Sign in to follow this  
ponza88

Latavius Murray 2018 Outlook

Latavius Murray - RB - Minnesota
Weight: 223

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/latavius-murray/

I can't believe there isn't a thread on Murray. Who knows if Cook is injury prone / made of glass. What I do know is Murray has been impressive in camp and doesn't want to let go of his RB1 status on his team.

Now, Cook might overtake him (obviously)... but he won't go away. He'll be heavily used. He's highly motivated. He's proven he can do it. 

He's RISING a lot for me!

Edited by ponza88

Murray is still #1 on the depth chart? I can imagine that is only since Cook isn't healthy yet (is he practicing)? I like Murray as one of the top handcuffs who could also potentially carve out standalone value since I could see Vikings opting to ease Cook back into things and to lean on Murray when the game is in hand to conserve Cook. If Cook is healthy enough to play I can't see him starting over Cook though. 

Edited by Jaw1

Cook is an oversized guy who was stronger, faster, and bigger than his college competition.  He never really had to learn how to play RB.  He isn't elusive, and he doesn't run with power for his size.  He is frickin fast.

I do think the ankle injury bothered him more than people believe.

Edited by Sternes

I've stated Murray is JAG multiple times due to terrible lateral movement and inability to make guys miss but his threat to Cook is insanely underrated. Personally, I don't know how much I want to take a guy in the top 15 or so that may not get GL work. At best, Murray will take half of it. He has 20 pounds on Cook. Why wouldn't he at least split GL work?

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I've stated Murray is JAG multiple times due to terrible lateral movement and inability to make guys miss but his threat to Cook is insanely underrated. Personally, I don't know how much I want to take a guy in the top 15 or so that may not get GL work. At best, Murray will take half of it. He has 20 pounds on Cook. Why wouldn't he at least split GL work?

Don't you dare bring this sound logic into the Cook thread...you're likely to get shot.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Don't you dare bring this sound logic into the Cook thread...you're likely to get shot.

I said the same thing months ago in the Cook thread all based on the same pure logic.

Edited by theSPANKER

38 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Cook MURRAY is an oversized guy who was stronger, faster, and bigger than his college competition.  He never really had to learn how to play RB.  He isn't elusive, and he doesn't run with power for his size.  He is frickin fast.

I do think the ankle injury bothered him more than people believe.

Before I get crucified! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

So are Cooks knees.

Do you guys notice that no one actually cares in the Cook thread?

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

Do you guys notice that no one actually cares in the Cook thread?

I'm curious if this is actually any issue at all. We know Murray is a serviceable backup, but he was nonexistent when Cook was healthy last year. 

I think it is fairly easy to assume that Cook is the starting RB, but Murray is likely going to be a top 5 cuff. 

53 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I'm curious if this is actually any issue at all. We know Murray is a serviceable backup, but he was nonexistent when Cook was healthy last year. 

I think it is fairly easy to assume that Cook is the starting RB, but Murray is likely going to be a top 5 cuff. 

Murray was hurt while Cook was healthy. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Murray was hurt while Cook was healthy. 

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I like Cook a lot this year at his price, and there aren't a ton of backups that are as good/as guaranteed to get the majority of work if an injury pops up to the starter, so I'm hoping to grab both. There's also the slight possibility that Cook and Murray are both options to start in fantasy formats depending on how the workload is shared. Murray and McKinnon both had reasonably productive seasons last year, and Cook is miles better than McKinnon from the brief tape he had last year. Not saying it's likely, but I like the situation a lot more than most teams. 

Don’t be silly fellas. Cook was vastly underrated coming out of last year’s draft and had it not been for the injury, he would have been in the discussion for top 5 overall pick this year. If he stays healthy, Cook will be a monster and shoulder most of the load. This won’t be a Freeman/Coleman situation where Murray will have standalone value. He’ll need an injury to have any value in 12 team leagues. 

Edited by Sonny_D

1 minute ago, wildvikestwins said:

As long as Dalvin is healthy he's the #1 RB on this team. There's no competition. 

and given that track record I’ll gladly snag the Murray insurance policy in the double digit rounds

5 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

and given that track record I’ll gladly snag the Murray insurance policy in the double digit rounds

Which is totally fine and quite prudent to do so. But you can say that about any decent backup who is behind either a player coming off a major injury or one that is injury prone. 

Lottery ticket in case of injury? Yes. Stand alone value? No. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

I've tried this guy enough times in the past to say la, la, la, I don't want to listen and I don't care what the case is for him this year. Not having him  on my team is worth more to my enjoyment of fantasy sports than it is to be right on this particular sleeper.

Edited by Spyplane

47 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I've tried this guy enough times in the past to say la, la, la, I don't want to listen and I don't care what the case is for him this year. Not having him  on my team is worth more to my enjoyment of fantasy sports than it is to be right on this particular sleeper.

Why? He has been productive when asked to start and carry the load.

55 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

What are you talking about, The dude has a better looking career than someone like dion Lewis. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

What are you talking about, The dude has a better looking career than someone like dion Lewis. 

Exactly. He's been a fantasy season PPR RB1 2 of the past 3 seasons, and has been top-5 in RZ carries over the past 3 seasons. Still the highest paid RB on the roster.

27 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

He's been over hyped more than once.

37 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

He's been over hyped more than once.

When was the last time he was over-hyped?

ESPN Vikings reporter Courtney Cronin said coaches haven't really shed light on how much they'll divide the workload between Cook and veteran backup Latavius Murray. But it's possible Cook's touches could gradually increase as the season starts up, according to Cronin. So the first few weeks might not be the best indicator of his long-term impact.

Cronin also said it's possible Murray could be used a lot inside the 5-yard line -- which is a strength of his -- to help alleviate some of the stress on Cook. But on a positive note for Cook's workload, she expects to see both Cook and Murray used as receivers in new coordinator John DeFilippo's creative offense -- sometimes both on the field at the same time, with one in the backfield and one in the slot.