wendellrott

Marquez Valdes-Scantling 2018 Outlook

So I'll ask again.... Do we think this guy is more talented than Allison?  Are they similar?  Rodgers talked up Allison earlier this year - has he commented on MVS?

1 minute ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

So I'll ask again.... Do we think this guy is more talented than Allison?  Are they similar?  Rodgers talked up Allison earlier this year - has he commented on MVS?

Not sure about Aaron Rodgers quotes but this is a great opportunity play.  The WR3 for Rodgers has significant value, let alone the WR2.  

As far as comparisons, MVS seems way more athletic and a bit bigger than Allison.  MVS is 6'4'', 206 - Allison is 6'3'', 196.  An inch taller and about 10 pounds heavier, but his workout metrics are significantly higher.

MVS:

40 Yard: 4.37

Speed Score: 117.6

Burst Score: 113.9

Agility Score: 11.02

Catch Radius: 10.09

SPARQ: 111.2 (69th Percentile)

Geronimo:

40 Yard: 4.67

Speed Score: 84.7

Burst Score: 119.6

Agility Score: 11.68

Catch Radius: 9.88

SPARQ: NA

So MVS is slightly bigger and smokes Geronimo in about every category.  I think Geronimo got the nod to begin the year due to his familiarity in the offense and with Rodgers.  However a few more games like last week, and MVS might permanently be option #2 in this offense.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phegotgame14 said:

Allison/Cobb Practicing. Monday Night Game. He's a sit...otherwise you risk a 0 

https://www.12up.com/posts/6194332-packers-wrs-randall-cobb-and-geronimo-allison-missing-practice-again-on-thursday?view_source=leagues_page&view_medium=[nfl]

Huh?

Line ups aren't locked in yet unless you're debating a Thursday night guy.  MVS vs. Clement for example is a decent debate, and one I'm facing myself.  However, if you're comparing Sunday players vs. MVS, we can see how the practice reports shake out the next few days.  But Cobb and Allison both DID NOT practice today, Thursday, October 11th.

Edited by Fort4242
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

https://www.12up.com/posts/6194332-packers-wrs-randall-cobb-and-geronimo-allison-missing-practice-again-on-thursday?view_source=leagues_page&view_medium=[nfl]

Huh?

Line ups aren't locked in yet unless you're debating a Thursday night guy.  MVS vs. Clement for example is a decent debate, and one I'm facing myself.  However, if you're comparing Sunday players vs. MVS, we can see how the practice reports shake out the next few days.  But Cobb and Allison both DID NOT practice today, Thursday, October 11th.

Geronimo Allison (hamstring) returned to Packers practice on Thursday.

As did Randall Cobb (hamstring). It gives both a shot at returning for Monday night's game against the 49ers. Even with both sidelined in Week 5, Aaron Rodgers threw for the second-most yards of his career. Allison and Cobb's return would kill Marquez Valdes-Scantling's WR4 appeal. We should know Allison's status by Saturday.
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ccimore said:

Geronimo Allison (hamstring) returned to Packers practice on Thursday.

As did Randall Cobb (hamstring). It gives both a shot at returning for Monday night's game against the 49ers. Even with both sidelined in Week 5, Aaron Rodgers threw for the second-most yards of his career. Allison and Cobb's return would kill Marquez Valdes-Scantling's WR4 appeal. We should know Allison's status by Saturday.

Just now, RUGOO said:

both cobb and allison returned to practice , conflicting earlier reports.  

Yeah damn just saw the tweet - this is why I love these forums - info constantly being updated and brought in here.  Thanks for the updates fellas. 

• Like 1

Yep, must sit--esp being a Mon game. I still see value here eventually, a firm hold in dynasty and deep (16+) leagues.

Both of the guys in front of him have hamstring injuries, one is on the trading block and the other one went undrafted.

I'm not dropping

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yep, must sit--esp being a Mon game. I still see value here eventually, a firm hold in dynasty and deep (16+) leagues.

Unless you also own Allison, like I do!

6 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Unless you also own Allison, like I do!

Yeah, great point. That makes sense.

Just now, Tugginroot said:

GtD for the two regulars, but seems like Cobb still sits. Anybody taking the gamble?

I'm thinking about it..just bc of how big of an underdog i am this week..debating between him and robbie anderson

Valdez plays in the slot (and would take Cobb's snaps), whereas Allison plays outside, yes? 

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Is he a top-24 play this week if it's just him and Adam's? How could he not be?

Nope. Packers will beat SF and Rodgers won't need to pass it more than 34-35 times. Scantling will be third option behind Adams and Graham. If Allison is out, MVS is a solid flex option but not top 24.

Per Lisa Salters, it looks like both Cobb and Allison are expected to miss tonight’s game.

The kid should have another opportunity to show what he can do.

6 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Per Lisa Salters, it looks like both Cobb and Allison are expected to miss tonight’s game.

Hope he shows well, I would love to see him take Cobbs spot in this offense.

54 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Wish they had played yesterday, would have loved to run him out there. Kept him rostered though and crossing fingers he sows out and forces husband way into starting offense. Long shot.

Anyone think there's opportunity for MVS to supplant Allison and/or Cobb in the offense? 

Not a Packers fan and I don't follow the team that closely but I feel like veteran QBs like Rodgers prefer throwing to guys who they're comfortable with. Especially Rodgers, who makes a lot of his big plays on broken plays/scramble drill, which requires his WRs to improvise and know when/where to break off the route. 

Do we have any evidence that MVS can become a Rodgers favorite, to the point where he can stick in 3-wide sets? Or is this just a long-term play for 2019 when Cobb moves on?

2 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Anyone think there's opportunity for MVS to supplant Allison and/or Cobb in the offense? 

Not a Packers fan and I don't follow the team that closely but I feel like veteran QBs like Rodgers prefer throwing to guys who they're comfortable with. Especially Rodgers, who makes a lot of his big plays on broken plays/scramble drill, which requires his WRs to improvise and know when/where to break off the route. 

Do we have any evidence that MVS can become a Rodgers favorite, to the point where he can stick in 3-wide sets? Or is this just a long-term play for 2019 when Cobb moves on?

Cobb will only play 1 or 2 more games