sjm76

James Conner 2018 Outlook

2 minutes ago, yeah!magnets! said:

Leveon Bell isn't playing this year, and the steelers arent going to franchise tag him next year. That's whats going to happen. Enjoy James Conner. Bell wont be back this year

1 minute ago, JuanSuarez said:

Bell doesn't show up, Steelers don't tag him again next year. Could this agreement have been done under the table?

Well, that is what the front page of RW is saying Mike Florio is speculating about. So if a website reporting on a guy speculating on something is a key clue, then we have a key clue. If not, we have speculation.

1 minute ago, Brotherbock said:

Well, that is what the front page of RW is saying Mike Florio is speculating about. So if a website reporting on a guy speculating on something is a key clue, then we have a key clue. If not, we have speculation.

True, but sometimes people are on these threads thinking their being detectives picking up clues day after day for 9 weeks, when really they just cant see the forest through the trees.

2 minutes ago, Brotherbock said:

Since neither side is really speaking definitively on the subject, it really seems like the may have worked out a compromise like this. It may be something that somehow violates the CBA so it would then make sense to not comment. It would explain why the situation has not gotten ugly between the FO, CS and Bell. The only people making noise are some teammates who would not be privy to such a compromise. 

Steelers would likely not give him an exclusive tag regardless next year. Hence why the Bell not showing up at all this year idea has wheels.

Transition tag could very well happen. Which gives them the draft pick compensation and allows Bell to negotiate a deal with another team. Giving Steelers the right to match the offer. (Which they likely wont)

• Like 1

Where can I find stats on his overall production? Missed tackles, yrds after contact ect... Basically where his skills matchup against other RBs this yr.

4 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Everyone wants to see the guy succeed. He has earned the spotlight. Super happy for him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Since neither side is really speaking definitively on the subject, it really seems like the may have worked out a compromise like this. It may be something that somehow violates the CBA so it would then make sense to not comment. It would explain why the situation has not gotten ugly between the FO, CS and Bell. The only people making noise are some teammates who would not be privy to such a compromise. 

It seems like it's possible. I don't know why this suddenly is the likely scenario. It's just the Flavor of the Week Scenario.

The term LEAGUE WINNER gets thrown around too often on these boards, often in facetious jest.  This guy is truly a league winner.  If I was able to snag him in the preseason, my season would be looking a whole lot different.

Interesting....

Holdout RB Le'Veon Bell remains away from the Steelers on Wednesday.

It's our routine Bell update, as the Steelers begin the work week in preparation for the Ravens. PFT's Mike Florio brought up an interesting thought Tuesday after Bell wasn't traded ahead of the trade deadline; perhaps the sides have a "wink-nod" agreement that if Bell doesn't show up at this year, the Steelers will agree not to re-tag him next spring and grant him the free agency he so badly craves. It's clear neither side wants anything to do with the other right now.

Oct 31 - 10:13 AM
  • Like 1

Anybody do the math yet and post what kind of numbers Bell had through 8 games last year and compare to Conner this year? 

Doesn't seem like the Steelers miss Bell AT ALL.

And Conner is so much cheaper.

This holdout is a win for the Steelers owner and organization.  It's a win for any keeper owners of Conner because he cost nothing or pennies this year.

• Like 1

This will be the third year in a row that Le'Veon Bell has won me some fantasy championships.  Lord's work, indeed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yeah...maybe.  Seems like another Florioism to me.  (Really, really dumb speculation using two or more logical leaps too many).

As for things getting ugly between the Steelers FO and Bell's camp?  Pretty sure what we are seeing now is that the situation has been ugly for a while now.  The Steelers are posting humiliating side-by-side comparisons of Bell's stats v. Conner's stats on their official media; meanwhile, Bell is quite literally trolling the Steelers.  Bell "liked" Fowler's comment about Bell showing up after the trade deadline, and then he didn't.

There is zero trust between Bell and the Steelers FO.  And trust is what would be needed for a wink wink type of deal.  Far more likely is that both sides are pissed, and digging their respective unreconcilable positions deeper than ever.

1 hour ago, Brotherbock said:

It seems like it's possible. I don't know why this suddenly is the likely scenario. It's just the Flavor of the Week Scenario.

It's actually been reported that if Bell doesn't play at all, the Steelers giving him the exclusive tag again automatically counts as a third tag, and incurs QB salaries [which would be insane for the Steelers to do].

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/17/17984660/the-leveon-bell-saga-separating-fact-from-fiction-news-rumors-holdout-franchise-tag-nfl-update

Now, it's somewhat unclear whether that's accurate. I read the relevant CBA portions and it seems legit, but I'm not a lawyer.

But if Bell or his agent has received confirmation from the NFL or the NFLPA that this is the case, I see at as likely that he stays away all season. He knows the Steelers can't afford to and won't want to give him an exclusive tag for >$20M in 2019. 

However, if the above is incorrect, then it's just a gamble that if he stays away they won't tag him again. I can't imagine the Steelers wanting to go through this again in 2019, so even without a wink/nod agreement the likelihood is low IMHO that they'd tag him again. 

1 hour ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Interesting....

