Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B&F

September Closer Thread 2018

8 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I'd still say Hirano is.  One blown save doesn't mean he's all of a sudden trash.  Now, if he goes and blows the next one (still looks like he's the guy), then I'll be agreeing with you.

but one save doesn't mean he is the closer   he's 1 for 2

12 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

He got the last two save chances and then the other options pitched in non-save situations, even after Hirano blew one. This thread is all about speculation. If you are going to speculate on their bullpen then Hirano is clearly the guy to own right now.

i think it's totally open.  he went 1 for 2.     of course, if he got the last 2 the others pitched in non-save situations.  duh.       he saved one, so he got the next one.   so now its up in the air.   there hasn't been a save opp after Hirano blew one.  I think he gets the next one, maybe.   I would.t own him

11 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

i think it's totally open.  he went 1 for 2.     of course, if he got the last 2 the others pitched in non-save situations.  duh.       he saved one, so he got the next one.   so now its up in the air.   there hasn't been a save opp after Hirano blew one.  I think he gets the next one, maybe.   I would.t own him

I'm not trying to argue but I don't understand what you mean by of course the others pitched in non save situations. They pitched today when they were losing after Hirano blew it last night... If they were options they would have likely been held out of pitching today...

The only guy who concerns me is Bradley and he's been God awful lately.

10 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I'm not trying to argue but I don't understand what you mean by of course the others pitched in non save situations. They pitched today when they were losing after Hirano blew it last night... If they were options they would have likely been held out of pitching today...

The only guy who concerns me is Bradley and he's been God awful lately.

imo,    they have no closer.   they all pitch whenever.   been that way for 3 weeks or more.   look       it's    NO ONE.    THE D.BACKS DO not have a closer, I have been mentioning this for awhile.   Just because, suddenly, Hirano converted a save it doesn't mean they have one now.   Boxberger converted 4 in the last 2 weeks

1 hour ago, David Aames said:

Who closes for the cubs. ...also ..is fry still the closer for the white sox?

Frustrated fry owner myself. Theyve had like 1 save opp in a month it seems. Very hard to tell.

Owners of Fry and Smith are pretty frustrated because neither team is winning games. 

8 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Ok, I should have been more specific.  Not that many got moved on "trade deadline day".  Colome got traded about 2 months before the deadline, Herrera was a month and a half before, and Rodney was acquired after the non-waiver trade deadline, so several shouldn't even be listed.  Not a huge deal, but just pointing out that we aren't on the same page. 

A lot were rumored for a long time as possibly being moved, like Shane Greene, Sergio Romo, and even Kirby Yates, and they didn't go anywhere.  That blocked some good potential closers like Alvarado in Tampa (until now for whatever reason), Joe Jimenez in Detroit, Craig Stammen in San Diego.  The actual day of the trade deadline was indeed a disappointment in terms of being able to pick up really any new closers.

LOL, cool.

My original post did specify before and at the trade deadline.

As for the non trades, I drafted and held onto Joe Jimenez...wasnt too happy about that one.

3 hours ago, Gryfter said:

LOL, cool.

My original post did specify before and at the trade deadline.

As for the non trades, I drafted and held onto Joe Jimenez...wasnt too happy about that one.

True, but your post with your list didn't specify.  Oh well.  No big deal.

Yeah, that's the main one I was stashing as well since he was one of the best ones that would have stepped in.  It's not like other teams didn't trade for mediocre relievers, but once again, oh well I guess.

4 hours ago, pinkfloyd302002 said:

Chavez has several saves lately for the Cubs. Would think he would be up next. No?

I have no idea who Madden will choose but I don’t think it’s safe to assume it’ll be Chavez based on the fact he has 3 fairly recent saves. If you look at the box scores of those saves, they came in a rather fluky manner. His last save came pitching the 10th inning after Strop, Edwards, and Cishek already pitched. Before that he had the chance when Strop ran into some trouble in the 9th, again after all those other dudes pitched. And before that he got the chance when those other guys had pitched 2 days in a row. Throw in the fact that he came in in the 5th last night and I’d say he’s an option but probably not the favorite. 

I think this is one of those situations where Madden will take a committee approach at first until someone emerges. The problem for us is he has potentially 5-6 options who could probably get the job done.

Is Alvarado the guy in Tampa? I’m holding but considering dropping for Greene who got dropped. Alvarado is clearly the better arm but I’ve read varying reports on who has the 9th for Tampa. Closer monkey has Alvarado though. Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Viz back today? I'm guessing he'll be closing by next week.

Would you rather roster Viz or Alvarado?

4 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Would you rather roster Viz or Alvarado?

Viz I think, have to see what happens the next few days

2 hours ago, tywalson said:

Is Alvarado the guy in Tampa? I’m holding but considering dropping for Greene who got dropped. Alvarado is clearly the better arm but I’ve read varying reports on who has the 9th for Tampa. Closer monkey has Alvarado though. Thoughts?

I think Alvarado is the guy. I finally dropped Romo for him because Romo isn't pitching at all these days.

5 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I think Alvarado is the guy. I finally dropped Romo for him because Romo isn't pitching at all these days.

Have they given a reason why? Is it just to give the old guy some rest down the stretch?

50 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Have they given a reason why? Is it just to give the old guy some rest down the stretch?

I've searched and haven't found anything. No idea as Romo was doing pretty well. I think Romo is a FA next year so maybe they are just trying to see what they have for next year.

8 hours ago, tywalson said:

I don't think Tampa will necessarily use a traditional closer. This is the team that brought us the opener. They do things differently down there.

That said, Alvarado has been lights-out lately and should get a good chunk of the save opps, just maybe not all of them.

Cubs leading 3-2 in the 8th. Looks like I’ll be staying up a little longer to see who gets first crack at the closer gig.

jorge de la rosa. pitching the the top of the 9th Cubs up 3-2.Facing Ervin, Casali and the pitcher spot. 

Welp. 

4 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

jorge de la rosa. pitching the the top of the 9th Cubs up 3-2.Facing Ervin, Casali and the pitcher spot. 

Welp. 

I wouldn’t look too much into it. Cishek, Chavez, and Edwards all pitched in 2 straight and 3 out of 4. I’m guessing George of the Rose got the call by default.

LMAO Maddon gonna Maddon. I'm honestly surprised he went with De La Rosa... I thought he was gonna go with Henry Rowengartner.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

I wouldn’t look too much into it. Cishek, Chavez, and Edwards all pitched in 2 straight and 3 out of 4. I’m guessing George of the Rose got the call by default.

Ah very good point. I kind of just flinched when I saw it because Maddon drives me nuts. 

Meanwhile with the Twins holding a 4-3 advantage at Kansas City heading into the the bottom of the 9th........

giphy.gif