ozark

O.J. Howard 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, Motown_Magic said:

The potential QB change in a few weeks does make me wary. Or will it not even happen due to how electric ol Fitzpatrick has been?

I definitely understand OJ's upside and athleticism while taking into account positional scarcity .. Debating dropping Doyle for him but worried about Howard's potentially low floor to go with a QB change 

Barring a meltdown there is no way the Bucs put Winston back in. 

I'm getting the feeling this is the last week to buy in before he's a top 5 TE that is basically Gronk Jr.

• Like 3

Be to much to ask for another target or two? This  guy is freaking insanely efficient! But gotta have more targets to reach his incredible potential.

The snap counts and routes run are good.  The talent is there.  Giddyup imo.

Not sure how he can breakout with Brate still there eating snaps. He is not going to get a TD or big gain with his three catches every game

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

So, what's the story with this guy? Is he a breakout candidate, or is this more of an anomaly? 

He's a TE1 at this point. As long as the ball keeps getting spread around he'll be fine. The only problem is he doesn't get a good share of targets due to Evans, Jackson, and Godwin. I had him but ran into some injury issues in Week 1 so I had to drop him and decided to keep Doyle. He was just picked off waivers today. In hindsight I would have kept Howard but who would have predicted this TB offense going off? Brate was also a concern. It still may be depending on who is starting at QB throughout the season. Winston seemed to like Brate more when he was starting.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

I am starting him over Burton this week, lets hope OJ produces.

ditto

3 hours ago, The G Man said:

So, what's the story with this guy? Is he a breakout candidate, or is this more of an anomaly? 

Just picked him up. It's wheels up at time. As long as this Tampa offense is producing at a top-3 efficiency, you need to start this guy. Everyone else is just a floor play at that level of tight end streaming. At least this guy has a sky-high week winning ceiling.

He's a TE1. Start him.

32 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

I am starting him over Burton this week, lets hope OJ produces.

Same scenario for me. 

OJ TIME!!!!

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Not sure how he can breakout with Brate still there eating snaps. He is not going to get a TD or big gain with his three catches every game

I'm not sure where you are getting this notion that he is eating snaps away from Juice. He's the clear #2 tight end on the team, with 0 catches week 1 and 0 targets/receptions last week. Howard played 46 (79%) snaps this week and Brate played 14 (24%), compared to 43 {63% of snaps) and 24 (36%) respectively week 1.

Howard is a better blocker, better receiver, and more athletic. Brate is a non-factor at this point. 

• Thanks 2

Waited on TE in the draft, picked him up as a FA this morning.  Hopefully I can stop cycling TE's!

• Like 1

Unless I misunderstood his contract, Brate seems to have been signed as insurance against Howard's development and can be let go next season without much penalty. OJ seems to be taking full advantage of his opportunities and should beat out Brate for the starting job pretty handily.

Happily grabbed him this week in both leagues, one of which is a dynasty. Pretty excited.

• Like 1

Are you guys concerned about his lack of targets (i know there's lots of mouths to feed) or are you just going to ride the gun-slinging Fitzpatrick 

8 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Are you guys concerned about his lack of targets

More targets would of course be ideal, but he has the talent to make the most of whatever he gets. As long as he's getting a few a game he should be fine as a mid-range TE1 with as much upside as really anybody at the position.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Are you guys concerned about his lack of targets (i know there's lots of mouths to feed) or are you just going to ride the gun-slinging Fitzpatrick 

Howard outsnapped Brate 88-38 in the first two games, is a good blocker and runs a lot of routes in a pass-only offense. The targets will come. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Ride the ship til it sinks. Even after Fitz int (which was Howards fault for not holding on, looked like a fumble really) he still looked for him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

I'm not sure where you are getting this notion that he is eating snaps away from Juice. He's the clear #2 tight end on the team, with 0 catches week 1 and 0 targets/receptions last week. Howard played 46 (79%) snaps this week and Brate played 14 (24%), compared to 43 {63% of snaps) and 24 (36%) respectively week 1.

Howard is a better blocker, better receiver, and more athletic. Brate is a non-factor at this point. 

That's around about what I was going to type, but you did it better.  Nice work.

The conventional wisdom going into the season was that OJ Howard is worthless because he is going to split time with Brate.  Jameis Winston seems to love throwing it to Brate, and Brate got a fat contract.  But I studied both players carefully, and of course Winston's preferences are entirely irrelevant now and may continue to be going forward.  I concluded that Howard is the far superior player as compared to Brate, and that Howard would likely overtake Brate this year.  I did not know it was going to happen this quickly, though.  Glad I purchased OJ at auction and held on for dear life after his week 1 game.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

How long until we can start making jokes about orange juice?

I nabbed him in a PPR league, but I'm still pretty excited. From what I'm reading, he had breakout potential which is apparently happening. Lack of targets is worrisome--a bit anyway--but one has to think they will be going to him much more in coming weeks...no?

4 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

You mean like the 75 yard TD he got last week?  Are you trolling or trying to make a joke?

the floor is very very scary... low targets. Fitzpatrick likes throwing to WR's, not so much TE's. Evans, Godwin, Jackson all take first priority over Howard. Brutal schedule too. He should feast this week but after that, faces teams that are all very good at eliminating the TE

• Like 1

I took a flyer on him as my 2nd TE.  I really like the talent, but there are a lot of mouths to feed in the passing game down there, including at TE, so I'm not sure how much production can be expected on a consistent basis.  Brate is a solid TE, and from a fantasy standpoint it's almost a shame that both are in this situation.  Each would be TE1 options were they on separate teams.  With TE being a wasteland OJH is totally worth a flyer.  I'm just not sure there's enough opportunity to match the talent.