of season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, letemfly said:

Is he any better than Aminu though? Seems like they're pretty similar stats-wise.

 

We all know what Aminu can do. His value has remained the same over the past few seasons. Inconsistent, crappy FG%, usually almost a steal and a block a game. End of bench guy.

 

Mikal has the potential to be RoCo without the FG% hit. In limited minutes he has already put up some crazy lines with stocks, and it looks like he's primed for big minutes in the near future. He's already replaced JJ in the rotation, and It's almost inevitable that he will be starting soon - if you look at Warren, he was outplaying Anderson and thus played his way into the starting lineup. The same should apply to Mikal and Ariza/Canaan.

Edited by Espoiral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Espoiral said:

 

We all know what Aminu can do. His value has remained the same over the past few seasons. Inconsistent, crappy FG%, usually almost a steal and a block a game. End of bench guy.

 

Mikal has the potential to be RoCo without the FG% hit. In limited minutes he has already put up some crazy lines with stocks, and it looks like he's primed for big minutes in the near future. He's already replaced JJ in the rotation, and It's almost inevitable that he will be starting soon - if you look at Warren, he was outplaying Anderson and thus played his way into the starting lineup. The same should apply to Mikal and Ariza/Canaan.

 

Warren plays the same position as Anderson. Mikal only plays the same position as Ariza, not Canaan.  I own some shares of Mikal and I think he will continue to see his minutes rise, but Mikal's minutes have very little to do with Canaan. We can't just cherry pick the worst player in a starting 5 and say Mikal will take their minutes because the Suns will not roll out Booker as their 1 unless they are facing teams with jumbo lineups. As bad as Canaan is isn't the main point...it is that he is the Suns best PG. The Suns need a PG and Mikal, Booker, Ariza, Warren don't count as one. 

The Mikal minutes will be determined by Ariza and Warren. Obviously, health matters but Booker is getting his minutes. It isn't as simple as Mikal is efficient and plays defense better than Warren either, IMO. You can't put Booker with Ayton and floor spacers that can't create their own shots or can't absorb alot of usage. It isn't fair to Booker at this stage of his career. So taking Warren off the floor means you are just putting more pressure on Booker and defenses get to key in on him because there is no one else that the defense is going to be overly concerned with. Ayton doesn't draw doubles. Ariza is a spacer. Mikal spaces and doesn't take a ton of shots. So who else is going to take 15-22 shots aside from Booker in a scenario where Mikal replaces Warren? I would almost argue that an aggressive Ayton is the best path to Mikal minutes because he could demand and get shots to relieve Booker. Or they make a trade to bring in a 1 and relieve the wing depth. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

 

Warren plays the same position as Anderson. Mikal only plays the same position as Ariza, not Canaan.  I own some shares of Mikal and I think he will continue to see his minutes rise, but Mikal's minutes have very little to do with Canaan. We can't just cherry pick the worst player in a starting 5 and say Mikal will take their minutes because the Suns will not roll out Booker as their 1 unless they are facing teams with jumbo lineups. As bad as Canaan is isn't the main point...it is that he is the Suns best PG. The Suns need a PG and Mikal, Booker, Ariza, Warren don't count as one. 

The Mikal minutes will be determined by Ariza and Warren. Obviously, health matters but Booker is getting his minutes. It isn't as simple as Mikal is efficient and plays defense better than Warren either, IMO. You can't put Booker with Ayton and floor spacers that can't create their own shots or can't absorb alot of usage. It isn't fair to Booker at this stage of his career. So taking Warren off the floor means you are just putting more pressure on Booker and defenses get to key in on him because there is no one else that the defense is going to be overly concerned with. Ayton doesn't draw doubles. Ariza is a spacer. Mikal spaces and doesn't take a ton of shots. So who else is going to take 15-22 shots aside from Booker in a scenario where Mikal replaces Warren? I would almost argue that an aggressive Ayton is the best path to Mikal minutes because he could demand and get shots to relieve Booker. Or they make a trade to bring in a 1 and relieve the wing depth. 

 

 

Like this analysis. It's going to get a lot more interesting when the Suns trade for that fella Terry Rozier haha

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own Warren, Ariza, and Bridges. All are getting over 25 minutes now and will eat in this offense. Bridges is still available in more than 80% of Yahoo leagues, and is a proactive add in the inevitable case that’s Ariza gets traded to a contender. He is still providing low end value as it stands now though. As for Warren, he has easily been the WW pickup of the year. But I see Bridges minutes increasing as the year wears on. The stocks and 3’s he provides is rare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this while browsing the Suns Reddit. Mikal is the league leader in net rating. Their usual starting lineup of Canaan-Booker-Ariza-Warren-Ayton (-27.3) has one of the worst or worst differential while Booker-Bridges-Ariza-Warren-Ayton (+20.6) is the best.

