Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B&F

September Closer Thread 2018

Who is next in line in AZ. I can't imagine Hirano had much of a leash. I could see Archie getting the next opp. I'm debating about picking up Diekman though. 

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Hirano with a blown save now after getting his first save last night.  Walk off 2-run HR to DJ.

I'm seriously considering not even bothering to draft closers next season.  All they do is give up walk-offs anymore it seems...

This was a weird year for closers. So many closers got moved before and at the trade deadline; most got traded to be 7th and 8th inning options for contending teams. 

I must say, chasing saves is a big (fun) part of fantasy baseball.

7 hours ago, Gryfter said:

This was a weird year for closers. So many closers got moved before and at the trade deadline; most got traded to be 7th and 8th inning options for contending teams. 

I must say, chasing saves is a big (fun) part of fantasy baseball.

Honestly, not that many got moved at the deadline this year.  At least nowhere near as many as was rumored to.  It was actually somewhat disappointing if you missed out on Leclerc or Yates, as the only handful of good options left were stuck in their setup roles because the closer didn't get traded.

It usually is, but I guess it just kind of goes with the rest of the season.  This season has been awful as a whole, and closers have been almost more useless than useful since the All-Star break.

12 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

What’s with the extended rest for minter??

Weird. I didn't see an explanation anywhere on rotoworld/twitter. I'd love to free up a roster spot with the short docket today if he's unavailble/not closing for some reason.

Anyone know why knebel wasnt awarded a hold last night?  Came in in the 5th with a 2-0 lead and pitched 1.2 innings, giving up 1 unearned run.  Is it because he came in before the game was official?

6 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Honestly, not that many got moved at the deadline this year.  At least nowhere near as many as was rumored to.  It was actually somewhat disappointing if you missed out on Leclerc or Yates, as the only handful of good options left were stuck in their setup roles because the closer didn't get traded.

It usually is, but I guess it just kind of goes with the rest of the season.  This season has been awful as a whole, and closers have been almost more useless than useful since the All-Star break.

Colome, Familia, Herrera, Soria, Hand, Britton, Brach, Kela, Rodney...

Ken Giles, Roberto Osuna...they remained closers, just on opposite, new teams.

I doubt he's going to do anything but 8th inning duty, but these are Ryan Pressly's numbers before and after the trade in 2018:

Twins:

47.2IP

69 K's

19 BB's

46 H

5 HR

3.40/1.36

Astros:

18.2IP

25 K's

1 BB

9 H

1 HR

.96/.54

Yikes!

In H2H, this is a guy that can help you if you get into a dogfight over spot-starters

Here is an article: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ryan-pressly-and-the-houston-spin-machine/

Diekman pitching the 7th down 2 runs. They are either gonna give Hirano or another shot or they are going back to Box.

Welp Diekman is trash. Gave up a single, plunked a guy, and walked a guy and then pulled without recording an out. Feeling good about Hirano even after last night's blown save.

2 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Colome, Familia, Herrera, Soria, Hand, Britton, Brach, Kela, Rodney...

Ken Giles, Roberto Osuna...they remained closers, just on opposite, new teams.

Ok, I should have been more specific.  Not that many got moved on "trade deadline day".  Colome got traded about 2 months before the deadline, Herrera was a month and a half before, and Rodney was acquired after the non-waiver trade deadline, so several shouldn't even be listed.  Not a huge deal, but just pointing out that we aren't on the same page. 

A lot were rumored for a long time as possibly being moved, like Shane Greene, Sergio Romo, and even Kirby Yates, and they didn't go anywhere.  That blocked some good potential closers like Alvarado in Tampa (until now for whatever reason), Joe Jimenez in Detroit, Craig Stammen in San Diego.  The actual day of the trade deadline was indeed a disappointment in terms of being able to pick up really any new closers.

Strop hobbled off the field after running to 1st. Closermonkey has Edwards and Cishek as next in line but Chavez has been getting the save ops when Strop has not been used.

23 minutes ago, itaos said:

Strop hobbled off the field after running to 1st. Closermonkey has Edwards and Cishek as next in line but Chavez has been getting the save ops when Strop has not been used.

What’s the timeline on Morrow’s return?  This should open the door back up for him, no?  Closer monkey is predicting a committee though 

43 minutes ago, itaos said:

I look forward to inevitably picking the wrong one.

18 minutes ago, indycolts88 said:

What’s the timeline on Morrow’s return?  This should open the door back up for him, no?  Closer monkey is predicting a committee though 

He said he will be back before season end pitching at less than 100%.

Edwards should be filling in without Strop, but has not been good, Cishek not much better and has been throwing less than an inning per outing. Chavez seems to be the guy Maddon trusts at the moment.

I’d suggest Chavez myself

19 hours ago, IceGoat said:

Who is next in line in AZ. I can't imagine Hirano had much of a leash. I could see Archie getting the next opp. I'm debating about picking up Diekman though. 

no one.  They've been winging it for awhile now

11 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

Anyone know why knebel wasnt awarded a hold last night?  Came in in the 5th with a 2-0 lead and pitched 1.2 innings, giving up 1 unearned run.  Is it because he came in before the game was official?

came in before the 5th was over.   Holds can only be awarded when a save is in line.   I've had this argument before.   

3 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Now Box is in down 2 runs. Looks like Hirano is the guy to own right now in Arizona.

no one is

9 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

came in before the 5th was over.   Holds can only be awarded when a save is in line.   I've had this argument before.   

makes sense...thanks

9 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

makes sense...thanks

But. I think I lost the argument.   I think Bumgarner got a 6 plus inning save in the post season.   So it seems pretty arbitrary with holds. Since it’s really not an official stat.  It’s supposed to work in correlation with saves.  But..........

44 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

no one is

I'd still say Hirano is.  One blown save doesn't mean he's all of a sudden trash.  Now, if he goes and blows the next one (still looks like he's the guy), then I'll be agreeing with you.

45 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

no one is

He got the last two save chances and then the other options pitched in non-save situations, even after Hirano blew one. This thread is all about speculation. If you are going to speculate on their bullpen then Hirano is clearly the guy to own right now.