sjm76

James Conner 2018 Outlook

I hate that the Bell situation is still up in the air.

I love being on the Conner train but I am concerned that they will hurt each others value if/when Bell comes back. It pains me to think that Conner has been carrying my team some weeks and Fantasy owners will lose him when we need him the most (leading up to the playoffs/playoffs) and he may go from a RB1 to an RB2/flex in a few weeks. 

4 weeks ago I thought Conner would be on the short end of a 75/25 split with Bell. Some guys jumped on me and they were right. Now I believe it will be about a 50/50 split with the Steelers finding ways to get them both on the field at the same time. Maybe lining Bell up as a WR at times while JC is in the backfield. 

Still tough to gauge how it will all play out. I hate Bell! 

On a side note. Bell aside, is anyone considering benching him this week in Baltimore? 

I’ve thought about it but I don’t think I can pull the trigger. He’s been amazing lately but his last game against Baltimore was in Pitt and he was 9-19 rushing and 3-25 receiving. 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Under500Forever said:

I love being on the Conner train but I am concerned that they will hurt each others value if/when Bell comes back. It pains me to think that Conner has been carrying my team some weeks and Fantasy owners will lose him when we need him the most (leading up to the playoffs/playoffs) and he may go from a RB1 to an RB2/flex in a few weeks. 

4 weeks ago I thought Conner would be on the short end of a 75/25 split with Bell. Some guys jumped on me and they were right. Now I believe it will be about a 50/50 split with the Steelers finding ways to get them both on the field at the same time. Maybe lining Bell up as a WR at times while JC is in the backfield. 

On a side note. Bell aside, is anyone considering benching him this week in Baltimore? 

I’ve thought about it but I don’t think I can pull the trigger. He’s been amazing lately but his last game against Baltimore was in Pitt and he was 9-19 rushing and 3-25 receiving. 

Thanks 

Definitely not benching. Just not expecting too much. Volume is too much to ignore

• Like 2

Just now, oaklandy said:

Definitely not benching. Just not expecting too much. Volume is too much to ignore

This. Not expecting a monster game but the touches are their and they got off a bye and a big Win against the Browns.

2 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Thanks 

Hard to bench him but @ BAL is as tough as it gets.  Big Ben historically does not play all that well in Baltimore so I think you temper expectations.  He gets work in the passing game so it should give him a decent floor.

1 minute ago, ludawg23 said:

Hard to bench him but @ BAL is as tough as it gets.  Big Ben historically does not play all that well in Baltimore so I think you temper expectations.  He gets work in the passing game so it should give him a decent floor.

Mccaffrey did it this week ( he scored on the ground and through the air vs. Bal). Not gunna be easy to be productive, but it’s definitely not out of the question

Edited by oaklandy

Just now, ludawg23 said:

Yeah can't bench him, especially given Barkley, Mixon, DJ and Mack on bye. At worst, he's behind Gurley, Gordon, Zeke, Kamara and Hunt. Still a top 6 option.

Yea, I cannot afford to bench a top 8 RB. 

I don’t care where he is playing. He can have a monster day.

also, Baltimore has not been particularly great lately. 

I have one 12 team league where I own gurley conner ap chubb. I guess I could try chubb over conner but no way. If Chubb blows up and conner sucks oh well. If the steelers were smart they would take a 3rd from the jets and isaiah crowell for leveon. The jets would be dumb enough to do it. 

Just now, ilovepelas said:

I have one 12 team league where I own gurley conner ap chubb. I guess I could try chubb over conner but no way. If Chubb blows up and conner sucks oh well. If the steelers were smart they would take a 3rd from the jets and isaiah crowell for leveon. The jets would be dumb enough to do it. 

Honestly i always thought Jets were the likeliest destination in need of an elite RB to take pressure off the rookie qb with the necessary cap space

Fowler is doubling down on his previous stupidity.  I always thought he was a smart reporter.  Guess not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Fowler is doubling down on his previous stupidity.  I always thought he was a smart reporter.  Guess not.

What part?  I don't recall him giving a new guess on when Bell shows up.  Maybe I missed something.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ilovepelas said:

CsB

20 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

What part?  I don't recall him giving a new guess on when Bell shows up.  Maybe I missed something.

Fowler is still talking about a possible trade and whether the Steelers may decide to drop their request for a roster exemption if Bell shows up in great shape.  Fowler just doesn't seem to get it--the Steelers are doing everything they can to keep Bell away.

• Thanks 1

Your teams must be incredibly loaded if you’re benching. And I thought my team where I have him is stacked

51 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Fowler is still talking about a possible trade and whether the Steelers may decide to drop their request for a roster exemption if Bell shows up in great shape.  Fowler just doesn't seem to get it--the Steelers are doing everything they can to keep Bell away.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Nobody knows what the Steelers want. Fowler seems to have new info including that Bell is amenable to the right type of trade and that despite Rooney’s comments, the Steelers are open to considering offers. Fowler was wrong before but this appears to be a collection of better researched facts from insiders on both sides. Nothing groundbreaking but just the facts. 

• Haha 1

Yep, could start Drake over Conner but won’t. Conner has such a high ceiling, you can’t sit him. Sure his floor is a little lower against Baltimore, but wasn’t Pittsburgh playing from behind in their 1st meeting?

It's week 9 and through 7 games, James Conner has 9 rushing touchdowns.  I'm surprised there's not any talk (maybe there is locally) about the historic value of Conner's season thus far and how bringing Bell in to take on half of the load would be unfair to a guy who is 5 TD away from breaking Franco Harris' team record of rushing TD's (15).  He's on pace for 21 TD's right now which would put him in a tie for the Top 6 single season TD's in NFL history.  Bringing Bell back into the fold and just giving the job to him after all he's done, would be robbing him of history.  Even giving them an even split would seemingly be unfair to what he's accomplished and on pace for.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It's week 9 and through 7 games, James Conner has 9 rushing touchdowns.  I'm surprised there's not any talk (maybe there is locally) about the historic value of Conner's season thus far and how bringing Bell in to take on half of the load would be unfair to a guy who is 5 TD away from breaking Franco Harris' team record of rushing TD's (15).  He's on pace for 21 TD's right now which would put him in a tie for the Top 6 single season TD's in NFL history.  Bringing Bell back into the fold and just giving the job to him after all he's done, would be robbing him of history.  Even giving them an even split would seemingly be unfair to what he's accomplished and on pace for.  

Not to mention Conner, at this point in their careers, is a better running back than Bell.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 7:37 PM, fruitjacket said:

You cannot bench Connor unless it's a BYE week or Bell is sharing time.  Period.

This...with bell back week, this could be his last high volume game

Just now, Dr. Whom said:

This...with bell back week, this could be his last high volume game

I doubt it.

• Like 1

Leveon Bell isn't playing this year, and the steelers arent going to franchise tag him next year. That's whats going to happen. Enjoy James Conner. Bell wont be back this year

• Like 1

Bell doesn't show up, Steelers don't tag him again next year. Could this agreement have been done under the table?