 

Now, this puts the Suns in a predicament. They can control their odds of winning the lottery which has two of the most hyped rookies in recent memory with Zion and RJ. They can get another player on a rookie scale contract. The Suns have been hard to watch ever since their almost playoffs seasons. Winning or losing? Controlled tanking? Decisions, decisions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

Just saw this while browsing the Suns Reddit. Mikal is the league leader in net rating. Their usual starting lineup of Canaan-Booker-Ariza-Warren-Ayton (-27.3) has one of the worst or worst differential while Booker-Bridges-Ariza-Warren-Ayton (+20.6) is the best.

 

Now, this puts the Suns in a predicament. They can control their odds of winning the lottery which has two of the most hyped rookies in recent memory with Zion and RJ. They can get another player on a rookie scale contract. The Suns have been hard to watch ever since their almost playoffs seasons. Winning or losing? Controlled tanking? Decisions, decisions.

 

Can you provide the minutes this lineup has been on the floor vs. the starters because that is the context of the stats. If this is pulling from the Sixers game and not much else than the sample size is too small to be drawing conclusions. Also, given time, I think almost every lineup will be a negative rating because the Suns are pretty much terrible. 

 

I don't think the top of this draft is too much different than most recently hyped drafts. In general, every non-competitive team should be trying to get the best assets possible. That is why tanking is in every non-competitive team's best interest. But, the choice for the Suns isn't as simple as RJ or Zion if they land #1 again. It will be dynamic and it will be a question of what other teams are willing to trade for the #1 because the Suns need a SF/PF and a PG. I would say Zion probably fits them best, but a lot can change before the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Can you provide the minutes this lineup has been on the floor vs. the starters because that is the context of the stats. If this is pulling from the Sixers game and not much else than the sample size is too small to be drawing conclusions. Also, given time, I think almost every lineup will be a negative rating because the Suns are pretty much terrible. 

 

I don't think the top of this draft is too much different than most recently hyped drafts. In general, every non-competitive team should be trying to get the best assets possible. That is why tanking is in every non-competitive team's best interest. But, the choice for the Suns isn't as simple as RJ or Zion if they land #1 again. It will be dynamic and it will be a question of what other teams are willing to trade for the #1 because the Suns need a SF/PF and a PG. I would say Zion probably fits them best, but a lot can change before the draft. 

 

It's their first most used lineup (98 mins.) against fourth most (29 mins.). I doubt they would trade it if they land 1 or 2. It's hard to match salaries & I think Ryan Anderson is expiring fairly soon. It would be better to separate those two assets unless they're getting a superstar. I think the level of hype is the same as the one the Wiggins-Parker draft had.

 

I do think the Suns know what they have in Mikal & I'd like him to get some reps against the best guard/wings of opposing teams. It's just that their draft record has been horrendous outside of Booker before Ayton & Bridges.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2019/lineups/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thezing1 said:

 

Warren plays the same position as Anderson. Mikal only plays the same position as Ariza, not Canaan.  I own some shares of Mikal and I think he will continue to see his minutes rise, but Mikal's minutes have very little to do with Canaan. We can't just cherry pick the worst player in a starting 5 and say Mikal will take their minutes because the Suns will not roll out Booker as their 1 unless they are facing teams with jumbo lineups. As bad as Canaan is isn't the main point...it is that he is the Suns best PG. The Suns need a PG and Mikal, Booker, Ariza, Warren don't count as one. 

The Mikal minutes will be determined by Ariza and Warren. Obviously, health matters but Booker is getting his minutes. It isn't as simple as Mikal is efficient and plays defense better than Warren either, IMO. You can't put Booker with Ayton and floor spacers that can't create their own shots or can't absorb alot of usage. It isn't fair to Booker at this stage of his career. So taking Warren off the floor means you are just putting more pressure on Booker and defenses get to key in on him because there is no one else that the defense is going to be overly concerned with. Ayton doesn't draw doubles. Ariza is a spacer. Mikal spaces and doesn't take a ton of shots. So who else is going to take 15-22 shots aside from Booker in a scenario where Mikal replaces Warren? I would almost argue that an aggressive Ayton is the best path to Mikal minutes because he could demand and get shots to relieve Booker. Or they make a trade to bring in a 1 and relieve the wing depth. 

