Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burty1

Luke Voit 2018 Outlook

Just got the call and came out swinging.  With Bird barely above the Mendoza line, is Voit in line for semi-regular at bats down the stretch?

Is he worth a speculative pick up?

Every time I hear his name I can't help but think of that Seinfeld episode.

Just drivin' around in Luke Voit's car....

OK CSB aside there's not much competition here.. so deep leagues.. Sure, why not? 

He's the Yankees starting 1B now.  Whether he's worth rostering is a different story.  Maybe he catches some lightning in a botte.  Been hitting a lot of homers lately.

38 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

He's the Yankees starting 1B now.  Whether he's worth rostering is a different story.  Maybe he catches some lightning in a botte.  Been hitting a lot of homers lately.

Yeah, there's no reason to ever start Bird again unless Voit completely falls apart.

He has no real meaningful major league track record, so it's hard to say if he's going to keep being worthwhile for fantasy or not.  If you missed out on Morales and really need a CI, I can see rostering him just to see how everything goes.

I’m taking a shot because I need a first baseman and it’s not as deep as it once was. 

Ive been reading up on him and I came across this article.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2018/7/30/17626544/new-york-yankees-cardinals-luke-voit-aaa-first-baseman-chasen-shreve-exit-velocity

out of 466 hitters with at least 50 batted balls Luke Voit was 11th on Exit Velocity with (91.3).

Behind Judge (94.9) , Cruz (93.2) , Gallo (93.1), Sano (92.3) , Khris Davis (92.2) , Stanton (91.9), Yandy Diaz (91.5) , Ryan Zimmerman (91.4) , Goldy (91.4) and Tomas (91.3).

he’s ahead of guys like machado, JD Mart, Hoskins, Olsen, Gary Sanchez.

Voit’s sample size is small compared to others on the list but it’s interesting nonetheless. There are some big time Homerun hitters on that list. 

He’s been considered a Quad A player but he’s not alone. Guys like JD Mart and Aguilar busted onto the scene late in their careers. I’m not saying he will be those guys but some do breakout late. JD Mart didn’t eclipse 20 homers until he was 26 years old (including minors). 

In 2017 with the Cardinals he only had one stretch where he played more than 3 games in a row. That stretch was 7 games and he hit 3 homers during that span. He started to fall apart when he was only playing twice a week. 

In the past his K rate was always around 17%-20% in the minors but it was 25% in 2017 with the cardinals and 29% this year. He has always had a solid walk rate that hovers around 9.5% (almost 10% this year). 

I’m not sure if he will be good or not but he is interesting. I like the Exit Velocity stat although it was a small sample size. Solid walk rate and some power. He hit very well when he got the chance to play everyday with the Cardinals in 2017. He must have been filling in because of an injury. He had that nice 7 game stretch (homered in his last game) and then he hit the pine. It wasn’t like he hit homers in the first 3 games and then went 0-4 in the next 4 games. 

He’s created an opportunity for himself late in the season. I’m taking a shot to see if he can make the best of it. As someone said, there isn’t much competition for PT at first right now. 

Boone said in recent interviews that he has been really impressed with his AB’s. 

I'm pulling for the kid, but many of you would have good numbers against Baltimore. Hell, even Bird may shine against the O's. I wouldn't be shocked if Voit's numbers continue to be good for a while. A favorable hitter's schedule now and in the near future.

If you pick him up tonight be warned he faces Rodon tomorrow. Might be his toughest matchup next 5 games.

13 hours ago, Z06vette said:

I'm pulling for the kid, but many of you would have good numbers against Baltimore. Hell, even Bird may shine against the O's. I wouldn't be shocked if Voit's numbers continue to be good for a while. A favorable hitter's schedule now and in the near future.

If you pick him up tonight be warned he faces Rodon tomorrow. Might be his toughest matchup next 5 games.

He has the R v L advantage though. But Rodon has been a beast so we will see. He almost assuredly will be in the lineup at least.  

13 hours ago, Z06vette said:

he's starting tonight  - is Bird toast?

