Sign in to follow this  
FouLLine

Tyler Freeman - SS CLE

Tyler Freeman was taken in the 2nd round (71st overall) by the Cleveland Indians in 2017.  

After an average season last year in rookie ball Tyler Freeman seems to be breaking out in a big way.  Right now he's looking like the by far best hitter in the NYPL (short season) and is doing so at only 19 years old (most players here are 21 out of college).

In 52 games Freeman is slashing .374 / .424 / .550 for a .974 OPS.  His OPS is 33 points higher than the next highest qualified hitter in the NYPL.  Freeman is leading The NYPL in AB, H, 2B, TB, AVG, SLG.  All while doing all this Tyler Freeman only strikes out 9.62% of the time.  Granted his walk rate is very low and could use some improvement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Interestingly, he's also the grandson of one Morgan Freeman.

Tyler Freeman went 1 for 2 with a BB today hitting 2 in the NYPL All-Star Game.  I also heard that when Tyler Freeman was a senior in highschool (the year he was drafted) he had supposedly had the highest batting average in the state of California.... Dude can flat out hit.  There are a lot of scouts saying he'll be Michael Young but a better hitter.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 10:45 AM, 2ndCitySox said:

Interestingly, he's also the grandson of one Morgan Freeman.

Imagine Morgan Freeman as a baseball play by play guy. I’d listen to every Indians game. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, tootallball said:

Imagine Morgan Freeman as a baseball play by play guy. I’d listen to every Indians game. 

Picture this in his soothing, measured tone of voice: "And Tyler drove that ball so deep into the night you could swear it resembled a comet entering the Earth's atmosphere.... only this one was leaving. And as he completed his trot around the base paths, it was as if he ceased to be part of the diamond.... and became the diamond itself".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

Picture this in his soothing, measured tone of voice: "And Tyler drove that ball so deep into the night you could swear it resembled a comet entering the Earth's atmosphere.... only this one was leaving. And as he completed his trot around the base paths, it was as if he ceased to be part of the diamond.... and became the diamond itself".

His walk-up music is just going to be Morgan Freeman talking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3/4 with a double and a SB last night ... Why haven't they promoted this guy yet?

4 hours ago, FouLLine said:

3/4 with a double and a SB last night ... Why haven't they promoted this guy yet?

He hasn't met Andy in Zihuatanejo yet 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

He hasn't met Andy in Zihuatanejo yet 

I remember reading a few years back how that town boomed with tourism a few years after it was mentioned in Shawshank.

Tyler going under the radar, having a nice season thus far in the Midwest league (A).

Batting .324 with 7-2B, 1-3B, 1-HR, and 14-RBI. 11BB to 5SO. 8SB with 1CS. wRC+ 180.

Seeing most time at SS but also at 2B.  

• Like 1

I feel like Freeman is going to be a huge riser this year. Has a shot to be top 25 by year's end honestly, thats the upside. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

Jumped on the boat last year and I'm expecting big things. I'm just hoping he grows into 15ish HR power

I love his batted ball profile. He's not one of those guys hitting 50% ground balls with a 3 swstr%. It's early, but if the changes stick it could be huuuuge for his power potential. His hit tool is amazing and you know those guys are always going to maximize their power. 

Especially if he keeps lifting the ball like he is this year. 7 doubles & a triple is a great sign.