 

Agree with you overall but the Mikal taking minutes from Canaan is predicated on Booker playing the 1 and Mikal the 2 which hopefully happens a little more

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaiway said:

Agree with you overall but the Mikal taking minutes from Canaan is predicated on Booker playing the 1 and Mikal the 2 which hopefully happens a little more

It won't unless the opponent allows it. Booker chasing around quick 1's isn't going to happen from what I have seen. On offense they are fine with Booker playing the point and facilitating. On defense they are not fine with Booker guarding the 1. He is already a poor defender. Quick 1s would penetrate and collapse that defense at will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

It won't unless the opponent allows it. Booker chasing around quick 1's isn't going to happen from what I have seen. On offense they are fine with Booker playing the point and facilitating. On defense they are not fine with Booker guarding the 1. He is already a poor defender. Quick 1s would penetrate and collapse that defense at will. 

Agreed, it would require booker to play the 1 on offense and mikal play the 1 on defense

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thezing1 said:

It won't unless the opponent allows it. Booker chasing around quick 1's isn't going to happen from what I have seen. On offense they are fine with Booker playing the point and facilitating. On defense they are not fine with Booker guarding the 1. He is already a poor defender. Quick 1s would penetrate and collapse that defense at will. 

 

So the better option is to use the defensive  stalwart that is Isaiah Canaan?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been quoted a lot so just going to respond in general to the latest round of comments. 

 

-The Suns roster is broken. They have no PG that excels. The players are young, in general. It is like shoving a square peg through a circular hole if you just let them role out the "best" 5. They can't do that well at this stage of the game. Honestly, Booker just isn't good enough yet. It is unfair to him. I watch their games and when they have relief on Booker and other players collapse the defense with shot fakes or there is good ball movement the Suns play well. When they put the ball in Booker's hands and it is stagnat then it is a bad, long shot out of rhythm, hero ball, or a turnover. Just watch the games and you can literally see it happening in real time. And that is all totally normal for a young team. 

 

-i don't care to try and predict the future of draft classes in November. All I know for fact is the Suns owner is crazy in a bad way and wants to be competitive. Them trading a lottery pick is not out of the rhealm of possibilities. 

 

- we are all on the same team. I own shares of Mikal. I like seeing young players find their way in the league. I am a total sucker for wings with go-go gadget arms. I love stocks. But, I am mostly about team builds and not a player rater. Mikal is a source of steals and 3s, and one of those is the easiest category to find. I don't see tremendous upside (like set it and forget it on any week) for Mikal unless there is injury or trade. He is most definitely an option, serviceable currently, with upside as the season progresses. He needs to be owned, but he isn't a player that carries zero risk. The Suns are one small step above the kings organization. 

 

-i need a lot more than a smaple set versus the sixers. I said this after that game. The Suns have flexibility to adapt to an opponent, which they did with Simmons at point. We have yet to see them impose their flexibility on an opponent. When they dictate the lineup they want to roll out that will be the time to pencil in Mikal for 32-37 mpg. Do I want them to do that...of course I do. Canaan is a third string PG. I love confidence and teams making other teams adjust to them. But, if teams don't adjust and just smoke a Suns jumbo lineup they can't force that because it isn't fair to Booker. And Booker is top priority. Faster they get him playing the harden role efficiently the better. Also, don't quote the jumbo lineup net rating that is comprised of the sixers game. The Suns adjusted to the sixers, not the other way around. That sample set is too small to be conclusive.

 

-the upcoming schedule is interesting. Bledsoe could be covered by Mikal. RJax might be canaan. DC, DJ, and SGA can be Mikal. Fox and Lillard will probably require the status quo of Canaan UNLESS Mikal transition happens before then. Those two are tough covers.  So they either make the move to Mikal soon or wait until early/mid December. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

- But, I am mostly about team builds and not a player rater. Mikal is a source of steals and 3s, and one of those is the easiest category to find. I don't see tremendous upside (like set it and forget it on any week) for Mikal unless there is injury or trade. He is most definitely an option, serviceable currently, with upside as the season progresses. He needs to be owned, but he isn't a player that carries zero risk. The Suns are one small step above the kings organization. 

 

 

 

I agree Mikal is not set it and forget it every week yet, but every player carries some level of risk, especially from the WW. Also, his upside comes from the ability to contribute 1.5-2 threes and 2 steals on good percentages and low TOs on any given night. Only 5 players were able to put a line consisting of over 1 three and 2 steals last season (Dipo, PG13, Kawhi, Butler, Bledsoe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

Are we starting in roto? Bucks ain’t nothing to scoff at 

 

I'm rolling the dice in my roto league.  This could be a high scoring game and I think Bridges will get at least 25min of burn regardless of whether or not this turns into a blowout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...