machine3

Luis Urias 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Any comparisons to this guy? 

Think Jose Altuve...not as much power, not as much speed. Just turned 21 in June so power may still be developing. Elite hit tool & can play 2B, SS & 3B.

• Like 1

Admittingly,i dont know much about this guy. But Altuve? That seems ambitious. How about lemahieu? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Admittingly,i dont know much about this guy. But Altuve? That seems ambitious. How about lemahieu? 

That's the comp I read. Probably an empty average guy for now.

Walks more than he Ks, 70 hit tool with "impressive exit velocity" at a premium position... I'm in. 

Edited by DannyMcPot

LeMahieu and Cesar Hernandez come to mind as comps. He's a better real life prospect than fantasy guy for now, but he's only 21 and he progressed quickly through the minors so power and/or steals could come later.

Probably not worth racing to the wire for him unless you're in a dynasty/keeper where he wasn't available until he got to MLB.

In my defense, I did say less power & speed. Reading Altuve's prospect reports at the same age are eerily similar...as are many stats.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/7/21/2285733/prospect-of-the-day-jose-altuve-2b-houston-astros

I am not saying he's Altuve NOW. But he could be in couple-three years if continues to progress.

I have no problem adding him and seeing how it goes based on the hit tool alone.  If he ends up being LeMahieu initially, but likely with less counting stats based on the lineup, then maybe he won't be very exciting.  I'd rather own him and see how it goes though rather than leave him out there and he performs better than expected initially.  Also, with batting average being down overall league wide, it's not like help there is without value.  I'd actually be fairly happy if he ended up being another Jeff McNeil initially.

Yeah, and that can't be just a coincidence either.  It's really hard to tell any difference, with even their stance being basically identical.  Not a bad choice to copy obviously.

1 hour ago, wayzupusc said:

Think Jose Altuve...not as much power, not as much speed. Just turned 21 in June so power may still be developing. Elite hit tool & can play 2B, SS & 3B.

Whoa.

hes next in line of guys like Altuve as mentioned, but Lindor, Gleyber, guys with great swings and exit velocity that had little to no power in the minors but now are 20+ or even 30+ homer guys

I think he develops to a 15+ type guy but 40-50 doubles

• Like 1

He is absolutely someone to keep an eye over the next few years, especially if the power develops. Personally might take a flyer on him next year if he lasts into the late rounds.  If you're in a deep league and/or desperate for a MI he has been on a tear in AAA so I guess he could be worth a dice roll but I guess we'll see.

He's ready for the Majors as a hitter. There isn't much speed there and the power has not developed. His approach is elite and he does produce hard contact. He also profiles as an above average defender. He will be a good top of the order guy to start and keep rallies going by way of his outstanding batting. Altuve comparisons are just not going to fly. It's doubtful Urias will develop the 25 homer power JA has and he won't sniff the 30+ steals per year JA racks up. The power has to develop for Urias to really project as a great fantasy player. It's possible this player will be a better player for the Padres than our respective fantasy teams. However, guys who can (or should be able to) hit .300 in the bigs could provide use, especially to those in larger leagues. 

For this year, the middle infield is very deep right now... i don't think he'll be a difference maker. But next year on, maybe he develops the power everyone's mentioned.

13 minutes ago, blink said:

Altuve was never a top 100 prospect

But he may have been the guy that made those like him be graded higher than they otherwise may have been. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wayzupusc said:

But he may have been the guy that made those like him be graded higher than they otherwise may have been. 

Ding! As a White Sox fan the name Nick Madrigal is one to keep your eyes on and Altuve is EXACTLY the name brought up when we discuss this player. While Madrigal has beyond ridiculous bat to ball skills and is virtually impossible to strike out, projects as a gold glove caliber 2nd baseman and can run a little bit, he has exactly zero homers in 125 professional at bats this year. 

So as a White Sox fan I am excited with the prospect of a middle infielder who will likely develop into a .300 hitter who strikes out 1% of the time, but until he can show me the ability swipe 20 bags and put 20 balls into the seats I will temper my enthusiasm on him and won't compare him to Altuve until he produces the results that warrant that. Neither Nick NOR Urias should be compared to Jose because right now neither are in his class. The power, I HOPE, will come, but perhaps that's more wishful thinking, much like those Urias owners/fans. 

Honestly, I see both Urias and Madrigal as 10 homer guys at the MLB level. And Urias plays in a much more challenging hitters park to boot. 

Edited by kwolf68

41 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Ding! As a White Sox fan the name Nick Madrigal is one to keep your eyes on and Altuve is EXACTLY the name brought up when we discuss this player. While Madrigal has beyond ridiculous bat to ball skills and is virtually impossible to strike out, projects as a gold glove caliber 2nd baseman and can run a little bit, he has exactly zero homers in 125 professional at bats this year. 

