Rotoworld.com Forums

James Conner 2018 Outlook

sjm76

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, atdharris said:

That's fine and all, but if this is some sort of multi-week injury, I think we'd have heard something by now...MRI, rumors, something. All we've heard is that Conner will be fine.

Has schefter reported anything?

Rapaport seems to be wrong a lot

6 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Has schefter reported anything?

Rapaport seems to be wrong a lot

No, but again, no news is a good sign. Usually, if a player with the stature of Conner is hurt, we would know by now that he was at risk of missing time/there would be an MRI done on the injury. Outside of here, there has been little to no news that he's facing a week or multi-week absence. If the Steelers were concerned there was damage to his knee, there would be an MRI. We'd surely know about it. 

The signing of the practice squad guy could mean a lot of things. Switzer is also in protocol and has not been cleared. 

1 minute ago, TheAuthorityHere said:

Nobody that matters has said Conner will be fine.

Has anyone that matters say that he wouldn't be fine? That there was an MRI coming? That the Steelers were concerned he'd miss time? The Steelers are now fighting for a playoff spot, so they won't just play it safe and sit him if he's able to play this week. 

2 minutes ago, TheAuthorityHere said:

Nobody that matters has said Conner will be fine.

Actually everybody that matters has said he avoided a major injury. Beat writers, Tomlin, his own backup, Rappaport. So I have no clue what you are talking about. Fine could still mean a one week injury. The only person who said HAS was Dr Chao who diagnosed him from a video.

8 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Actually everybody that matters has said he avoided a major injury. Beat writers, Tomlin, his own backup, Rappaport. So I have no clue what you are talking about. Fine could still mean a one week injury. The only person who said HAS was Dr Chao who diagnosed him from a video.

Avoiding a major injury and being fine are two different things. Especially when talking about it in fantasy football terms. If he misses two weeks and comes back, that’s a major injury for FF owners.

48 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

They just activated trey edmunds off the practice squad. 

26 minutes ago, potatoetree said:

I think this also might be related to injuries to  Switzer (concussion protocol) and Hunter (now on IR).

Probably not, Hunter wasn't playing special teams.  Switzer was, but Switzer does returns, Edmunds does kick coverage.

This is likely related to Conner, even if it's precautionary.

So what do you guys think, Samuels or Justin Jackson if Conner sits? I’m a Steelers fan. Not convinced Samuels plays the role. He’s never really been a running back. He should get the touches though. Justin Jackson has yet to get 10 carries, but gets a soft as butter bengals defense, chargers should go up early and stay up. Giving Jackson plenty of run, Ekeler is the pass catching back. Don’t see them throwing much. Obviously it’s the playoffs for us Conner owners, so this is tough. I don’t think he plays this week. I’d almost rather he didn’t if he’s hurt. I don’t want to start him just to get 5 carries and then leave the game. 

2 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

So what do you guys think, Samuels or Justin Jackson if Conner sits? I’m a Steelers fan. Not convinced Samuels plays the role. He’s never really been a running back. He should get the touches though. Justin Jackson has yet to get 10 carries, but gets a soft as butter bengals defense, chargers should go up early and stay up. Giving Jackson plenty of run, Ekeler is the pass catching back. Don’t see them throwing much. Obviously it’s the playoffs for us Conner owners, so this is tough. I don’t think he plays this week. I’d almost rather he didn’t if he’s hurt. I don’t want to start him just to get 5 carries and then leave the game. 

Well luckily you have both players in the same time slot. You won’t have to make a quick decision and can wait it out. 

There may may be a chance gordon plays but I doubt it

13 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Well luckily you have both players in the same time slot. You won’t have to make a quick decision and can wait it out. 

There may may be a chance gordon plays but I doubt it

I know that’s my only saving grace. I play the guy with the chiefs too of course, mahomes kelce hill ware. He’s a chiefs fan lol, looks good this year. I need a big week. I have Big Ben Conner McCaffrey Hopkins juju woods and Cameron brate. I might be outmatched this week. 

17 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I'd be ok playing Samuels as a TE if you have that option, but if Conner sits, I'll play someone else. Samuels was never a 3 down back at NC State and I really think if Conner is out, it will be a split between Samuels and Ridley. I think it's a stretch to assume he'll just become an RB1 if he starts. Conner, like Bell, is a great RB. I think Samuels would be serviceable but I think we need to pump the breaks some. 

don't be counting on Conner this week ... all the justifying and rationalizing and patting each other on the back that "NO ONE SAID HE'S REALLY HURT, THO!!!1!1!" doesn't matter for one shaved rat's nutsack. 

i think he sits, but ... even if he does suit up you'd be a gotdamn foo' to trust him with coin on the line. 

6 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

When was the last time a 3rd string RB became a viable fantasy option in replacing a RB1?

I can remember Spencer Ware or Charknado in 2015 when Jamaal Charles went down. Depends on who you think was the 3rd string. Ware got the first crack at starting job but West dominated carries after 2 games.

8 minutes ago, atdharris said:

I'd be ok playing Samuels as a TE if you have that option, but if Conner sits, I'll play someone else. Samuels was never a 3 down back at NC State and I really think if Conner is out, it will be a split between Samuels and Ridley. I think it's a stretch to assume he'll just become an RB1 if he starts. Conner, like Bell, is a great RB. I think Samuels would be serviceable but I think we need to pump the breaks some. 

Agree with this. Samuels can’t be trusted as an RB1 or RB2 in the play-offs. But considering how volatile the TE landscape has been this season, I’d be ecstatic at the opportunity to place a Pittsburgh starting RB in my TE slot at play-off time. I can’t even get a 10 pt floor out of any of my TE’s I’ve had all season.

8 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

I can remember Spencer Ware or Charknado in 2015 when Jamaal Charles went down. Depends on who you think was the 3rd string. Ware got the first crack at starting job but West dominated carries after 2 games.

You have this backwards. West was the one everyone ran to pick up and started but sucked and was overtaken by Ware.  ( I was a JC owner that year and was forced to start West ) 

Specific to Conner though, if hes even slightly injured they should hold him out because its the Raiders... 

Letting the backups have a game for some valuable reps is crucial for a long post season run.  With that said though, even if Conner is ruled out, I wouldnt be comfortable starting Samuels week 1 of playoffs.  No way even vs the Raiders. 

Archived