It's our routine Bell update, as the Steelers begin the work week in preparation for the Ravens. PFT's Mike Florio brought up an interesting thought Tuesday after Bell wasn't traded ahead of the trade deadline; perhaps the sides have a "wink-nod" agreement that if Bell doesn't show up at this year, the Steelers will agree not to re-tag him next spring and grant him the free agency he so badly craves. It's clear neither side wants anything to do with the other right now.

If that’s the case why wouldn’t they just rescind the tag? Is it the pick that they may or may not get? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boozted said:

If that’s the case why wouldn’t they just rescind the tag? Is it the pick that they may or may not get? 

Can't rescind or else he will potentially sign with a division rival.

4 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

This.

So far, great news, but still not much clarity, i dont want to get my hopes up.

55 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

It's actually been reported that if Bell doesn't play at all, the Steelers giving him the exclusive tag again automatically counts as a third tag, and incurs QB salaries [which would be insane for the Steelers to do].

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/17/17984660/the-leveon-bell-saga-separating-fact-from-fiction-news-rumors-holdout-franchise-tag-nfl-update

Now, it's somewhat unclear whether that's accurate. I read the relevant CBA portions and it seems legit, but I'm not a lawyer.

But if Bell or his agent has received confirmation from the NFL or the NFLPA that this is the case, I see at as likely that he stays away all season. He knows the Steelers can't afford to and won't want to give him an exclusive tag for >$20M in 2019. 

However, if the above is incorrect, then it's just a gamble that if he stays away they won't tag him again. I can't imagine the Steelers wanting to go through this again in 2019, so even without a wink/nod agreement the likelihood is low IMHO that they'd tag him again. 

And that's good information. But as you say, I'm not certain it's accurate either. Which makes this possibility still just one of too many possibilities, none of which seem likely. Could happen, sure. But I see no reason to think this has better odds than him playing, him reporting and not playing, him reporting and putting on a mascot suit, him reporting and selling hotdogs in the stands, etc.

49 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

This makes no sense. Cleveland isn’t a threat because they won’t play them again this season and they sure as hell won’t make the playoffs, Cincinnati already has Mixon who’s cheaper and isn’t much of a drop off from Bell and Baltimore I’m pretty sure can’t afford Bell cause they’re capped out. 

4 minutes ago, Boozted said:

This makes no sense. Cleveland isn’t a threat because they won’t play them again this season and they sure as hell won’t make the playoffs, Cincinnati already has Mixon who’s cheaper and isn’t much of a drop off from Bell and Baltimore I’m pretty sure can’t afford Bell cause they’re capped out. 

Think he meant conference rather than division. 

Ok so Bell isn't here this week...onto the matchup. @BALT.

Not good. Last matchup in PIT Conner went 9-19-0, 3-25-0. 

Very difficult to sit this guy. I'd say his floor is higher than previously. Could still see 4 to 5 catches, maybe 50 ish yards with a 50/50 chance at a TD.

Is anyone sitting him? And if yes, for who?

2 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Interesting....

There doesn't need to be any sort of secret agreement- I've been saying this for weeks/months: this is the most logical scenario. 

Speculation of some secret deal is just this guy trying to cover his a-- for not knowing anything the entire time.  Unlike all the times these guys have said he's going to come back week x, this theory isn't likely to be proven wrong since it's based on assumed denial - therefore the NFL "Insider" doesn't look like an idiot who has no greater insight than the rest of us.

My theory: Bell and his camp have been winging it the whole time.  He originally intended to repeat his process of last year, but had second thoughts and was talked out of it at the last moment. There hasn't been a plan since then, as Bell wavers between his desire to play and the business decision to hold out.  Earl Thomas injury shifted the balance toward sitting out, trade discussions shifted the balance toward sitting out, and finally the Steelers plan to exempt him shifted the balance to sitting out.  And the longer he's away, the less likely it is for him to return.  

There is a lesser possibility that he returns week 11 than there is that he stays away the whole season. 

Next year, if at 2nd not 3rd year status, he'll either be franchised and traded to a team partially of his choice (a la Jarvis Landry) or he'll be transition tagged - or the Steelers will let him walk, but I think they'll try to get some compensation. 

The reason he wasn't traded this year is because the Steelers thought he'd play like last year, and I believe Bell was planning on doing so until the last minute.  Had Bell made up his mind early in the offseason, a deal could've been negotiated with another team who'd then trade for him.  But that's not what happened, so we get months of nothing but guesswork based on the preconceived assumptions of whoever's guessing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Ok so Bell isn't here this week...onto the matchup. @BALT.

Not good. Last matchup in PIT Conner went 9-19-0, 3-25-0. 

Very difficult to sit this guy. I'd say his floor is higher than previously. Could still see 4 to 5 catches, maybe 50 ish yards with a 50/50 chance at a TD.

Is anyone sitting him? And if yes, for who?

Start your studs... I'm hoping PIT learned from those early losses where James wasn't utilized that they need to have a credible rushing threat to win. 

That said, due to bye weeks and Sony's injury, I'm starting WR in my flex spots this week and still don't have anyone that I'd start above Conner in one league, and Conner will be my RB2 behind Gordon in another. Certainly not starting Shady over him ;-)