tonycpsu

2018 "Cool Story, Bro!" Thread

24 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

20181114_124930.png

21 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

20181114_125351.png

24 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Satisfied? 

you do realize it was meant in a euphemistic sense, no?  just having a go at ya ... 

that being said - kudos to you for navigating the season so successfully w/out your first round pick.  respect, bruddah ... gl the rest of the way. 

This will be long, but feel like sharing bc fantasy will never get better for me.  League structure is very complicated and has been ongoing since 2002.  Auction keeper league, 200 salary cap.  Players can be kept for a max of 3 seasons, each season a player's salary moves up by 20% (rounding up to nearest integer).  12 teams, weekly FA pickups done by blind auction.  18 roster spots.  3 divisions, 4 playoff teams - division winners and 1 wild card.  Non-PPR, bonuses for 100+ and 200+ Re/Ru yards and 300+ and 450+ pass yards.

After having 0 titles despite 6 playoff appearances, last year I went 12-2 and won the title on the back of Gurley, MG3, Hopkins, and Jordan Howard as my flex.  Got lucky with decent value on Gurley and Hopkins coming off down seasons.  Came into this year with 175 out of my 200 cap space already spent and got Big Ben as my QB.  This has been a dream season, 10-0 and wrecking the league  - if I'd played every team every week (best measure of a team, IMO) my record would be 100-10.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by trilly
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

you do realize it was meant in a euphemistic sense, no?  just having a go at ya ... 

that being said - kudos to you for navigating the season so successfully w/out your first round pick.  respect, bruddah ... gl the rest of the way. 

I lost Freeman as well. The only guy who beat me is effing Heisberg. 

32 minutes ago, trilly said:

This will be long, but feel like sharing bc fantasy will never get better for me.  League structure is very complicated and has been ongoing since 2002.  Auction keeper league, 200 salary cap.  Players can be kept for a max of 3 seasons, each season a player's salary moves up by 20% (rounding up to nearest integer).  12 teams, weekly FA pickups done by blind auction.  18 roster spots.  3 divisions, 4 playoff teams - division winners and 1 wild card.  Non-PPR, bonuses for 100+ and 200+ Re/Ru yards and 300+ and 450+ pass yards.

After having 0 titles despite 6 playoff appearances, last year I went 12-2 and won the title on the back of Gurley, MG3, Hopkins, and Jordan Howard as my flex.  Got lucky with decent value on Gurley and Hopkins coming off down seasons.  Came into this year with 175 out of my 200 cap space already spent and got Big Ben as my QB.  This has been a dream season, 10-0 and wrecking the league  - if I'd played every team every week (best measure of a team, IMO) my record would be 100-10.

Thanks for reading.

This gives me hope in my big money league that I've been in for the past 10 seasons. Runner up twice, third place once, playoffs about 6 times. I've been shafted at every turn, but I will win this league. Probably not this year, since I'm hanging on by a thread, but god damn it I'll win before I ever quit.

41 minutes ago, trilly said:

Thanks for reading.

That's crazy. I'm 8-2 in my league and doing the math, I am 63-27 against every team every week and I have an absolutely stacked lineup of Barkley, Conner, Chubb, Julio, Diggs, Woods

5 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

That's crazy. I'm 8-2 in my league and doing the math, I am 63-27 against every team every week and I have an absolutely stacked lineup of Barkley, Conner, Chubb, Julio, Diggs, Woods

I just did the same math and I'm 73-37 vs. everybody, but I'm 5-5. It's been a rough year, other teams have been having their best weeks against me consistently.

23 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I lost Freeman as well. The only guy who beat me is effing Heisberg. 

Heisberg? that bastid!!1!  

we got your back here on the bored, let's go win a 'chip - eff that strudel smokin' charlatan!

7 minutes ago, HandSchaub said:

I just did the same math and I'm 73-37 vs. everybody, but I'm 5-5. It's been a rough year, other teams have been having their best weeks against me consistently.

Truth is that we know how much luck the playoffs can be.  The goal is def to get in and hope for the best. 

In the history of our league the best regular season ever was 123-31, or 79.9%.  That happened in the 2nd season of the league and I never thought it would be touchable.  There have been a few other seasons above 77%, and obviously my 90.9% rate is a best ever pace, although I'll fall off a little when I have Gurley, Woods, Zuerlein, and the Rams D on bye in week 12.  But I only need to win 24 of my remaining 44 matchups to overtake it so odds are in my favor.

As you can tell I'm a statistical dork about the league (my excel is exhaustive), and the wildest number is that I'm averaging 139 pts/week where the avg. is 104 and a standard deviation of 25.  My worst week has been 115, best week 177.9.  Not that it matters, but my opponents have been below avg against me so my avg. margin of victory is 45 points which is funny.

Side note, it's wild how much scoring is up this year - my league average was 91 last year, this 13 pt jump is even higher than when we finally added a flex in 2012!

1 minute ago, trilly said:

Truth is that we know how much luck the playoffs can be.  The goal is def to get in and hope for the best. 

