Cotton Jones

Ameer Abdullah 2018 Outlook

Anyone from the Detroit area want to comment on the chances the Lions cut or trade Abdullah?

Was listening to the "on the couch" podcast this morning by footballguys and they mentioned the possibility of a trade to SF, could be huge for his value. 

1 hour ago, pjbyrne707 said:

Anyone from the Detroit area want to comment on the chances the Lions cut or trade Abdullah?

Was listening to the "on the couch" podcast this morning by footballguys and they mentioned the possibility of a trade to SF, could be huge for his value. 

Nobody here knows either. He won’t be getting any playing time here behind Blount and Johnson so the only options are keeping as an insurance policy or as a trade piece. I would love to see Abdullah go some place like SF and be utilized in an offense like that. 

Just now, itschief33 said:

Nobody here knows either. He won’t be getting any playing time here behind Blount and Johnson so the only options are keeping as an insurance policy or as a trade piece. I would love to see Abdullah go some place like SF and be utilized in an offense like that. 

Abdullah fell on his face when he had the opportunity last year.  This turd isn't worth a thread.  Even if he did get moved, I'd pick up Peyton Hillis before I picked up this guy.

1 hour ago, pjbyrne707 said:

You're assuming he could actually beat out Morris and Breida for touches. I wouldn't make that assumption.

4 minutes ago, CooL said:

Abdullah fell on his face when he had the opportunity last year.  This turd isn't worth a thread.  Even if he did get moved, I'd pick up Peyton Hillis before I picked up this guy.

That’d be a bold move. Lions RBs as a whole averaged slightly less than a yard before contact last year, second worst rate in the league. I’m not saying there aren’t backs that couldn’t make something out of nothing but geez. 49ers for example had double the yards before contact for their RBs, 7th highest. Once again, not saying he’d beat out anyone there but the fit does make sense to me

Chances he will be cut are incredibly slim, like <5%, probably closer to 0%.  I don't care how "bad" all you armchair GMs at home think he is.  He's a talented, versatile, player, at a position where depth is incredibly important, and is on a contract taking up less than 1% of the salary cap.  They're not cutting him.

Now, the chances he's traded?  That's a possibility, I'd say something like 30-40% chance (just a guess based on following the team pretty closely).  The Lions just signed a RB to the practice squad.  Turmoil in Pittsburgh and SF could have the trade offers rolling in... watch the situation closely.  He could be pretty productive in Pittsburgh.  SF would be a committee and probably all 3 RBs would be marginalized in terms of fantasy.

Edited by JJ1223
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Chances he will be cut are incredibly slim, like <5%, probably closer to 0%.  I don't care how "bad" all you armchair GMs at home think he is.  He's a talented, versatile, player, at a position where depth is incredibly important, and is on a contract taking up less than 1% of the salary cap.  They're not cutting him.

Now, the chances he's traded?  That's a possibility, I'd say something like 30-40% chance (just a guess based on following the team pretty closely).  The Lions just signed a RB to the practice squad.  Turmoil in Pittsburgh and SF could have the trade offers rolling in... watch the situation closely.  He could be pretty productive in Pittsburgh.  SF would be a committee and probably all 3 RBs would be marginalized in terms of fantasy.

I'm curious what qualifies you as being a non-armchair GM, whose ability to identify talent dwarfs ours. No, being a fan of the team isn't enough. We all have access to watch whatever games we want. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I'm curious what qualifies you as being a non-armchair GM, whose ability to identify talent dwarfs ours. No, being a fan of the team isn't enough. We all have access to watch whatever games we want. 

If you want to be technical, you're right, I'm not any more qualified than you or anyone else to evaluate his talent.  With that said, the hate he gets here is way, way unwarranted.  Has he underwhelmed in his career?  Yep, I'll be the first to admit it.  But I can only place a fraction of the blame on him.  Has he actually had a fair opportunity?

For literally his entire career, here's what he's had to work with:

- an overly conservative head coach

- an offensive coordinator that does not know how to scheme a run game (his words, not mine, although I concur)

- an incredibly porous and frequently injured offensive line

- a pass-first offense (despite the conservative head coach, starting to see how he hasn't been able to flourish?)

- one of the best pass catching RB in the league behind him

Give ANY RB this type of set-up and 99% of them are going to struggle.

Despite all of this, he's consistently had favorable yards-after-contact averages, forces missed tackles, and even has a decent catch rate (I'm sorry I can't provide real numbers to back this up.  I don't pay for PFF or PFO subscriptions, I'm trying to go off memory from things I've seen here, on Twitter, and Lions news sites, in addition to watching literally every snap of his career).

You want to knock him for fumbles, that's where I do have to concede.  He needs to hold on to the ball better and that's important.  But for all of Rotoworld to declare him a bum and completely useless, given what he's dealt with in his career, is simply incorrect and unfair.  Put him in the right position and he's right back to being relevant, I guarantee it.

Edit: to be clear, in his current situation with the Lions, he's mostly fantasy-irrelevant.  I don't want anyone to think I'm advocating for him to be picked up.  By all accounts, Kerryon looks like a better version of him, straight up.

Edited by JJ1223
  • Haha 1

As a 3rd down back? Sure i could see 49ers see value in that. Not as someone who would get meaningful carries

We (the Lions) and the 49ers are frequent trade partners. Our old GM is there now (Mayhew) and he’s the one who drafted Abdullah. They were one of the teams mentioned frequently as trade options for Abdullah before McKinnon’s injury, so most Lions fans are just connecting the dots. And I’m pretty sure the Niners are a big SPARQ team and I think Abdullah scored really well in SPARQ. I’m pretty sure he has the combine record for the three-cone.

During preseason there were some trade rumors about Ameer and 49ers. Lions have excess RBs and 49ers are still very thin at position. Would this weekend be a perfect time to pull the trigger and ship Ameer to new home?

On 9/5/2018 at 3:32 PM, Fierylady said:

We (the Lions) and the 49ers are frequent trade partners. 

What position do you play?

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

What position do you play?

OG, CB, P and sometimes I split out wide in our unique personnel formations. But mostly I’m the mascot, unless I’m starting at QB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

If Breida and Morris continue to be subpar in the next few weeks, I can definitely see a scenario where John Lynch aggressively trades for Ameer or another RB with a skillset similar to Ameer/McKinnon. 49ers payed McKinnon a premium mainly because they liked his athleticism and receiving skills. Ameer resembles McKinnon more so than Breida and Morris, and obviously is the odd man out in Lions backfield. 

1 hour ago, KA13 said:

If Breida and Morris continue to be subpar in the next few weeks, I can definitely see a scenario where John Lynch aggressively trades for Ameer or another RB with a skillset similar to Ameer/McKinnon. 49ers payed McKinnon a premium mainly because they liked his athleticism and receiving skills. Ameer resembles McKinnon more so than Breida and Morris, and obviously is the odd man out in Lions backfield. 

I think a very late draft pick would be enough

1 minute ago, Cotton Jones said:

I think a very late draft pick would be enough

Yeah my bad, poor choice of words. Aggressively as in he will go get a RB, but won't give up a mid or high draft pick. I think Ameer can be dealt with by just giving up a 6-7 round draft pick. 

Pats will pick him up, then he will fulfill his destiny as a super bowl champion and laugh at the lions all the way to the parade through the boston streets

just kidding, 49ers makes sense