tonycpsu

2018 "Cool Story, Bro!" Thread

15 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Interesting metric. I'd be 70-40 in a 12-teamer, and I'm the highest-scoring team. But I'm 5-5 and fighting for the playoffs. 

What's interesting is just how lumpy my scores have been... Here's what I would be against the league, week-to-week:

11 0
8 3
5 6
3 8
10 1
11 0
0 11
9 2
11 0
2 9

Talk about a boom or bust in scoring. Averaging 135 pts/game, but my big weeks are BIG and my bad weeks are terrible. What killed me is that I lost week 2 (8-3 vs the league), and the week where I was middling, week 2, was also a loss. 

I hate you guys for making me want to do this, but 85-25 seems pretty damn good in my 12 team league.  This team is 6-4.  Now I want to do this for my other 2 leagues but I'm too lazy.

10 1
7 4
10 1
5 6
10 1
11 0
8 3
11 0
11 0
2 9

My league is on CBS so it does it for me, but I nerd out my spreadsheet tracks a whole bunch of other stuff.

To me it makes sense as a measurement of a team bc it compares consistency and output within the framework of the league.

46 minutes ago, humanpuck said:

I hate you guys for making me want to do this, but 85-25 seems pretty damn good in my 12 team league.  This team is 6-4.  Now I want to do this for my other 2 leagues but I'm too lazy.

10 1
7 4
10 1
5 6
10 1
11 0
8 3
11 0
11 0
2 9

Not my team but another team in my league

6                5

4                7

7                4

5                6

7                4

6                5

8                3

9                2

11              0

10              1

Worst finish all season is #7 and 8 out of 10 weeks are above average. This team is 3-7.

37 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Not my team but another team in my league

6                5

4                7

7                4

5                6

7                4

6                5

8                3

9                2

11              0

10              1

Worst finish all season is #7 and 8 out of 10 weeks are above average. This team is 3-7.

This poor bastards PA must be so high

7 hours ago, humanpuck said:

10 1
7 4
10 1
5 6
10 1
11 0
8 3
11 0
11 0
2 9

You guys piqued my interest so I tallied my 10 and 12 team leagues and found that the amount of wins should be very close to the weeks you would of had a winning record against the rest of your league give or take a win or loss (luck factor).  In my 10 teamer, I am 8-2 and I had a winning record exactly 8 times against my league (60-30), In my 12 teamer I am 7-3 and I had a winning record 5 times against my league(73-37).  I may have gotten lucky a couple weeks in my 12 teamer by beating one of the lower scorers when I didn't have a great week, but at the same time I have scored the most points so far this year by over 100 to the next team.  

Good exercise, gives you much better perspective on where how your team is performing compared to your league mates.

12 teamer 8-2  @  81 - 29

1st in PF, 6th in PA

12 teamer 9 -1   @ 77 - 33

2nd in PF, 10th in PA

4 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Good exercise, gives you much better perspective on where how your team is performing compared to your league mates.

12 teamer 8-2  @  81 - 29

1st in PF, 6th in PA

12 teamer 9 -1   @ 77 - 33

2nd in PF, 10th in PA

Nice work. 

14 Teamer 

8-2 

99-31 (.761) 

6 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Nice work. 

14 Teamer 

8-2 

99-31 (.761) 

Can somebody that's 2-8 post one of these?  Seems like everyone is crushing their leagues.

1 hour ago, humanpuck said:

Can somebody that's 2-8 post one of these?  Seems like everyone is crushing their leagues.

We're unlikely to see that in the cool story, bro thread lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trilly said:

We're unlikely to see that in the cool story, bro thread lol

haha, valid point, maybe we need to post it the vent/rant thread, lol

3 hours ago, humanpuck said:

Gamblers are notorious liars

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Gamblers are notorious liars

Good point, I always "break even"

No because being 2-8 is for scrubs.

How about 4-6 in an 8-team league? 2nd in points. 2nd in PA. Currently 41-28-1 against the whole league, but fighting like hell just to make the playoffs.

5 2  
3 4  
3 4  
2 5  
7 0  
5 2  
2 5  
6 0 1
5 2  
3 4  

One of the things that's killing me is that weeks 1 and 9, when I was 5-2 against the league, I was facing one of those 2 so those were losses. 

2 hours ago, bwarbiany said:

How about 4-6 in an 8-team league? 2nd in points. 2nd in PA. Currently 41-28-1 against the whole league, but fighting like hell just to make the playoffs.

5 2  
3 4  
3 4  
2 5  
7 0  
5 2  
2 5  
6 0 1
5 2  
3 4  

One of the things that's killing me is that weeks 1 and 9, when I was 5-2 against the league, I was facing one of those 2 so those were losses. 

Yup this is just crap luck.

Yeah, if you play long enough you'll see all sorts of bad and good luck.  I've seen a 50% team go 10-4 and a 35% team make the playoffs due to being a weak division.  

To each his own, some fun rivalries and trash talking have developed between some teams over the years and it makes scheduling easy - play each team in your division twice, play everyone else once.  We also mix up divisions every few years to keep things fresh.

3 minutes ago, trilly said:

Yeah, if you play long enough you'll see all sorts of bad and good luck.  I've seen a 50% team go 10-4 and a 35% team make the playoffs due to being a weak division.  

I never understand why people play in divisions in FANTASY football.  There are few reason to have divisions but in 99% of the time it makes no sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trilly said:

To each his own, some fun rivalries and trash talking have developed between some teams over the years and it makes scheduling easy - play each team in your division twice, play everyone else once.  We also mix up divisions every few years to keep things fresh.

Lol then why have divisions in the first place.  We play each team once and then have a "rivalry week" where we play one of the teams again.  Works fine but having a better team be left out of playoffs because he was in a tougher division makes 0 sense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Lol then why have divisions in the first place.  We play each team once and then have a "rivalry week" where we play one of the teams again.  Works fine but having a better team be left out of playoffs because he was in a tougher division makes 0 sense. 

Yeah, one of the leagues I'm in has divisions, but for playoff purposes, top 4 teams make it regardless of division, which still makes having them kinda pointless, lol

I don't recall the original logic when we set it up back in 2002, but no one's really complained about it and it's never been a big deal - it's a rare occurrence where an unwarranted team slid in due to a weak division, hence the lack of complaints

Edited by trilly

24 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Divisions in fantasy football is so stupid

Seriously. I'm 8-2 and may not get a first week bye despite being two games ahead of the 3rd place team.