So as a White Sox fan I am excited with the prospect of a middle infielder who will likely develop into a .300 hitter who strikes out 1% of the time, but until he can show me the ability swipe 20 bags and put 20 balls into the seats I will temper my enthusiasm on him and won't compare him to Altuve until he produces the results that warrant that. Neither Nick NOR Urias should be compared to Jose because right now neither are in his class. The power, I HOPE, will come, but perhaps that's more wishful thinking, much like those Urias owners/fans. 

Honestly, I see both Urias and Madrigal as 10 homer guys at the MLB level. And Urias plays in a much more challenging hitters park to boot. 

Urias > Madrigal

Me as a White Sox fan I was hoping The Sox would take Seth Beer.... I can't believe how far he fell.

Madrigal also has only 5 doubles in 36 games 0 triples 0 homers... Only walked 4.62% of the time as a pro so far.  People are amazed by Madrigals lack of strikeouts but again no power and low OBP skills.  Madrigal has a long way to go to catch up to Luis Urias.

14 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Urias > Madrigal

Me as a White Sox fan I was hoping The Sox would take Seth Beer.... I can't believe how far he fell.

Madrigal also has only 5 doubles in 36 games 0 triples 0 homers... Only walked 4.62% of the time as a pro so far.  People are amazed by Madrigals lack of strikeouts but again no power and low OBP skills.  Madrigal has a long way to go to catch up to Luis Urias.

I stated Madrigal's early returns were very lackluster, but to say he is far off Urias can be challenged, because Urius' minor league career is littered with the same lackluster power numbers. Urius has been a minor leaguer since 2014 with yearly home run totals of:

2014-0

2015-0

2016-6

2017-3

2018-8

How is Madrigal, a player who has 150 career pro at bats (versus 5 years) so far off this guy? You over-rated Urias. In fact, I think the comp is legit, both are outstanding fielders with great hit tools, but power projections may be lacking with similar sizes playing the same position. The comp fits. 

That said, I watched Urius tonight and I like his play in the field quite a bit. How much will he hit? In Petco against big boy pitching is TBD, but the Padres are doing the right thing, put him into the 2-hole and let him grow. 

Regarding Beer, he fell because he does nothing but hit and there are even questions about that part of his game to some extent (scouts wonder if his swing will play up v. MLB pitching). He is either a 1B or DH, provides beyond useless speed and little defensive utility. He can rake for sure, but he fell for a reason. He would be an outfielder that would make Dan Palka look like Willie Mays. At best, he may become a serviceable 1st baseman and that is even an area that needs lots of work. He'll eventually end up as a DH. If the swing plays up, he still may hit for a good average and lots of homers, he better because nothing else will get him in the bigs. 

The top of the draft was suspect after Mize and Bart left the board. The kid the Mets got at 6 intrigues me as does a couple Rays picks, but if the Sox really wanted Seth Beer they were not going to use the 4 overall pick on him. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

[Several removed.  Overturned dingers are just one reason we ask folks to use the GDT instead of posting play-by-play updates in the outlook threads.]

15 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

I stated Madrigal's early returns were very lackluster, but to say he is far off Urias can be challenged, because Urius' minor league career is littered with the same lackluster power numbers. Urius has been a minor leaguer since 2014 with yearly home run totals of:

2014-0

2015-0

2016-6

2017-3

2018-8

How is Madrigal, a player who has 150 career pro at bats (versus 5 years) so far off this guy? You over-rated Urias. In fact, I think the comp is legit, both are outstanding fielders with great hit tools, but power projections may be lacking with similar sizes playing the same position. The comp fits. 

That said, I watched Urius tonight and I like his play in the field quite a bit. How much will he hit? In Petco against big boy pitching is TBD, but the Padres are doing the right thing, put him into the 2-hole and let him grow. 

Regarding Beer, he fell because he does nothing but hit and there are even questions about that part of his game to some extent (scouts wonder if his swing will play up v. MLB pitching). He is either a 1B or DH, provides beyond useless speed and little defensive utility. He can rake for sure, but he fell for a reason. He would be an outfielder that would make Dan Palka look like Willie Mays. At best, he may become a serviceable 1st baseman and that is even an area that needs lots of work. He'll eventually end up as a DH. If the swing plays up, he still may hit for a good average and lots of homers, he better because nothing else will get him in the bigs. 

The top of the draft was suspect after Mize and Bart left the board. The kid the Mets got at 6 intrigues me as does a couple Rays picks, but if the Sox really wanted Seth Beer they were not going to use the 4 overall pick on him. 

Urias is further advanced than Madrigal because Urias is actually a few months younger than Madrigal yet Urias is in the majors and Madrigral is hitting below average in Advanced A.  Yeah it's Madrigal's first year in proball so the learning curve will benefit him there.  But not so much that Madrigal's going to all of a sudden break camp next spring.

Madrigal had 16 extra base hits in 42 games in college.  He now has 5 extra base hits in 32 games as a pro.  I'd rather have a guy who strikes out with power than a guy who rarely strikes out but is empty average.  Even Madrigal's SBs as a pro have drastically dropped off.

• Like 2