13 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

he's starting tonight  - is Bird toast?

Yankees could face 4 LHP starters this week, real test will be to see how many starts Voit picks up vs the 3 RHP.  Voit is batting cleanup tonight vs Rodon.

Starters vs Yankees this week:

Rodon L Shields R Lopez R Liriano L Zimmermann R Carpenter L Boyd L

Bird is done.  They're not going to platoon.  Yankees have 7 games in 7 days this week.  Good chance Bird gets a game to play out of those 7 but thats it.  Bird's had enough time to show something.

Just picked up Voit on a couple teams myself.  There's been so many damn injuries on my teams and anyone still available is not all that good anyway.

18 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Bird is done.  They're not going to platoon.  Yankees have 7 games in 7 days this week.  Good chance Bird gets a game to play out of those 7 but thats it.  Bird's had enough time to show something.

Just picked up Voit on a couple teams myself.  There's been so many damn injuries on my teams and anyone still available is not all that good anyway.

This.  Anything is possible with the Yanks obsession with Nick Johnson 2.0 (although now that may be considered a slight to NJ lol), but it is crunch time and those that perform, play...those that do not, sit if there are others who are.  Simple as that really. 

We may see a similar thing develop to a lesser of an extent if Sanchez comes back and continues his assault on the Mendoza line with shoddy defense given the way Romine has played this year.  The brutal honesty is that the Yanks have sorely missed Judge and Didi.  Sanchez is another matter as he has not hit well and his defense has been shaky at best.

Liking what I see so far from Voit. Quick bat that generates lots of power. Even has the Sammy Sosa hop finish. He has to get starts over Bird if he keeps hitting. I can't see him batting clean up for long but hey who knows. I'm in while it lasts. 

12 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

He has to get starts over Bird if he keeps hitting.

I think Bird is Voit's caddy at this point. 

10 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

I think Bird is Voit's caddy at this point. 

I don't know...Boone seems to stick with Bird as if he has compromising pictures of him.  2 for his last 45 and under the Mendoza line and he still gets to start semi-regularly.  Makes no sense at all.  Voit should be playing everyday while he is hitting.

Believe I read that in his limited big league sample he's really showing awesome exit velo...

With Cutch coming it eliminates the DH (as an OF needs to likely go there most games) so Boone needs to let him play 1B over Bird...

11 hours ago, secretagentman said:

I don't know...Boone seems to stick with Bird as if he has compromising pictures of him.  2 for his last 45 and under the Mendoza line and he still gets to start semi-regularly.  Makes no sense at all.  Voit should be playing everyday while he is hitting.

He hasn’t thus far. Voit has clearly taken over.   Bird has 3 starts in 7 games.  Or 2 in 5 games.    Voit has started 6 of 7.  

The yanks have a 3 man bench.   Back up C, Torreyes and one other.   It’s been mostly Bird lately.    

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Believe I read that in his limited big league sample he's really showing awesome exit velo...

With Cutch coming it eliminates the DH (as an OF needs to likely go there most games) so Boone needs to let him play 1B over Bird...

He already has.  I assume Stanton and Sanchez will mostly DH.   With a struggling Gardner also riding the pine vs lefties 

wirh everyone healthy and Bird still sucking, I can see Bird being left off the playoff roster.    Voit is now the, mostly, everyday 1B 

Hitting 5th tonight vs the RHP Zimm. Bird benched. 

It's Luke's world and we're all just living in it. 

2 hours ago, DidiFan said:

Hitting 5th tonight vs the RHP Zimm. Bird benched. 

It's Luke's world and we're all just living in it. 

These complainers must’ve missed something this week.   Bird is now a bench player who gets an occasional start. 

33 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

cant stop wont stop

Maybe someday, but hopefully not for a while.

He has to be exceeding even the expectations of the Yankees when they traded for him.

Greg Bird will be traded in the off season for a bag of balls and a bat lol.  If some team throws in a mid-level prospect, the Yanks will throw in Bird's personal trainer and a flunkie to help break in gloves for him.  If Cashman manages to get more than that, he will have achieved a good return.