Sign in to follow this  
The 7th Beatles

Michael Kopech 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT:  Jesus Luzardo says hi.

Kopech had Boston completely off stride in his last game.  They were just showing some signs of starting to figure him out and getting their timing down with him when Chicago's manager rightfully pulled him leaving Kopech with a great outing to continue to move forward with.  This is how a manager should handle a young pitcher.  Kudos for that move.

Did you watch the game or are you just trying to make it seem like you did? They removed him because there was a long rain delay man. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gus Chiggins said:

Did you watch the game or are you just trying to make it seem like you did? They removed him because there was a long rain delay man. 

Yeah me bad.  Was thinking of the game before.

Wow, got to be kidding me, 7 ERs in 3 IP delay or not. 

Can’t the game still be cancelled?  With less than a month in the season, I’m not as concerned about the drop in velocity....

The drop seems a combination of tired arm and wanting to tame the wildness. Cooper does it with all the starters. ReyLo can throw 99-100 but usually works 93-96. Rodon about the same. Both rarely push it to 98-99 these days, maybe once or twice a game. Kopech was throwing 99-101 just two months ago so it's not a worry to me. The K/BB is still fab -- the White Sox just need to figure out sequencing with him. Anyway every so-so or poor start down the stretch means he'll be cheaper next year in re-drafts :)

Yeah, sorry guys. While watching it had the look of TJ. He wasn’t holding back and there was nothing there. 

This happens so often to pitchers that we almost get desensitized to it, but this guy was really looking like he was putting it all together with the improvements in control in addition to the unquestionable power pitcher profile.  Was getting talked about as the next Thor or Scherzer.  Really tough for the kid, and the Sox who lose a key piece of their rebuild for a while.

Too many pitches too soon in travel ball these days. 

Over use at a young age for fireball arms bc some yodel coach wants travel ball glory. 

Sad

• Like 1

We can't have anything nice. At least it's now and not in 2020 when I hope they compete. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Too many pitches too soon in travel ball these days. 

Over use at a young age for fireball arms bc some yodel coach wants travel ball glory. 

Sad

Over use or coddling?  Used to be pitchers would throw 250-300 IPs a year in the 60's and 70's.  Now they have to be brought up to handle 170 let alone 200+.  Obviously over use is not a good thing, but not building up stamina and strength and arm conditioning because of pitch counts and babying top prospects is imo having negative effects as well, esp. when you factor in today's obsession with fastball velocity.  I dare say someone like Jamie Moyer would not even get a try out these days.  I do not know the answer to all this, but obviously too many guys are getting injuries despite all the attempts to prevent them that something is not being done right imo.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Thanks 1

White Sox system has been so unlucky with injuries among their top prospects. Just off the top of my head Hansen, Burger, Robert, Dunning, Burdi, Adolfo and now Kopech have all missed a lot of time with injuries. 

At least Cease already had his TJS, I guess. 

21 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Over use or coddling?  Used to be pitchers would throw 250-300 IPs a year in the 60's and 70's.  Now they have to be brought up to handle 170 let alone 200+.  Obviously over use is not a good thing, but not building up stamina and strength and arm conditioning because of pitch counts and babying top prospects is imo having negative effects as well, esp. when you factor in today's obsession with fastball velocity.  I dare say someone like Jamie Moyer would not even get a try out these days.  I do not know the answer to all this, but obviously too many guys are getting injuries despite all the attempts to prevent them that something is not being done right imo.

30 every single MLB team is doing it wrong?

Depressing & horrible news! Now he's shot for the playoffs & probably no good in my keeper... This crushes me from multiple angles. Horrible news :*(

57 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

30 every single MLB team is doing it wrong?

Sorry I meant so, not 30

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

And its in the post you're replying to that you seemed to ignore. He's saying pitchers now do travel ball and start throwing 3-5 innings when they're just becoming teen's instead of starting during varsity high school, college etc where your body is more developed.

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Sorry I meant so, not 30

Possibly with the way the injuries continue to happen. I don’t think anyone is doing it right. 

12 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Possibly with the way the injuries continue to happen. I don’t think anyone is doing it right. 

Could be. I do think a lot of it has to do with the non-stop baseball kids/teens/amateurs do these days. Plus, to impress those scouts, you need high velocity pitches, which can sacrifice good form and mechanics. 

Combine the two and you have a recipe for lots of 20-sometings needing tjs

• Like 1