Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Little Birdie

Josh James - SP HOU

Never heard of this guy but just read this article from Yahoo...

If you just lost Lance McCullers for about a month, there probably are not attractive options out there, especially when it comes to replacing his strikeouts. But the Astros have an out-of-nowhere, out-of-this-world prospect who is on McCullers’s schedule and has even better stuff. Josh James, who has been added to the Yahoo player pool, is 25 years old. No one had him ranked near the top of any organizational ranks, never mind overall ones. But he’s simply one of the most dominant starters in the high minors.

Check out his overall stats and last 10 starts and especially his last two outings. This guy is lights out. He has 87 Ks in his last 56 innings — all in AAA. Overall in 77.1 PCL innings, 116 punch outs. Yes, the control is problematic, coming and going but definitely coming the last two starts. He’s legit. Check out his stuff.

And here’s what MinorLeagueBall had to say about James after that outing:

“Now he’s unhittable. Over the last year his fastball has improved dramatically, going from a pedestrian 90-92 MPH up to 95-97 with higher peaks. His slider was rather flat when drafted but it has sharpened up and is now at least average, flashing plus. His change-up has also improved although it isn’t as good as the harder pitches.”

One of the reasons James has suddenly emerged is reportedly an ability to finally sleep soundly with the help of a sleep apnea machine. Being better rested is cited as the reason his fastball his jumped from low to high 90s on average, often hitting triple digits. He might not even get the call, but I think it’s likely. And if he does, he’ll be managed very conservatively, which I like. He won’t need innings to get you playable strikeout totals with a decent chance to win given he’d be pitching for the World Champs.

......anyone keeping an eye on this dude?

• Like 2

my question is, how do the "non fastball" pitches play up at the MLB level?  Devastating fastball, but is it enough?

On 8/21/2018 at 7:01 PM, JohnR said:

my question is, how do the "non fastball" pitches play up at the MLB level?  Devastating fastball, but is it enough?

That is a very good question.  Obviously he got the strikeout in that video on a breaking pitch, but he is definitely someone we know very little about.  Aside from his walks being a hair high, his numbers themselves look pretty good.  Considering he's almost guaranteed to make a spot start at some point, he's an interesting one, but more info would never be a bad thing.

James needs to be added to the 40-man roster to be protected from the Rule-5 Draft and rosters expand on Saturday, so it would be pretty stupid to call him up (if they do right away) but do a bullpen day instead.  They don't expect Morton to be out long, so it's not like James would get more than one start probably, but it's still the more logical approach in my opinion than guarantee you waste your bullpen.  Plus, while it was only for a third of an inning, Peacock pitched today.

Scheduled to pitch tomorrow with Fresno AAA. Currently astros have no pitcher scheduled for tomorrow. #thingsthatmakeyousayhmmmm

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BCMarch10 said:

He still hasn't been added to the player pool in ESPN.  Wakeup ESPN... the baseball season is still in play...

This is frustrating. I was hoping to put my claim in and have him today or tomorrow. Is there a way to contact ESPN about this? 

I like James.  Mostly unheralded prospect with a big arm.  His control and secondary pitches definitely need work, but he's a guy who can easily top his projection this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

I like James.  Mostly unheralded prospect with a big arm.  His control and secondary pitches definitely need work, but he's a guy who can easily top his projection this year.

I don't know if I should be scared, but I think you and I finally agree on something. Cost permitting, I hope to have 100% of shares of him across my drafts.

21 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I don't know if I should be scared, but I think you and I finally agree on something. Cost permitting, I hope to have 100% of shares of him across my drafts.

Can't disagree with everything lol.   Plus if all we really disagree with is the stupid hype for Vlad (seriously being hyped more than Trout was coming up) then I'm sure we'll be ok.

If they’ve played any games in the majors you can start a 2019 thread in the main forum. Probably a better place for the discussion since he’s getting drafted in most leagues. 

He seems good! Also just having Astros pitchers seems smart.