In the history of our league the best regular season ever was 123-31, or 79.9%.  That happened in the 2nd season of the league and I never thought it would be touchable.  There have been a few other seasons above 77%, and obviously my 90.9% rate is a best ever pace, although I'll fall off a little when I have Gurley, Woods, Zuerlein, and the Rams D on bye in week 12.  But I only need to win 24 of my remaining 44 matchups to overtake it so odds are in my favor.

As you can tell I'm a statistical dork about the league (my excel is exhaustive), and the wildest number is that I'm averaging 139 pts/week where the avg. is 104 and a standard deviation of 25.  My worst week has been 115, best week 177.9.  Not that it matters, but my opponents have been below avg against me so my avg. margin of victory is 45 points which is funny.

Side note, it's wild how much scoring is up this year - my league average was 91 last year, this 13 pt jump is even higher than when we finally added a flex in 2012!

Yup! That's what I'm banking on. 7-6 buys a playoff spot in this league so that's the magic number I'm hoping to get, to make it 4 straight playoff appearances.

Scoring is wild. There's been 4 different players to drop 200+ points in a week (we have a full PPR, 3 WR spots and a flex), which I have never seen before. One of those players had three straight 200+ point weeks (one of them was 230 points against me, when I had 170ish), it's been absurd.

8 minutes ago, HandSchaub said:

Yup! That's what I'm banking on. 7-6 buys a playoff spot in this league so that's the magic number I'm hoping to get, to make it 4 straight playoff appearances.

Scoring is wild. There's been 4 different players to drop 200+ points in a week (we have a full PPR, 3 WR spots and a flex), which I have never seen before. One of those players had three straight 200+ point weeks (one of them was 230 points against me, when I had 170ish), it's been absurd.

Rams, Chiefs, Saints and to a smaller degree Pittsburgh are probably the biggest contributors to that point upswing. A lot of those offenses supporting 3-4 top 10 options at their respective positions.

Edited by WaiverLooter

2 hours ago, HandSchaub said:

Also interesting - since 6 of 12 teams get into the playoffs, that increases the randomness so you should feel less bad about not having won it yet.  Get into the playoffs enough and it's likely to happen eventually!

• Like 1

Been trying to get a third solid wr to go  with brown and Ty. Someone dropped MVS yesterday to get a d to play for NE d(idk why they wanna keep that lol).

So anyways I’m 8-2, and praying that 9th claim gets him. Since If so one of him/suttOn/or Tate has gotten become a solid wr3, hopefully ??.

17 hours ago, trilly said:

if I'd played every team every week (best measure of a team, IMO)

that's an interresting measurement.

I'd be 140-10 (16 team league)

16 hours ago, HandSchaub said:

Join CBS and let them do the math for you.  

29 minutes ago, jgardner827 said:

Been trying to get a third solid wr to go  with brown and Ty. Someone dropped MVS yesterday to get a d to play for NE d(idk why they wanna keep that lol).

So anyways I’m 8-2, and praying that 9th claim gets him. Since If so one of him/suttOn/or Tate has gotten become a solid wr3, hopefully ??.

The Patriots D has the Bills championship week, the Jets next week and Miami Week 14. If i was good elsewhere i'd be holding on to them too.

This is an incredibly trivial and deeply uncool story (bro) but I was way too happy not to share.

We're a 20-teamer with not much on the wire, and people hoard D/STs if they possibly can. I have the Bengals and was not particularly happy about this week. I need to win the next three games with a lot of points scored to have a hope of the playoffs, so everything counts.

Only worthwhile D/STs on the wire were the Ravens and the Cards due to their byes last week (unless you wanted the Bucs or the Raiders? Didn't think so.) I have no FAAB left and min bid is $1, so no chance of getting either. Fortunately I am a nurse and usually wake up at 0430, so when I get up I realize it's just before 0432 - the time that ESPN processes waivers. I [F5], and lo and behold, the Cards are a free agent. Grab them instantly.

The Ravens went for $15 (Total FAAB was $100 at the beginning of the season). The Ravens guy preferred them over the Cards, but getting the Ravens cancelled his Cards bid. The other guys who lost out on the Ravens had only bid for them and not the Cards. When I expressed amazement that nobody bid on the Cards, one guy confessed that he had just completely forgotten to pick up a D/ST. Another guy had bid on them, but dropped the Bills D yesterday and it cancelled his bid - and he didn't notice :lol:.

Amazing luck. Of course, the Cards are now going to wet the bed, but I'm happy right now, and that's what counts.

Interesting metric. I'd be 70-40 in a 12-teamer, and I'm the highest-scoring team. But I'm 5-5 and fighting for the playoffs. 

What's interesting is just how lumpy my scores have been... Here's what I would be against the league, week-to-week:

11 0
8 3
5 6
3 8
10 1
11 0
0 11
9 2
11 0
2 9

Talk about a boom or bust in scoring. Averaging 135 pts/game, but my big weeks are BIG and my bad weeks are terrible. What killed me is that I lost week 2 (8-3 vs the league), and the week where I was middling, week 2, was also a loss.