FouLLine

Deivi Garcia - RHP NYY

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

May be speaking out my a**, but the size and control issues probably point towards him becoming a bullpen arm in the majors which kills his prospect value

The size has always been a concern.  I think the Yanks will continue to groom him as a starter until there is reason to move him to the pen.  He struggled a bit at AAA, which his age relative to the league, is understandable.  For sure, he needs to sharpen his control moving forward, but the stuff has been nasty and to date he has shown the ability to at least pitch 5+ innings.

20 hours ago, JohnR said:

why are all the rankings so down on him this year?  20 year old reached AAA and a 165:54 K:BB rate in only 111 innings.  Sure, hes small and struggled in AAA a bit but he's 20!  He was a shiny new toy not long ago.  I have him on all my teams as a prospect... am I missing something here that perhaps I should drop for someone higher ranked??

I'm still high on him...Own him in dynasty 

Listened to Badler on a podcast yesterday talk about Deivi

he think it’s night not come together this year because he needs to tighten his control , but he’s been rushed up the minors and still very young.

He projects him as a #3 starter with a chance of a 2

With Severino injury news, does Devi get a shot at opening the season in the rotation?

24 minutes ago, svdude said:

With Severino injury news, does Devi get a shot at opening the season in the rotation?

It's sure as hell more likely, but I question whether or not he's ready to start in the majors, especially the AL East. Gun to my head, I'd say he doesn't start in the rotation. Seems like with Paxton hanging on by a thread and Severino out, his IP in the majors is certainly trending up.  Even though the Yankees injury bug has hit, that doesn't mean it will stop hitting either.  Decent chance someone else gets hurt too.

Edited by brockpapersizer

22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

It's sure as hell more likely, but I question whether or not he's ready to start in the majors, especially the AL East. Gun to my head, I'd say he doesn't start in the rotation. Seems like with Paxton hanging on by a thread and Severino out, his IP in the majors is certainly trending up.  Even though the Yankees injury bug has hit, that doesn't mean it will stop hitting either.  Decent chance someone else gets hurt too.

I think this is pretty spot on, it pitchers--more are quite likely to go down yet. Given some of the restrictions likely to be on Deivi, Monty and Jonny Loaisiga --amongst many other young arms, have to wonder if they use openers and shorter inning stints as a way to manage these guys? It isn't great for their general fantasy value, but makes a ton of sense for this season and their respective developments.

6 hours ago, svdude said:

No. He was not very good in AAA last year, the kid needs more time. Good talent, but the Yankees won't rush him. That SP 5 will come down to Louisiaga (sp), King and Cessa in my view. 

Also Deivis struggles in AAA are not a ton to be worried about. The ball was crazy and he was just 20 years old, which is crazy young for the level. That doesn't happen often.

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Also Deivis struggles in AAA are not a ton to be worried about. The ball was crazy and he was just 20 years old, which is crazy young for the level. That doesn't happen often.

Maybe not, but if you struggle in one division you are probably not moving up to the next one,no matter what the excuse is. He will not break camp with NYY. 

43 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Maybe not, but if you struggle in one division you are probably not moving up to the next one,no matter what the excuse is. He will not break camp with NYY. 

I like DG but I have to agree with you.  
At AAA last year he had a 5.40 ERA and a WHIP around 1.5

he’s young and he has talent but I can’t see the Yankees throwing him out there when you consider his age and struggles towards the end of last season. 

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

No. He was not very good in AAA last year, the kid needs more time. Good talent, but the Yankees won't rush him. That SP 5 will come down to Louisiaga (sp), King and Cessa in my view. 

Dont overlook Clark Schmidts chances

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

I mean I never said he would. That being said they don't really have an option for a guy who didn't struggle last year as their number 5. Losagia was bad in AAA too. Schmidt hasn't played above AA. 

9 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

They may also look to move Andujar to acquire an arm.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 11:06 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I mean I never said he would. That being said they don't really have an option for a guy who didn't struggle last year as their number 5. Losagia was bad in AAA too. Schmidt hasn't played above AA. 

Honestly outside of Gallen & McKay who really pitched well in AAA?  A lot of young pitchers pitched bad in AAA and then in then later in the season pitched better in the big leagues last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

Honestly outside of Gallen & McKay who really pitched well in AAA?  A lot of young pitchers pitched bad in AAA and then in then later in the season pitched better in the big leagues last year.

Urquidy had a breakout last year and pitched 5 scoreless in the WORLD SERIES, had a 4.63 ERA in his first trip to AAA as a 23/24 year old.  Im still pretty optimistic on Deivi long term, but not confident he's going to be a 12 team option in 2020.

His 2nd inning had a backwards K, full count BB, gave up 2-run bomb, piss rocket to dead center that would have been HR if not for being in centerfield, and not sure the last out but I think was a grounder.